Author Topic: Anyone else starting to get nervous  (Read 13799 times)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else starting to get nervous
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2010, 03:43:06 PM »
I'll just point out something you probably all noticed watching the show... Jacob's "Mom" summed up the entire LOST experience very aptly when she said (to Jacob's real mom), in effect, "Answering any question you could possibly ask will only raise more questions.  You should rest."  I think the writers were summing up the show in that one line.

I got the very same impression when I saw that clip on abc.com's sneak peeks.  It was like the were speaking directly to us, warning us that we are NOT going to get all the answers.  AND, they actually said this IRL. :)
On top of that, MIB talks about how because he is special he just knows how things work or how they are done.
I think this is a nudge from the writers for us as well.  We need to be more accepting of what is there.  Does it really matter HOW the Light ended up on the island?  Or is it more important to the characters and the show HOW the protection of the Light will work out?

Just to add- I thought them calling her "Mother" was a little to Psycho for my liking!

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »
I just want to add to the Adam and Eve mix that the producers recently stated that the story of Jacob and MIB came together after they introduced Ben and decided he would be taking orders from someone higher, Jacob and then that Jacob would have a nemesis, MIB.  All of this was discussed AFTER the first season, so there is no way that when they filmed the Adam and Eve scene they knew it was MIB and Mother.  Those characters hadn't even occurred to them yet.  With that said, I was satisfied with the reveal.  I wasn't too thrilled with the rest of this episode, though!

The only thing I can come up with then is the old theory (of mine and others) that the island is the Garden of Eden.  The light is the source of life (creation), death (punishment for sin) and rebirth (redemption).  MIB gave into his desire to use the power of the light (although the last push was ultimately Jacob's) just as Adam and Eve took the apple in the garden.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:22:38 AM by lostfan777 »

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2010, 04:04:01 PM »
Keep in mind that at the birth of the show they didn't have any idea how long it would air.  We all could have hated the end of season 2 and the network could have dropped the show.  At that point in the series they were really more concerned with the characters we saw on screen and keeping the story moving as well as they could.  It was only when the six season deadline was given that they were really able to embellish the story to what we have today.  When Tolkien wrote the Hobbit he wasn't planning on creating the Lord of the Rings books.  That doesn't make them any less enchanting than they are.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2010, 04:06:35 PM »
As for the acting, that is not me calling sour grapes, because I thought everyone else did a great job, even the kids. But that woman just did not pull it off. The way she spoke Latin sounded like the way I spoke German in high school. Poorly, and with no idea as to what I am saying. LOL It's the same problem I've had with Kate for 6 years, she's just terrible.

I'm the same way. I don't mean to be stirring arguements, I just like the conversation and debate. As for the acting, I thought she did an awesome job throughout the episode, especially in that scene with MIB in the well. As for her speaking Latin, I kinda see what you are saying, but what were you expecting? I mean what accent is she supposed to have? Italian? British? I get a little bothered by the trend that ancient Romans have a British accent. (i.e. the Starz series Sparticus) Her having 0 accent actually kind of worked for me. Like, Latin isn't really her first language. She is older than the language of Latin.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
The big story IS the island. In the history of the island there have been several groups of people whose stories have become part of the island myth...the Oceanic crash survivors were the group that we became involved with and it is through them that we're learning the mythology of the island. Will the history of the island end with our Losties? The world may never know...

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2010, 04:14:46 PM »
Keep in mind that at the birth of the show they didn't have any idea how long it would air.  We all could have hated the end of season 2 and the network could have dropped the show.  At that point in the series they were really more concerned with the characters we saw on screen and keeping the story moving as well as they could.  It was only when the six season deadline was given that they were really able to embellish the story to what we have today.  When Tolkien wrote the Hobbit he wasn't planning on creating the Lord of the Rings books.  That doesn't make them any less enchanting than they are.

Yes! I agree completely! Well put!!

Just to clarify, because it seems like I was being hard on the writers: I love Lost like it was another child for me. I go along with it all gladly, and am willing to believe almost everything just so I can spend 18 or so hours a season with these amazing characters and their creators brilliant minds. I'm even more ok with the Adam and Eve resolution than I came across in my previous posts. But as someone who has a little experience as a writer I felt the need to point out what I felt was a lack of clothes on the Emperor there.

Also, LF, I didn't know that information, thank you for sharing that!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »
As for the acting, that is not me calling sour grapes, because I thought everyone else did a great job, even the kids. But that woman just did not pull it off. The way she spoke Latin sounded like the way I spoke German in high school. Poorly, and with no idea as to what I am saying. LOL It's the same problem I've had with Kate for 6 years, she's just terrible.

I'm the same way. I don't mean to be stirring arguements, I just like the conversation and debate. As for the acting, I thought she did an awesome job throughout the episode, especially in that scene with MIB in the well. As for her speaking Latin, I kinda see what you are saying, but what were you expecting? I mean what accent is she supposed to have? Italian? British? I get a little bothered by the trend that ancient Romans have a British accent. (i.e. the Starz series Sparticus) Her having 0 accent actually kind of worked for me. Like, Latin isn't really her first language. She is older than the language of Latin.

In that respect, you are correct, even though I totally fell in love with the Spartacus series, the English accents are a touch much. ALTHOUGH, John Hannah knocked it out of the park I think. He was such a punk in the Mummy movies, but he rocks in this series, but I digress. I do think she should have had some kind of an accent while she was speaking latin. When they shifted to English, I was fine with her speaking voice, but she just didn't pull off the role very well I thought.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2010, 07:47:46 PM »
You guys are being incredibly whiny.  Let's just agree that nothing would satisfy 90% of you.  They could've given MIB a name, and then people would complain "But what's the mom's name?"  And some of the complaints are so nitpicking.  Yeah Jack said the clothing looked only about 40-50 years.  Jack was apparently wrong, end of story.  It proves nothing except that you lack the imagination to accept the answers given to you.  If you think Adam and Eve were meant to be someone else and can tie it to some story about the black and white stones and 50-year-old degraded clothing, then I'd like to hear it.

People seem to be making the mistake of thinking this show is about Jacob/MIB and the mythology.  They've said all along that it's about the characters and their journey.  You might believe you could just see the beginning and end and skip the middle, but then you miss out on all of the symbolism and themes and connections.  And if you really hate the show that much and you're unsatisfied by the answers, then too bad.  You wasted six years of your life.  Move on.

I for one thought the acting was fine and the episode delivered what I expected, which was showing the relationship between Jacob and MIB and the origin of their feud.  All I expect is for the show to tell the story that they intended, and any mysteries they leave unanswered aren't important to understanding the story.
You can always count on one post like this trying to talk down to the rest of us. If people don't like an episode of Lost then we are whiny and not smart enough to understand the big picture. This episode was poorly written and not very well acted. It skipped big parts of the over all mystery and produced more questions than answers. This is not acceptable with this the show ending in two eps.
After investing this much time and energy into this show, we deserve better than this ep. Is it the end of the world no. But it is a disappointment.
I didn't think I was talking down.  Maybe I'm just naturally superior, and don't realize it and so it seems that I'm talking down.  I'm just calling it like I see it.  You guys are whining.  Stating opinions like they're facts is what really bugs me.  And criticizing the acting is the last straw for me with these complaints.  I thought the acting was fine.  People are just getting mad because the show isn't going how they wanted or expected.  I'm glad Adam and Eve weren't what people expected.  I'd probably be whining too if it turned out they were Jack and Kate or Rose and Bernard.  Just accept that your expectations were too high.  Seriously, what did you expect from this episode?  About the only complaint I agree with is the flashback to Jack and Kate was unnecessary.

WOW, no lack of confidence in you huh? Being critical of the show is not whining. The mom and the kid actors were not very good in these roles. This is my opinion. All acting reviews are subjective. I felt the writing was sub par and the acting was also.I felt grown up Jacob and MIB felt disconnected with the material the were presenting, And they are usually very good in those roles.

I am fine with who Adam and eve turned out to be. did not see that coming at the beggining of the ep.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »
You guys are being incredibly whiny.  Let's just agree that nothing would satisfy 90% of you.  They could've given MIB a name, and then people would complain "But what's the mom's name?"  And some of the complaints are so nitpicking.  Yeah Jack said the clothing looked only about 40-50 years.  Jack was apparently wrong, end of story.  It proves nothing except that you lack the imagination to accept the answers given to you.  If you think Adam and Eve were meant to be someone else and can tie it to some story about the black and white stones and 50-year-old degraded clothing, then I'd like to hear it.

People seem to be making the mistake of thinking this show is about Jacob/MIB and the mythology.  They've said all along that it's about the characters and their journey.  You might believe you could just see the beginning and end and skip the middle, but then you miss out on all of the symbolism and themes and connections.  And if you really hate the show that much and you're unsatisfied by the answers, then too bad.  You wasted six years of your life.  Move on.

I for one thought the acting was fine and the episode delivered what I expected, which was showing the relationship between Jacob and MIB and the origin of their feud.  All I expect is for the show to tell the story that they intended, and any mysteries they leave unanswered aren't important to understanding the story.
You can always count on one post like this trying to talk down to the rest of us. If people don't like an episode of Lost then we are whiny and not smart enough to understand the big picture. This episode was poorly written and not very well acted. It skipped big parts of the over all mystery and produced more questions than answers. This is not acceptable with this the show ending in two eps.
After investing this much time and energy into this show, we deserve better than this ep. Is it the end of the world no. But it is a disappointment.
I didn't think I was talking down.  Maybe I'm just naturally superior, and don't realize it and so it seems that I'm talking down.  I'm just calling it like I see it.  You guys are whining.  Stating opinions like they're facts is what really bugs me.  And criticizing the acting is the last straw for me with these complaints.  I thought the acting was fine.  People are just getting mad because the show isn't going how they wanted or expected.  I'm glad Adam and Eve weren't what people expected.  I'd probably be whining too if it turned out they were Jack and Kate or Rose and Bernard.  Just accept that your expectations were too high.  Seriously, what did you expect from this episode?  About the only complaint I agree with is the flashback to Jack and Kate was unnecessary.

WOW, no lack of confidence in you huh? Being critical of the show is not whining. The mom and the kid actors were not very good in these roles. This is my opinion. All acting reviews are subjective. I felt the writing was sub par and the acting was also.I felt grown up Jacob and MIB felt disconnected with the material the were presenting, And they are usually very good in those roles.

I am fine with who Adam and eve turned out to be. did not see that coming at the beggining of the ep.

But why didn't you like the acting? Everybody is entitled to their own opinions obviously. But simply saying something was "not good" or "sub par" begs for more explaination. I personally thought the acting was excellent. Like the scene with the 2 kids first playing the game and MIb says, "One day you can have a game where you make the rules." It was great foreshadowing. I also like to point to that scene with MIB and Mother in the well as being so suspensful and emotional, but done with very few lines. So much of the intense emotion was carried through simple looks. We knew what Mother had to do before she did it, and she didn't have to say a word.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2010, 09:46:38 PM »
I thought Titus Welliver's performance in this episode was stellar, he deserves an Emmy for making people care about a character they barely know. The good acting made the character's motives believable and we can identify with him (we want him to leave and find his home). I especially liked the rage he displayed after waking up and finding all the villagers dead which actually made killing his fake mother less evil.
The guy who plays Jacob was also great, we got to see another side of the character and he handled it well. I was not upset with the way The Mother was played. When you get a ambiguous fairytale lines about "the light" you can only do so much as an actor. Except for the light thing and for the fact that Mother failed to give enough answers, I thought it was a great episode, I just wish it was schedualed earlier, instead of the Temple cr@p.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »

After investing this much time and energy into this show, we deserve better than this ep. Is it the end of the wMaxor, orld no. But it is a disappointment.
It's one thing to criticize the show and the acting and quite another to attack and insult your fellow posters.    Insults don't come from people who are "naturally superior".  Maxor, You crossed the line.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
Ken tucker on ew.com conveys my feelings of this episode beautifully. I will let him state my case. I guess he is whiny also....

There have been a lot of excellent episodes of Lost during this final season. Last night’s wasn’t one of them. The stilted speeches that the show deemed necessary to convey the gravity of the episode’s situations could not be rescued by the actors. The special effects looked quaintly cheesy. I just wasn’t buying it.

Don’t worry. Jeff Jensen is breaking down the episode with a complete analysis in all his infinite wisdom. I am popping in here with one of my non-mythology brief reviews.

Last night’s episode, “Across the Sea,” with Jacob and the Man in Black as lovin’-and-fightin’ brothers, reminded me of a Sunday-school play about Bad and Good, with Honor Thy (Step-)Mother as a bonus lesson.

Lost has a lot of explaining to do in its final hours. But last night, the info was unloaded in a form that was less an origin story of Jacob and MIB than a dark-and-light fantasy fable. The dialogue was so stiff, I expected to see that the actors’ tongues had turned into slivers of balsa wood.

Frankly, I’ve long had a bit of a problem with Mark Pellegrino’s performance as Jacob. Whether because of the way he’s been directed or by his natural inclination, Pellegrino has rendered Jacob as more of a pious simp than a sturdy conveyor of Lost wisdom.

But last night, even the usually terrific Titus Welliver and guest star Allison Janney could not sell the long speeches they had to deliver about secrecy, trust, hidden glowing sources of power, and fully revealed displays of evil. (I half-expected Martin Sheen’s President Bartlet to come staggering out of a cave to yell, “We’ll fight the good fight, C.J. — just comb your hair and get me back to D.C.!”)

The hour was written by Lost main men Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof — it’s not as though the producers decided to hand off an episode to a talented amateur to see what he or she could do — so you know the drama we got was exactly what the series intended. It’s just that, at this point in its proceedings, Lost must do more than talk about its themes (and boy, was this hour talky). It has to dramatize those themes in vivid, concise ways. This was the hour’s failure.

The hour ended with the perfect music: the Doors’ “The End,” one of the most portentous, bloated famous rock songs ever. It suited the episode, I’m sorry to say.

But maybe this was just an off week; certainly Lost has more than earned the trust that this was a momentary false step on the path to a glorious conclusion.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »
Ken tucker on ew.com conveys my feelings of this episode beautifully. I will let him state my case. I guess he is whiny also....

There have been a lot of excellent episodes of Lost during this final season. Last night’s wasn’t one of them. The stilted speeches that the show deemed necessary to convey the gravity of the episode’s situations could not be rescued by the actors. The special effects looked quaintly cheesy. I just wasn’t buying it.

Don’t worry. Jeff Jensen is breaking down the episode with a complete analysis in all his infinite wisdom. I am popping in here with one of my non-mythology brief reviews.

Last night’s episode, “Across the Sea,” with Jacob and the Man in Black as lovin’-and-fightin’ brothers, reminded me of a Sunday-school play about Bad and Good, with Honor Thy (Step-)Mother as a bonus lesson.

Lost has a lot of explaining to do in its final hours. But last night, the info was unloaded in a form that was less an origin story of Jacob and MIB than a dark-and-light fantasy fable. The dialogue was so stiff, I expected to see that the actors’ tongues had turned into slivers of balsa wood.

Frankly, I’ve long had a bit of a problem with Mark Pellegrino’s performance as Jacob. Whether because of the way he’s been directed or by his natural inclination, Pellegrino has rendered Jacob as more of a pious simp than a sturdy conveyor of Lost wisdom.

But last night, even the usually terrific Titus Welliver and guest star Allison Janney could not sell the long speeches they had to deliver about secrecy, trust, hidden glowing sources of power, and fully revealed displays of evil. (I half-expected Martin Sheen’s President Bartlet to come staggering out of a cave to yell, “We’ll fight the good fight, C.J. — just comb your hair and get me back to D.C.!”)

The hour was written by Lost main men Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof — it’s not as though the producers decided to hand off an episode to a talented amateur to see what he or she could do — so you know the drama we got was exactly what the series intended. It’s just that, at this point in its proceedings, Lost must do more than talk about its themes (and boy, was this hour talky). It has to dramatize those themes in vivid, concise ways. This was the hour’s failure.

The hour ended with the perfect music: the Doors’ “The End,” one of the most portentous, bloated famous rock songs ever. It suited the episode, I’m sorry to say.

But maybe this was just an off week; certainly Lost has more than earned the trust that this was a momentary false step on the path to a glorious conclusion.

Jug, you should never quote someone who talks trash on the doors. It just sullies your point.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2010, 11:51:34 AM »
I agree with Juggy here on the acting. It was not very good for me. It didn't seem to flow like a regular episode. I had high hopes for the fake mom and was let down big time, because she has been great in other things(Juno). Titus Welliver-I did like, but all the others fell flat!

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2010, 12:09:44 PM »
I said it before, I think the script is the problem more than the acting. Pellegrino was told to act as "momma's boy" and he did it, fake Mom actress was told to act as "mysterious/crazy ageless woman with ambiguous fairitale answers" and she did just that. Titus Welliver had a better role and he played it great, by my standards, and the children was alright. The problem is with the so called answers they gave us. They seemed a bit out of place.