Author Topic: Anyone else starting to get nervous  (Read 12958 times)

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else starting to get nervous
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 01:36:27 AM »
I'm not bothered by it.  In the end, it was interesting while it lasted.  Sometimes you need to just accept things without knowing every single detail.

My thoughts:

"You can polish a turd but it's still a piece of crap!"

An old quote from  the movie "Stand by Me"
GORDIE: Wagon Train's a really cool show. But did you ever notice that they never get anywhere? They just keep wagon training.

You could insert Lost in place of Wagon Train

I also wanted to say that my all time shark jumping moment is still "Flashes before your Eyes".  If any of you ever go back to Season 1 & 2 it was just an amazing show.  Great Cliff hangers with a double homicide. Then Season 3 ruined it all followed by a 4th and 5th compilation of mediocre television.  Now Season six just a whole bunch of hopping around the jungle and 3.5 hours left to say goodbye and good luck.  

I can except the fact that writers strikes = poor directing, decision making, and credibility

Laughing all the way to the bank and a Season 6 DVD with Extras and Answers which actually were just a ploy to buy a real neat 3D super special version of Sawyer Specs!  

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 01:39:14 AM »
dont forget the "movie deal".... they wont have to split the BUCKS with abc either

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 01:44:38 AM »
I'm not bothered by it.  In the end, it was interesting while it lasted.  Sometimes you need to just accept things without knowing every single detail.

And I hear what you're saying and I just read the questions yet to be answered post in the Season 6 main page.  For most of them in there, they're really not important, there nice to knows imo.  But if you can't explain to me how Dharma started and how it got there after it was the main part of this show for 3 seasons.  That's no small detail.
I think the Dharma stuff can be inferred adequately.  There's a huge amount of info about Dharma and the Hanso Foundation floating around including two ARGs, and at least 2 full seasons devoted to them.  It's not like they're inconsequential now.  They are tied into the story.  Just because you can probably read a book's beginning and skip to the end doesn't mean the middle part is worthless.  In fact, I'm glad Dharma and Hanso aren't the core of the story.  Mystical answers are more interesting the pseudo-science answers.

Offline louisianagirl76l

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 01:45:50 AM »
I'll just point out something you probably all noticed watching the show... Jacob's "Mom" summed up the entire LOST experience very aptly when she said (to Jacob's real mom), in effect, "Answering any question you could possibly ask will only raise more questions.  You should rest."  I think the writers were summing up the show in that one line.

Yeah I think it's there way of saying "look take what we give you and get over it. We're too freakin' lazy to try and tie up all the loose ends we created" Kinda like that rug ol crazy momma/Jacob were working on...It's just a big tangly mess.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 02:15:14 AM »
I'm not bothered by it.  In the end, it was interesting while it lasted.  Sometimes you need to just accept things without knowing every single detail.

And I hear what you're saying and I just read the questions yet to be answered post in the Season 6 main page.  For most of them in there, they're really not important, there nice to knows imo.  But if you can't explain to me how Dharma started and how it got there after it was the main part of this show for 3 seasons.  That's no small detail.
I think the Dharma stuff can be inferred adequately.  There's a huge amount of info about Dharma and the Hanso Foundation floating around including two ARGs, and at least 2 full seasons devoted to them.  It's not like they're inconsequential now.  They are tied into the story.  Just because you can probably read a book's beginning and skip to the end doesn't mean the middle part is worthless.  In fact, I'm glad Dharma and Hanso aren't the core of the story.  Mystical answers are more interesting the pseudo-science answers.

I guess the point is that if you showed someone new S1 to S6, but removed everything related to Dharma, I'm not sure the story would be any different.  Hard to imagine after it was a pivotal part of the show for so long.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 03:19:10 AM »
I said it in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.  Way back when, Darlton said that when we find out who Adam and Eve are it will prove that they knew where the story was going right from the start, but now that we know Adam is Brother and Eve is Mother it only proves that they had no idea how it would end.  The proof for this is that when Jack found the two skeletons in the cave they were wearng fairly modern clothing.  Mother and Brother were wearing very old home-spun clothes.  I don't expect much from the ending. 

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 03:28:27 AM »
I said it in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.  Way back when, Darlton said that when we find out who Adam and Eve are it will prove that they knew where the story was going right from the start, but now that we know Adam is Brother and Eve is Mother it only proves that they had no idea how it would end.  The proof for this is that when Jack found the two skeletons in the cave they were wearng fairly modern clothing.  Mother and Brother were wearing very old home-spun clothes.  I don't expect much from the ending. 

I thought of that, too...well, I thought about the fact that Jack said it would take "40 to 50 years for clothes to deteriorate to this level" (or words to that effect). I'm thinking that Adam and Eve died back in 1950 or something, maybe around the time Locke and the rest time traveled back to 1955, saw Richard and saw Jughead. But, noooo lol. I guess Jack's assessment of how long the clothing deteriorated was way off the mark. That's a weak explanation, though.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 03:30:00 AM »
Once again, looking at the Lostpedia pic of Adam and Eve, I barely see any clothes on them except for maybe a few unidentifiable tatters.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 03:32:43 AM »
To be more specific:

[Shot of skeleton.]

KATE: Who is he. How'd he get here?

JACK: I can't exactly perform an autopsy but there doesn't seem to be any major trauma to the bones. There's another one over here. Someone laid them to rest here.

KATE: Who?

JACK: I don't know.

KATE: Where would they come from?

JACK: Didn't you guys shoot a polar bear last week?

KATE: Yeah.

JACK: Where'd that come from?

KATE: Any idea how long they've been here?

JACK: Long. It takes 40 or 50 years for clothing to degrade like this.

Uh lol. 40 to 50 years? Try 400 to 500. No, try 4,000 to 5,000, maybe. Who knows. But "40 to 50 years" was CLEARLY off the mark in a big way if "Adam and Eve" were really Jacob's mom and brother.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 03:41:27 AM »
Man, if you guys are still thinking about Dharma at this point, the show has passed you by. We got all we are going to get about Dharma last season. We are so beyond some research group in the 1970's at this point in the show. I mean, you might as well be asking what the in-flight movie was for Oceanic 815. Dharma hasn't been mentioned once this season. They are not that important. They were just studying the Island.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 03:45:34 AM »
To be more specific:
To be more specific:

[Shot of skeleton.]

JACK: I can't exactly perform an autopsy but there doesn't seem to be any major trauma to the bones. There's another one over here. Someone laid them to rest here.

Uh lol. 40 to 50 years? Try 400 to 500. No, try 4,000 to 5,000, maybe. Who knows. But "40 to 50 years" was CLEARLY off the mark in a big way if "Adam and Eve" were really Jacob's mom and brother.
[Shot of skeleton.]

You're applying the science and logic to a show about a smoke monster, ghosts, and people who don't die?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 03:59:47 AM »
You're applying the science and logic to a show about a smoke monster, ghosts, and people who don't die?

No, the show's writers did when they included that line in the script for Jack to tell the audience.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 04:03:42 AM »
It's not the age of Adam and Eve that bothers me.

What bothers me is that their "proof that we knew where we were going all along" is two characters, one of whom is introduced at the end of Season 5 and the other one at the end of Season 6.  That's certainly no proof.  "Bad Twin" is better proof than Adam and Eve.  That was a complete letdown.

------

I have always been afraid that they couldn't deliver an ending that was worthy of the build-up they've created for 6 years.  This reveal makes me feel my fears were warranted.

Look, give them credit for attempting (and mostly succeeding) at writing a show of this much complexity to stand up to the scrutiny of a cult Internet following.  But the "origin of Jacob and MIB" was just as lame as the "origin of Richard".

"How do you know these things?"
"Because I'm special."
That's about as much explanation as we're going to get, I fear.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 04:05:58 AM »
Man, if you guys are still thinking about Dharma at this point, the show has passed you by. We got all we are going to get about Dharma last season. We are so beyond some research group in the 1970's at this point in the show. I mean, you might as well be asking what the in-flight movie was for Oceanic 815. Dharma hasn't been mentioned once this season. They are not that important. They were just studying the Island.

That's the problem. The show spent several seasons making it seem as if Dharma WAS important. You can't get why it bothers people that the show seems to now be saying "Nevermind" like Emily Litella from Saturday Night Live? lol

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 04:11:43 AM »
It's not the age of Adam and Eve that bothers me.

What bothers me is that their "proof that we knew where we were going all along" is two characters, one of whom is introduced at the end of Season 5 and the other one at the end of Season 6.  That's certainly no proof.  "Bad Twin" is better proof than Adam and Eve.  That was a complete letdown.

To me, the age of Adam and Eve kinda point to them NOT knowing "all along" where they were going, though. If they DID know all along that Adam and Eve would end up being Jacob's mother and brother that dies centuries ago, they wouldn't have had Jack say the line about the clothing taking "40 to 50 years to degrade". That makes it seem as if they had someone else in mind at the time, but changed it later on.

The ONLY way they can save themselves on this issue is by bringing up the ol' "Time works differently here on the island" stuff that Daniel said a few seasons ago lol...

I have always been afraid that they couldn't deliver an ending that was worthy of the build-up they've created for 6 years.  This reveal makes me feel my fears were warranted.

Look, give them credit for attempting (and mostly succeeding) at writing a show of this much complexity to stand up to the scrutiny of a cult Internet following.  But the "origin of Jacob and MIB" was just as lame as the "origin of Richard".

"How do you know these things?"
"Because I'm special."
That's about as much explanation as we're going to get, I fear.

Yeah, I agree, unfortunately. The whole "I'm special" stuff was an incredibly weak payoff.