Author Topic: Anyone else starting to get nervous  (Read 17273 times)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else starting to get nervous
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
Wow, people all sorts of fired up. Well, I personally thought that whoever that woman was did a terrible job acting like, anything. As for everyone else in the show, they were fine. I'm actually kind of interested in what all the people who want to know more about Dharma are looking for?? I mean, I thought everything we have been told kind of did a really good job at just wrapping them up. They were scientists that came to the island to study the strange effects of the island, they got in over their heads with the natives, and it all fell apart. I mean, aside from finding out how they even knew about the island in the first place, I don't see what else there is to be curious about regarding Dharma.

The big thing I want to see is them arriving and the convo's between Hanso and Jacob.  I want to know why they were allowed to stay there.  They were just like the group that the mother killed and they were allowed to stay.  They were men and women of science versus Jacob and faith.

Well they were allowed to stay until they started to get a bit too close to finding the light (I assume) and then the Purge happened.

I do like that explanation, since it's weird that Jacob would allow them to live there all those years and then one day he's like, "ummm, ya, I've had a enough of you, you've gots to go now"  Another question I've got on my list, what caused the order of the purge.

Yeah I was forever in the camp of MiB using the cabin gave the order, but after learning what we did about the Light and all it would make sense if Jacob ordered it in the same vein that Jacob's mom killed the villiage.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2010, 06:17:49 PM »
I want to know what Widmore's motive is in this whole stinking series. At first he's anxious to find the island because he wants Ben (Bring Ben back alive, kill everyone else). Now he wants the island in order to keep Smokie/MiB from leaving. Apparently wanting Ben was more or less irrelevant now that the show is ending. Ben and Widmore's personal feud/"game" got some brief airtime, then basically vanished from the storyline.

Not to mention Sun contacting Widmore. What the hell did that lead to, other than one scene with Sun trying to talk to Widmore about both of them wanting the same thing (or the same man)? That scene added zero to the season and the series and the story. It didn't even add much to the episode it appeared in lol. So what was the point?

And the whole Dharma thing kinda fizzled out in my opinion. For years they had the "mysterious" Dharma Initiative, creepy training videos and enigmatic leaders of the whole thing. They had online games and had viewers sign up for the Dharma Initiative. They had bios of the higher-ups in the organization, they had "viral videos" that were supposed to show the shenanigans and goings-on behind the scenes of Dharma. I mean, they invested a LOT into the whole Dharma Initiative storyline and asked viewers to jump in and invest a lot into Dharma, too. This wasn't like Ajira Airlines, where they just made a fake commercial and that's pretty much it lol. The writers REALLY wanted you to invest time and energy investigating all the aspects of the Dharma Initiative.

Now? Now Dharma is just a bunch of scientists who got killed off lol. Nothing special at all about them, even in the overall story of the island...just another group of people unfortunate enough to land on the island and end up dead. Their only significant action was drilling a bit too far down while creating the Swan hatch. That's it. The military had just as significant a role in everything by leaving Jughead on the island...but the military's story was over and done with in less than an hour. Dharma lasted something like 4 1/2 seasons.

And I can't help but think Aaron's role in everything is basically zilch lol. All the "You MUST raise your child, Claire!"/psychic freaking out and making sure Claire lands on--and gives birth on--the island/Charlie having religious dreams about saving Aaron/the "666" mention concerning Claire finding out she was pregnant/"Don't you DARE bring him back, Kate!!" dream/Locke with pitch-black eyes telling Claire it's her fault cuz she was supposed to raise Aaron herself...and all the other Aaron gibberish from the first several seasons..it's more or less irrelevant now, it seems. We wanted Aaron to be a real part of the proceedings so much that every strange young boy we saw on the island we swore must be Aaron lol. Our thinking was that "There's GOT to be more to Aaron's story", and it made us imagine all sorts of Aaron connections that, it turns out, weren't there at all. Is anyone really satisfied with what we've come to know about Aaron in all this?

And I'm guessing we'll never actually find out how the Others became the Others, why the people who were part of the Others became Others, etc, etc. Again, it turns out the big mystery behind these group of people is that, well, they crashed on the island lol. They're not original inhabitants of the island, they're not descendants of the Black Rock, they're not a branch of Dharma folk who went nuts and killed off everyone else in order to have the island to themselves. They're just random people who, for whatever reason, joined the Jacob cult. For my money, the other three scenarios would have been far more intriguing and interesting.

It just feels now as if the creators of "Lost" bit off a bit more than they could chew. And as the story and series is finally winding down, it's starting to show.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2010, 07:08:08 PM »
I agree with you, I am hoping the last 3.5 hours ties much of this together.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2010, 07:52:47 PM »
It just feels now as if the creators of "Lost" bit off a bit more than they could chew. And as the story and series is finally winding down, it's starting to show.

I don't know. I think alot of people are simply disappointed because it's not exactly what they were expecting for the end. There have been a ton of times in Lost where we think something may be vitally important and game changing, but as time goes on, we find out, it wasn't that major. I mean, remember when the biggest thing was "how are they going to find food now that the Oceanic 815 food carts are empty"?

The Sun/Widmore alliance, well it took all of 1 scene to create, and it had a pretty major impact on a vital scene that we saw played out from 3 different points of view on the dock. I think using 1 scene to create that kind of gun pointing suspense was worth it. Plus it had the major reveal to Sun that Jin was still alive.

The Dharma thing, you are not alone. I think there are alot of fans that would have been happy with Lost being about the Dharma Initiative. But it's not. The DI played an important role in the history of the Island and the journey of our characters, but the show isn't about Dharma. Viral marketing campaigns don't make a show. I'm not going to go into all the ways Dharma played a major role in the story (hatch, food drops, barracks, orchid, hydra, etc. etc.) but to just say they were nothing special is disingeuous.

As for Aaron, the full story has yet to play out, but yeah, I was kind of expecting a larger role for the first baby to be born on the Island for who knows how long. Then again, it really doesn't take that much away from the show because Aaron did have a large effect on the main characters lives, Charlie, Jack, Kate, and of course Claire. But yeah, we all thought there was more to it for this kid.

As for the Others, we kind of got their orgin story. The first Other was Richard. They are the extension of Jacob being protector of the Island. I just don't think we're going to get a scene that shows The Others High Council sitting around a table discussing diplomacy like it was some Star Trek movie.

There's nothing wrong with wishing for them to explain one thing, or expand on another thing, but the show is what it is. And we knew that when they said, "After 6 seasons, we are done." that not everything was going to be expanded on.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »
Casey Mac I have a question that needs a response or opinion.  Do you ever agree with anyone but yourself?  I personally feel the majority of us are in agreement that we need some type of closure. You can leave a leave a door open here or there but the damn roof is completely off. 

Seems to me that ABC pulled the plug prematurely when Darlton's couldn't give the network a straight forward answer as to where the show was going since they are so hush hush. 

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »
This is really interesting how this buzz about the end is playing out among the fans.

The producers created a show and an internet environment around it unlike anything ever before. Sure shows have sites where fans discuss the show, but Lost producers jumped in and created fake sites for Oceanic Airline and hid stuff in it! They invited us to play a game. We accepted. We watched each episode faithfully and hunted for Easter Eggs in the earlier seasons, posting screencaps of numbers and people in each others' backstories. We proposed theories and discussed them here and at other sites. The producers gave us more online content, more puzzles, more games to play with, even books to read. They dangled the carrot and we followed. For six years we've played the game and now it's coming to an end.

I think some of the fans are tired of playing the game and just want it to be over.
I think there are other fans who want to "win" the game and finally know all the hidden stuff, to find the hidden treasure, if you will. They kind of feel that the producers owe them this because of the buzz they helped feed and create about the show on television and online as well: Here's a mystery, now here's an answer, but another mystery. Lather, rinse, repeat. (But then again, based on that pattern, these fans should know better ;) )

And I'm one of those fans, a little of both really. I hope for a good ending; an ending that does the story and characters justice and does answer the major questions. I would love for it to be mind-blowingly awesome (think Sixth Sense), but don't really think that will happen. There's so much hype about it now anyway, that I figure the best way to watch it is to have no expectations, then I won't be let down.

If I don't like how it ends, I won't consider this six years of my life wasted at all. I learned A LOT of new stuff about philosophers, history, geography, books and time travel.  I used my mind and thought about possibilities, I discussed theories with people and I got to see a lot of shirtless Sawyer.
That can't be all that bad.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2010, 11:18:33 PM »
This is really interesting how this buzz about the end is playing out among the fans.

The producers created a show and an internet environment around it unlike anything ever before. Sure shows have sites where fans discuss the show, but Lost producers jumped in and created fake sites for Oceanic Airline and hid stuff in it! They invited us to play a game. We accepted. We watched each episode faithfully and hunted for Easter Eggs in the earlier seasons, posting screencaps of numbers and people in each others' backstories. We proposed theories and discussed them here and at other sites. The producers gave us more online content, more puzzles, more games to play with, even books to read. They dangled the carrot and we followed. For six years we've played the game and now it's coming to an end.

I think some of the fans are tired of playing the game and just want it to be over.
I think there are other fans who want to "win" the game and finally know all the hidden stuff, to find the hidden treasure, if you will. They kind of feel that the producers owe them this because of the buzz they helped feed and create about the show on television and online as well: Here's a mystery, now here's an answer, but another mystery. Lather, rinse, repeat. (But then again, based on that pattern, these fans should know better ;) )

And I'm one of those fans, a little of both really. I hope for a good ending; an ending that does the story and characters justice and does answer the major questions. I would love for it to be mind-blowingly awesome (think Sixth Sense), but don't really think that will happen. There's so much hype about it now anyway, that I figure the best way to watch it is to have no expectations, then I won't be let down.

If I don't like how it ends, I won't consider this six years of my life wasted at all. I learned A LOT of new stuff about philosophers, history, geography, books and time travel.  I used my mind and thought about possibilities, I discussed theories with people and I got to see a lot of shirtless Sawyer.

I'd agree with you more if they showed a shirtless Kate or a shirtless Sun lol :D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2010, 11:27:54 PM »
Casey Mac I have a question that needs a response or opinion.  Do you ever agree with anyone but yourself?  I personally feel the majority of us are in agreement that we need some type of closure. You can leave a leave a door open here or there but the damn roof is completely off. 

Seems to me that ABC pulled the plug prematurely when Darlton's couldn't give the network a straight forward answer as to where the show was going since they are so hush hush. 

Oh yeah. Totally. Along with myself, I also usually agree with me and I.

But seriously, folks. Yeah, I agree with different theories alot. For me personally, I try to avoid posts that simply say, "Yup, I agree." although when I think back, I know I've done that a few times.

You bring up a good point, and sure, maybe it's a flaw, in that I tend to respond to posts I disagree with, while I tend to quietly agree with the ones I'm on board with. Maybe I should have more posts where I say "/agree", but I generally consider that unnecessary.

As to the larger issue of, is Lost failing in it's finale...well even if I'm the only person in the world who thinks it, I'll still think this final season has been great. I'm not going to change the opinion of what I like based on what the majority thinks. And thats what we are talking about. It's a matter of taste if you like it or not. Honestly, I kinda feel sorry for those that arn't enjoying these episodes. After one ends, I'm filled with a sense of..."awwwwwweeesooommmmmeee". I don't know if I'd continue watching if after the episodes are over I thought, "well that sucked, I should have watched Sportscenter." Lord knows I've stopped watching a bunch of shows that initially caught my attention, but didn't hold it. (Most recently V)

So, if most of you agree that this final season isn't giving enough closure, cool for you. For me, personally, I'm not saying it's perfect with every question I had being answered, but they are covering enough of the bases for me to continue to have that "awwwweesssoooommmmeee" feeling. I'm really looking forward to the 23rd.

I'll throw this back at you though, and I'll use a metaphor inspired by Juggy's avatar. If you are in the middle of Lambeau Field, and you stand up and say, "Lombardi is sooo overrated." you are going to get a reaction. It's a free internet, so say whatever you want. But, be aware of the venue and don't be surprised at the reaction.

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2010, 11:41:06 PM »

Oh yeah. Totally. Along with myself, I also usually agree with me and I.

But seriously, folks. Yeah, I agree with different theories alot. For me personally, I try to avoid posts that simply say, "Yup, I agree." although when I think back, I know I've done that a few times.

You bring up a good point, and sure, maybe it's a flaw, in that I tend to respond to posts I disagree with, while I tend to quietly agree with the ones I'm on board with. Maybe I should have more posts where I say "/agree", but I generally consider that unnecessary.

As to the larger issue of, is Lost failing in it's finale...well even if I'm the only person in the world who thinks it, I'll still think this final season has been great. I'm not going to change the opinion of what I like based on what the majority thinks. And thats what we are talking about. It's a matter of taste if you like it or not. Honestly, I kinda feel sorry for those that arn't enjoying these episodes. After one ends, I'm filled with a sense of..."awwwwwweeesooommmmmeee". I don't know if I'd continue watching if after the episodes are over I thought, "well that sucked, I should have watched Sportscenter." Lord knows I've stopped watching a bunch of shows that initially caught my attention, but didn't hold it. (Most recently V)

So, if most of you agree that this final season isn't giving enough closure, cool for you. For me, personally, I'm not saying it's perfect with every question I had being answered, but they are covering enough of the bases for me to continue to have that "awwwweesssoooommmmeee" feeling. I'm really looking forward to the 23rd.

I'll throw this back at you though, and I'll use a metaphor inspired by Juggy's avatar. If you are in the middle of Lambeau Field, and you stand up and say, "Lombardi is sooo overrated." you are going to get a reaction. It's a free internet, so say whatever you want. But, be aware of the venue and don't be surprised at the reaction.

I like what you're saying and you just made me think, maybe that's what bothered me this week.  There was so much coming at me, my head filled with questions so quickly, just like it did in previous seasons.  Maybe  it took me back to times like when the hatch door map popped up...the digging around the net for hints and clues.  Maybe that's why I got so angry, this isn't season 2 anymore.  We've only got 3.5 hours left of this journey and I'm FREAKING OUT!! :)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2010, 01:12:43 AM »

I don't know. I think alot of people are simply disappointed because it's not exactly what they were expecting for the end. There have been a ton of times in Lost where we think something may be vitally important and game changing, but as time goes on, we find out, it wasn't that major. I mean, remember when the biggest thing was "how are they going to find food now that the Oceanic 815 food carts are empty"?

The Sun/Widmore alliance, well it took all of 1 scene to create, and it had a pretty major impact on a vital scene that we saw played out from 3 different points of view on the dock. I think using 1 scene to create that kind of gun pointing suspense was worth it. Plus it had the major reveal to Sun that Jin was still alive.

The Dharma thing, you are not alone. I think there are alot of fans that would have been happy with Lost being about the Dharma Initiative. But it's not. The DI played an important role in the history of the Island and the journey of our characters, but the show isn't about Dharma. Viral marketing campaigns don't make a show. I'm not going to go into all the ways Dharma played a major role in the story (hatch, food drops, barracks, orchid, hydra, etc. etc.) but to just say they were nothing special is disingeuous.

As for Aaron, the full story has yet to play out, but yeah, I was kind of expecting a larger role for the first baby to be born on the Island for who knows how long. Then again, it really doesn't take that much away from the show because Aaron did have a large effect on the main characters lives, Charlie, Jack, Kate, and of course Claire. But yeah, we all thought there was more to it for this kid.

As for the Others, we kind of got their orgin story. The first Other was Richard. They are the extension of Jacob being protector of the Island. I just don't think we're going to get a scene that shows The Others High Council sitting around a table discussing diplomacy like it was some Star Trek movie.

There's nothing wrong with wishing for them to explain one thing, or expand on another thing, but the show is what it is. And we knew that when they said, "After 6 seasons, we are done." that not everything was going to be expanded on.

Agreed Casey. Yeah you and I are often in the same camp. I think alot of people put so much time into theorizing what was going to happen on the show they became so certain of the outcome, and now that it is moving in a different direction they are a little upset. Dharma played a large part on the island. They grew and figured out things on the Island that no one ever came close to understanding before, and they became a danger to the very thing Jacob was supposed to protect. Dharma was then wiped out. We then got a follow up where we spent an entire freaking season with The Initiative, and still people want more. I for one am perfectly happy with the way this show is heading, and I think alot of the mysticism (the Aaron) stuff was introduced as other possible narratives open for discussion, but may turn out to be dead ends just like Ellie's maze. In the end we can go back and watch it after we know how to complete the maze, and see how it holds up. 

P.S. Aaron's story still needs to be told in the SideLinetm. It may have been that the psychic caught a glimpse of the SideLinetm when he gave Claire the warning. Just a thought.

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2010, 06:28:52 AM »
season 6 should have had at least 22  episode then they could have took their time to address most of the question

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2010, 06:39:24 AM »
I don't know. I think alot of people are simply disappointed because it's not exactly what they were expecting for the end.

I don't agree. I think most who are having some problems with how this season is unfolding didn't have specific ideas of how the show would end other than thinking we'd get several "Oh, wow" moments that help tie in a lot of the things the show has promoted over the years. Instead, we seem to be getting more than a few "Is that it?" moments lol. If I were to generalize, though, in the same manner you have, I'd say that most of the people who claim that fans are making too big a deal over stuff are really just wanting to defend their favorite show moreso than actually taking into account the validity of the criticisms. Everything is chalked up to fans not being patient enough, not being open enough, to wanting every small minute detail explained in length...funny, but it's never chalked up to the show may have just dropped the ball on occasion. It's ok to say that lol.

There have been a ton of times in Lost where we think something may be vitally important and game changing, but as time goes on, we find out, it wasn't that major. I mean, remember when the biggest thing was "how are they going to find food now that the Oceanic 815 food carts are empty"?

Actually, no I don't remember that being a real issue for anyone lol...especially on an island full of fruit, the occasional wild boar, and an ocean full of fish. Besides, that's really not the same thing as what people are complaining about...where the Losties would get more food didn't play at ALL into the mysteries of the island, Dharma, the Others...those are the things we're discussing, the things that made the show so captivating and worthy of theorizing about.

I have a friend who, midway through this season, said they felt like all the things they had been wondering about over the years no longer mattered. There are a few too many times this season where I felt the same way. And obviously I'm not alone.

How in the world did Sun confronting Widmore play ANY role in the dock scene? That scene could have and would have taken place even if Sun never met Widmore. She still could have a gun, she still could say things like "It wasn’t for you, Jin would still be alive" and "You're lying" even if she never talked with Widmore. She didn't need Widmore to hate Ben, she already hated Ben and wanted him dead, and that would have still been the case even without her confronting Widmore on the street. Their meeting was actually uneventful in terms of how it effected things afterwards.

You are missing some vital points,  here. For starters, the food drops, barracks and hydra did not play vital roles in the show. We were lead to believe they would...but what is occurring right now that could not have occurred if the food drops never occurred? What is occurring right now that could not have occurred if they lived somewhere else other than the barracks after the purge? Nothing. And if they never went to the Hydra? Nothing.

Right now this show is about Jacob, MiB, and why the island is important as well as why a new "protector" is needed. Nothing connected with Dharma is part of any of that, other than the Swan hatch--which I mentioned. Nothing else concerning Dharma turned out to be important afterall. Why they were there? Who cares, doesn't play a role in anything as we near the end of the series. Their experiments and activities didn't eventually provide the characters--and thus the audience--with a better understanding of what the island really is. All that took was a flashback of Jacob explaining the island to Richard in about 45 seconds lol...and nothing Jacob said puts any of the Dharma activity into a new perspective or shines a brighter light on things they did in the past. Who are the big wigs behind all of the Dharma stuff? Who cares, other than as an answer to a trivia question some day.

Dharma's existence provided some damn good mystery for about 2 seasons, then fizzled out in its importance. And, yeah, some of us think that was a damn shame it did, and that the show would be much better if it had provided better explanations.

I don't see how Aaron had a "large effect" on anyone other than Claire and possibly Kate. But the point is, the show made it seem as if something extremely important--or extremely dangerous and evil--was being effected by Claire's unborn child, that the kid would play a pivotal role in everything one day. I'd like to think that extremely important, extremely dangerous and evil thing was not simply letting Charlie be a surrogate father for a few months lol. I want to believe that the psychic saw something more troubling in his vision to make him put Claire on a plane other than allowing Jack to realize he has a step-sister ;)...

Think of it this way: imagine if we had found out this season that, had Aaron not been born on the island or if he had been raised by anyone other than Claire, the evil that the island is protecting would have surely escaped and caused the end of everything as we know it. THAT would have been an "Oh, wow" moment and would have put past episodes and comments about Aaron into a pretty cool context. But that didn't happen. Aaron is off living with his grandmother, and whatever it was that caused the psychic to freak out and buy Claire a plane ticket at his own expense seems irrelevant now. It just seems like yet another area in which the show dropped the ball.

You realize, though, that the show has yet to actually explain why the Others exist at all? Not even slightly. Well, that is unless the explanation is "They're just a bunch of people with no real importance other than Richard". And the leader of the Others was Ben!! Ben, one of the most memorable tv characters ever created...the group he was leading should have been given a better reason for existing. Again, the theories that fans came up with were actually VERY intriguing and interesting. I myself loved the idea that the Others were a splinter group from Dharma who tapped into the realities of the island and, because of that, found themselves wanting to protect it at all costs. It's too bad the writers didn't think giving an interesting back-story and history about the Others was worth the time. We don't even know how Widmore and Eloise became "Others", when they arrived on the island, if they arrived at the same time, etc, etc. Once more...the show dropped the ball in my eyes by overlooking some GREAT possibilities.

That doesn't mean that everything with the show is fine as it is and there are no valid reasons for criticism.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2010, 07:13:12 AM »
The difference between him and his brother was that Jacob was willing to remain, while his brother wanted to know more.  Is it really a sin or a crime to choose to do either? 

MIB as kid is science. He wants to know what is on the other side of the sea. He wants to know if there is more than just the island. He wants to explore, discover, know what the light is, use it, leave the place and discover where he comes from, why there are magnetic fields and how he can use them to get to his goal. He is like the Dharma initiative, like Jack, like Faraday. He wants to find a way to leave, a way to change things and won't quit, even if it will take him 2000 years.
Jacob as kid is religion. He just accepts there is a light to protect and doesn't need to know what it is. He accepts that the island is all there is and that it needs protection. He follows mother.

But in the end Jacob is the one who will leave the island regularly and who believes that not all men are bad and observes them, first the people his brother lives with, from the top of the hill. Later from the lighthouse. He brings them to the island, takes them away from their lifes and uses them. He starts a game to prove his brother and mother wrong and traps his brother on the island.
I think he uses the light to leave the island and to heal people.

There is too much information missing. The final episodes have to be filled with Jacob and MIB backflashes to understand how Jacob leaves the island, what powers he has, how he became Ilana's like a father, how he selected the candidates, how he numbers them and what the numbers are, where he got the leaders and others, what their function is, why he ordered the purge, why no babies can be born on the island, since when, why Walt, Desmond and Aaron are special, how he or MIB was trapped in the cabin, what Jughead did, what the Swan was and a lot more. To answer from now on every sentence spoken in the next episodes has to be an answer.
I only hope that MIB will finally be able to leave that place.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2010, 07:14:14 AM »

This is where a lot of my frustration is coming from. It turns out that all of the easter eggs, all of the online information is not important at all. It would of been cool if some of the stuff we learned on sites like this one ended up being a big piece of the puzzle. It does not look like that is going to happen. I don't hate the show or regret the energy I put into it. The title of this thread is "starting to get nervous". I have to admit that I am starting to get nervous that the show will not deliver, but I am holding out hope and trust in the writers that they still can pull it off.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »
I agree and disagree with too many ideas here to comment on them all.  I'll just say that yeah, I'm getting a little nervous that the end may be a bit of a letdown and there will be too many loose threads left hanging.  But on the other hand, I don't regret the time and energy I've spent on the ride.

I will comment on the debate about the 'others'.  I took from Richard's episode that Jacob decided he needed an 'ambassador' to deal with all the people who would come to the island over the years.  He gave the job to Richard who, conveniently wouldn't need to be replaced every 50 years or so.  From time to time, people came to the island who, although they weren't 'candidate' material, were worthy enough to be taken into the fold to assist Jacob's mission, such as Cindy and the 815 kids.  Children were especially welcome because of their innocence, sometimes at the expense of their rightful guardians.  Eventually, there were enough 'Others' that they needed a leader, although I don't know why Richard wasn't the one and only leader they ever needed.  We used to think the Others must know all the secrets of the island and some of us were surprised to find out that they didn't know much at all.  Even more surprising was that even Richard didn't have the answers.  Then, this past week, we learned that Jacob himself was just another castaway who got the top spot by default and not only is he not a deity of some sort, he's as imperfect as the candidates on his list of replacements.  Sure, I wish we had some more answers to some of the plots that seemed to just fizzle, but I'm content with how they left the story of the Others.