Author Topic: Anyone else starting to get nervous  (Read 12593 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else starting to get nervous
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm blaming the script too.  I loved Allison Janney on the West Wing and was looking forward to her role.  She had her moments, Welliver also.  I hated the entire part of Jacob, though, way too whiny.  All the "I don't want to"s and the "I don't care"s, I was expecting him to stomp his foot and say "Aw, shucks, mom" and have her tell him to watch his tone!   :D

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
I actually quite like the way Jacob has been played and developed.  (DON'T SHOOT!)  I had always imagined Jacob would be a god-like brilliant being, with the best wishes of humanity at heart.  But ever since we saw him sitting on the beach last season we know that's now who he is.  He took the job reluctantly.  He felt, rightly so it seems, that he was never MEANT to take on that responsibility.  It ended up being thrown at him.  He loved his mother enough and had enough belief in what she said to take up the reigns. 

The difference between him and his brother was that Jacob was willing to remain, while his brother wanted to know more.  Is it really a sin or a crime to choose to do either? 

Jacob's actor has started to show him not as some high immortal, but as a child born on the island with only the direction of his mother to guide him.  He doesn't WANT this, but he feels he MUST do it.  He's just as much the reluctant "hero" as Jack.  He is flawed, that's what makes him a more interesting character.  Especially one that holds such a huge part of the mythology.

IMHO!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2010, 01:35:02 PM »
I actually quite like the way Jacob has been played and developed.  (DON'T SHOOT!)  I had always imagined Jacob would be a god-like brilliant being, with the best wishes of humanity at heart.  But ever since we saw him sitting on the beach last season we know that's now who he is.  He took the job reluctantly.  He felt, rightly so it seems, that he was never MEANT to take on that responsibility.  It ended up being thrown at him.  He loved his mother enough and had enough belief in what she said to take up the reigns. 

The difference between him and his brother was that Jacob was willing to remain, while his brother wanted to know more.  Is it really a sin or a crime to choose to do either? 

Jacob's actor has started to show him not as some high immortal, but as a child born on the island with only the direction of his mother to guide him.  He doesn't WANT this, but he feels he MUST do it.  He's just as much the reluctant "hero" as Jack.  He is flawed, that's what makes him a more interesting character.  Especially one that holds such a huge part of the mythology.

IMHO!

This might actually be a big reason as to why Jacob has been doing this all this time. He sort of had the job thrust upon him, and doesn't want to do that to someone else, so he sets up this craziness so that the right person will come along and choose it.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2010, 01:38:02 PM »
You guys are being incredibly whiny.  Let's just agree that nothing would satisfy 90% of you.

Whiny is not a nice word to use.  However, I agree that you can't please all of the people all of the time.
There are people who watch the show for the mysteries.  There are those who like the sci-fi.  There are those (curse them) who watch for the friggin love triangles.  By whittling away certain aspects, they abandon some of their audience...so I tolerate the things I don't like.

I like this episode.

They could've given MIB a name, and then people would complain "But what's the mom's name?" 

Agreed.  There has to come a point where you stop explaining things, and the reason for this is as follows:
When you start writing a fantasy and include fantastic elements like super powers and miracles and things, you begin to paint yourself into a corner when it comes time to explain everything at the end.

Stephen King has a lot to say about this subject because he does this a lot.  The main point is that it's about the journey and not about the ending.  This is coming from a guy who has written some monumentally disappointing endings*.  I excuse this from him and from Lost because some fantastical elements cannot be satisfactorily explained and I would rather HAVE the elements and not have an explanation vs having those elements removed (or have the explanation be something stupid like "it was all a dream" or aliens or something).

The fact is there is no explanation for smoke monsters, time travel, magical islands or the eternal struggle for mankind's salvation that is gonna work for this crowd.  All the writers can do is explain the motivations of the characters we've all grown to love.

The fact that you people** are so demanding of answers about something that could never be satisfactorily explained is testimony to the success of the writers in creating a brilliant and engaging journey.

I for one thought the acting was fine and the episode delivered what I expected, which was showing the relationship between Jacob and MIB and the origin of their feud.  All I expect is for the show to tell the story that they intended, and any mysteries they leave unanswered aren't important to understanding the story.

The actors did a great job of portraying what they were: adult children who grew up in a place removed from the real world, naive to everything that wasn't Garden of Eden.  That woman is Jacob's whole world.  Give him a few centuries to become the kind of messiah figure who is coordinating Richard, DHARMA, and the Candidates.

* See Dark Tower, The Dome, etc.
** deliberate joshing

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
I'm not sure this question belongs here, but did we actually see Jacob's mother shaving her legs??? And if so, why? I'm not sure it was too popular at the time (23 AD) and it's not like she had a social group to worry about.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
I thought she was doing something with the thread for the weaving?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »
Good summary, creflo.

Remember that the finale will be the length of a full feature film.  And dang, they create, mount, and resolve plots in those things all the time!  On top of that we get one more regular episode.  I'm excited to see what they do with their remaining time.  Hopefully, balls-to-the-wall style.

nom- I KNOW, RIGHT?  I thought that was what she might be doing... not sure what they were trying to portray there.  Maybe her feminine side?  Maybe that she was a regular person at one point and is holding onto that in a small way?  Maybe that's what she weaves with?  

But check out this most likely irrelevant summary of "hair symbolism" in some book about the gods:
He comments upon the hair several times, and when asked what he would do to his prisoner, his immediate response is: "first I shall cut off your delicate locks," to which Dionysus responds, "my long hair is sacred; I am growing it for the god." This exchange proves a revelation, for while the Stranger could have been growing his hair as a promise to a god, as was common practice, his hair is long simply because he is the god himself.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2010, 01:59:40 PM »
So basically she was shaving her legs because she was preparing to leave the godly state and step into the land of the dead???

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2010, 02:03:10 PM »
So basically she was shaving her legs because she was preparing to leave the godly state and step into the land of the dead???
I have no idea! I'm not even sure if she WAS shaving her legs!  But I can't wait to watch that episode commentary when the season comes out!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »
Stephen King has a lot to say about this subject because he does this a lot.  The main point is that it's about the journey and not about the ending.  This is coming from a guy who has written some monumentally disappointing endings*.  I excuse this from him and from Lost because some fantastical elements cannot be satisfactorily explained and I would rather HAVE the elements and not have an explanation vs having those elements removed (or have the explanation be something stupid like "it was all a dream" or aliens or something).

Oh, I have to totally disagree with you there. It is most certainly about the ending. Example, Sopranos. And to paint an even lovlier picture for you, what if, come this Tuesday, you go to turn on LOST, and TPTB come on and say, "We thought you would like the mystery of what happens more than what we were going to tell you, so LOST is now cancelled forever." You would be okay with that?? In fact, Stephen King saying this does explain alot of his books, because I'll tell you what, I couldn't give a half a crap about his journeys or his endings.

I'm not sure this question belongs here, but did we actually see Jacob's mother shaving her legs??? And if so, why? I'm not sure it was too popular at the time (23 AD) and it's not like she had a social group to worry about.

I deffinitely think you misinterpreted that scene. Looked to me like she was trying to loosen the thread or something to that effect to make it easier to weave it.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2010, 02:46:20 PM »

Frankly, I’ve long had a bit of a problem with Mark Pellegrino’s performance as Jacob. Whether because of the way he’s been directed or by his natural inclination, Pellegrino has rendered Jacob as more of a pious simp than a sturdy conveyor of Lost wisdom.

I think this is really a fundamental difference of opinion. If you think Pellegrino hasn't been great, then I can see how you would have a problem with nearly all the acting in Lost. I guess I'm just easier to please when it comes to acting. If the acting is not so bad that it takes you out of the moment, then I don't even notice it, and that is usually my criteria for acting. If the acting is invisible, and you can focus on what is happening, then the actors are doing a great job.

I mean, I've never had a problem with Kate's delivery, or Jack doing his "look down, look back up, look down, look back up", or any of the acting in the show. And this episode, it's hard for me to criticsize award winning actors using clichee critic lines.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »

Frankly, I’ve long had a bit of a problem with Mark Pellegrino’s performance as Jacob. Whether because of the way he’s been directed or by his natural inclination, Pellegrino has rendered Jacob as more of a pious simp than a sturdy conveyor of Lost wisdom.

I think this is really a fundamental difference of opinion. If you think Pellegrino hasn't been great, then I can see how you would have a problem with nearly all the acting in Lost. I guess I'm just easier to please when it comes to acting. If the acting is not so bad that it takes you out of the moment, then I don't even notice it, and that is usually my criteria for acting. If the acting is invisible, and you can focus on what is happening, then the actors are doing a great job.

I mean, I've never had a problem with Kate's delivery, or Jack doing his "look down, look back up, look down, look back up", or any of the acting in the show. And this episode, it's hard for me to criticsize award winning actors using clichee critic lines.

They are cliche's for a reason though.

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »
Wow, people all sorts of fired up. Well, I personally thought that whoever that woman was did a terrible job acting like, anything. As for everyone else in the show, they were fine. I'm actually kind of interested in what all the people who want to know more about Dharma are looking for?? I mean, I thought everything we have been told kind of did a really good job at just wrapping them up. They were scientists that came to the island to study the strange effects of the island, they got in over their heads with the natives, and it all fell apart. I mean, aside from finding out how they even knew about the island in the first place, I don't see what else there is to be curious about regarding Dharma.

The big thing I want to see is them arriving and the convo's between Hanso and Jacob.  I want to know why they were allowed to stay there.  They were just like the group that the mother killed and they were allowed to stay.  They were men and women of science versus Jacob and faith.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »
Wow, people all sorts of fired up. Well, I personally thought that whoever that woman was did a terrible job acting like, anything. As for everyone else in the show, they were fine. I'm actually kind of interested in what all the people who want to know more about Dharma are looking for?? I mean, I thought everything we have been told kind of did a really good job at just wrapping them up. They were scientists that came to the island to study the strange effects of the island, they got in over their heads with the natives, and it all fell apart. I mean, aside from finding out how they even knew about the island in the first place, I don't see what else there is to be curious about regarding Dharma.

The big thing I want to see is them arriving and the convo's between Hanso and Jacob.  I want to know why they were allowed to stay there.  They were just like the group that the mother killed and they were allowed to stay.  They were men and women of science versus Jacob and faith.

Well they were allowed to stay until they started to get a bit too close to finding the light (I assume) and then the Purge happened.

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2010, 05:22:34 PM »

Well they were allowed to stay until they started to get a bit too close to finding the light (I assume) and then the Purge happened.

I do like that explanation, since it's weird that Jacob would allow them to live there all those years and then one day he's like, "ummm, ya, I've had a enough of you, you've gots to go now"  Another question I've got on my list, what caused the order of the purge.