Author Topic: Anyone else starting to get nervous  (Read 11883 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else starting to get nervous
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 04:28:47 AM »
Man, if you guys are still thinking about Dharma at this point, the show has passed you by. We got all we are going to get about Dharma last season. We are so beyond some research group in the 1970's at this point in the show. I mean, you might as well be asking what the in-flight movie was for Oceanic 815. Dharma hasn't been mentioned once this season. They are not that important. They were just studying the Island.

That's the problem. The show spent several seasons making it seem as if Dharma WAS important. You can't get why it bothers people that the show seems to now be saying "Nevermind" like Emily Litella from Saturday Night Live? lol

But they didn't say nevermind. Dharma was cool and all, but they weren't the biggest fish in the pond. It's more like, if you thought that Dharma was a big fish, well you ain't seen nothin yet. It's like the end of the movie The Abyss. When Ed Harris defuses the nuke and saves the day, thats a huge finale, but then, the alien ship rises out of the ocean and the movie raises the bar.

So Dharma was important, just not the most important.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 06:49:24 AM »
You guys are being incredibly whiny.  Let's just agree that nothing would satisfy 90% of you.  They could've given MIB a name, and then people would complain "But what's the mom's name?"  And some of the complaints are so nitpicking.  Yeah Jack said the clothing looked only about 40-50 years.  Jack was apparently wrong, end of story.  It proves nothing except that you lack the imagination to accept the answers given to you.  If you think Adam and Eve were meant to be someone else and can tie it to some story about the black and white stones and 50-year-old degraded clothing, then I'd like to hear it.

People seem to be making the mistake of thinking this show is about Jacob/MIB and the mythology.  They've said all along that it's about the characters and their journey.  You might believe you could just see the beginning and end and skip the middle, but then you miss out on all of the symbolism and themes and connections.  And if you really hate the show that much and you're unsatisfied by the answers, then too bad.  You wasted six years of your life.  Move on.

I for one thought the acting was fine and the episode delivered what I expected, which was showing the relationship between Jacob and MIB and the origin of their feud.  All I expect is for the show to tell the story that they intended, and any mysteries they leave unanswered aren't important to understanding the story.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 07:15:59 AM »
You guys are being incredibly whiny.  Let's just agree that nothing would satisfy 90% of you.  They could've given MIB a name, and then people would complain "But what's the mom's name?"  And some of the complaints are so nitpicking.  Yeah Jack said the clothing looked only about 40-50 years.  Jack was apparently wrong, end of story.  It proves nothing except that you lack the imagination to accept the answers given to you.  If you think Adam and Eve were meant to be someone else and can tie it to some story about the black and white stones and 50-year-old degraded clothing, then I'd like to hear it.

People seem to be making the mistake of thinking this show is about Jacob/MIB and the mythology.  They've said all along that it's about the characters and their journey.  You might believe you could just see the beginning and end and skip the middle, but then you miss out on all of the symbolism and themes and connections.  And if you really hate the show that much and you're unsatisfied by the answers, then too bad.  You wasted six years of your life.  Move on.

I for one thought the acting was fine and the episode delivered what I expected, which was showing the relationship between Jacob and MIB and the origin of their feud.  All I expect is for the show to tell the story that they intended, and any mysteries they leave unanswered aren't important to understanding the story.
You can always count on one post like this trying to talk down to the rest of us. If people don't like an episode of Lost then we are whiny and not smart enough to understand the big picture. This episode was poorly written and not very well acted. It skipped big parts of the over all mystery and produced more questions than answers. This is not acceptable with this the show ending in two eps.
After investing this much time and energy into this show, we deserve better than this ep. Is it the end of the world no. But it is a disappointment.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 07:48:18 AM »
THANK YOU JUGGY!  You took the words right out of my mouth. 
The point I was trying to make about the clothing is that it shows the writers were just making it up as they went along.  They really didn't have a plan from the beginning.  That's my view anyway.  And my fear.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 08:15:39 AM »
I agree with Juggy and SOL. My guess is that they are just making it up as they go along and when it came down to figuring out who were Adam and Eve they couldn't have it be Rose and Bernard, Jack and Kate, or anyone else we know because most of us had guessed them long ago. They pulled this story out of their butts so they could feel original.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 09:19:58 AM »

You can always count on one post like this trying to talk down to the rest of us. If people don't like an episode of Lost then we are whiny and not smart enough to understand the big picture. This episode was poorly written and not very well acted. It skipped big parts of the over all mystery and produced more questions than answers. This is not acceptable with this the show ending in two eps.
After investing this much time and energy into this show, we deserve better than this ep. Is it the end of the world no. But it is a disappointment.
I didn't think I was talking down.  Maybe I'm just naturally superior, and don't realize it and so it seems that I'm talking down.  I'm just calling it like I see it.  You guys are whining.  Stating opinions like they're facts is what really bugs me.  And criticizing the acting is the last straw for me with these complaints.  I thought the acting was fine.  People are just getting mad because the show isn't going how they wanted or expected.  I'm glad Adam and Eve weren't what people expected.  I'd probably be whining too if it turned out they were Jack and Kate or Rose and Bernard.  Just accept that your expectations were too high.  Seriously, what did you expect from this episode?  About the only complaint I agree with is the flashback to Jack and Kate was unnecessary.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »
I tend to agree that Dharma was very important in telling the stories of our Losties. Dharma played a HUGE part in their story. And remember that this is the story of them not Jacob and MIB's game. Well, it is cause they are part of the game, but you know what I mean. But, I will agree with the fact that this episode did let me down. But only for the fact that Jacob's image has completely changed for me. Up until last night I really thought he was representing good. But last night just made him look like a d*ck and made me feel more for MIB. I'm almost inclined to side with Locke now. Kill 'em all.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »
Jacob reminded me of Luke in A New Hope. He spent most of the episode whining. Different look for him.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 11:15:01 AM »
Wow, people all sorts of fired up. Well, I personally thought that whoever that woman was did a terrible job acting like, anything. As for everyone else in the show, they were fine. I'm actually kind of interested in what all the people who want to know more about Dharma are looking for?? I mean, I thought everything we have been told kind of did a really good job at just wrapping them up. They were scientists that came to the island to study the strange effects of the island, they got in over their heads with the natives, and it all fell apart. I mean, aside from finding out how they even knew about the island in the first place, I don't see what else there is to be curious about regarding Dharma.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 11:26:33 AM »
I just feel some people like to play the devils advocate.....

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »
I just feel some people like to play the devils advocate.....
I gotta tell you! You made such a good comment last night in chat about the well. Why did they make it a well, why not just make some steps to go down there lol  ;D

Offline lost4ever

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
Wow, people all sorts of fired up. Well, I personally thought that whoever that woman was did a terrible job acting like, anything. As for everyone else in the show, they were fine. I'm actually kind of interested in what all the people who want to know more about Dharma are looking for?? I mean, I thought everything we have been told kind of did a really good job at just wrapping them up. They were scientists that came to the island to study the strange effects of the island, they got in over their heads with the natives, and it all fell apart. I mean, aside from finding out how they even knew about the island in the first place, I don't see what else there is to be curious about regarding Dharma.

This is it exactly for me!! Also remember when Jacob said " you brought them here didnt you" it was several seasons finales ago. I think this could also be used to explain Dharma.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
I agree with Juggy and SOL. My guess is that they are just making it up as they go along and when it came down to figuring out who were Adam and Eve they couldn't have it be Rose and Bernard, Jack and Kate, or anyone else we know because most of us had guessed them long ago. They pulled this story out of their butts so they could feel original.

Here's where I disagree with this idea. The Stones they found there. I can't think of a single story arc that gives us Rose and Bernard lying in the cave with the stones holding significance. Jack and Kate I see a little better, but that story arc would make one of them the dark stone and that would have changed the whole story. The only way they could prove anything completely to 90% of the fans would be to show a NEW scene starring young Walt at this late a stage.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 12:04:19 PM »

This is it exactly for me!! Also remember when Jacob said " you brought them here didnt you" it was several seasons finales ago. I think this could also be used to explain Dharma.

MiB said it, but yeah, exactly. IT seems that no one gets there with out Jacob allowing it. As for why he let the army and what have you on the island, ummmm, maybe he got bored and wanted to watch an action movie or something. LOL

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »

I didn't think I was talking down.  Maybe I'm just naturally superior, and don't realize it and so it seems that I'm talking down.  I'm just calling it like I see it.  You guys are whining.  Stating opinions like they're facts is what really bugs me.  And criticizing the acting is the last straw for me with these complaints.  I thought the acting was fine.  People are just getting mad because the show isn't going how they wanted or expected.  I'm glad Adam and Eve weren't what people expected.  I'd probably be whining too if it turned out they were Jack and Kate or Rose and Bernard.  Just accept that your expectations were too high.  Seriously, what did you expect from this episode?  About the only complaint I agree with is the flashback to Jack and Kate was unnecessary.

I think I'm going to agree with Maxor.  There has been a lot of whining this season.  We just have a difference of opinion here, no one is talking down.  Plenty of you are disappointed but a lot of you are not disappointed.  I'm guessing the disappointed ones are just being more vocal about it.  I though the episode was fine and I'm guessing that not all of my questions will be answered, but I will never view this as a waste of six years of my life.  LOST is and always will be the greatest tv show ever made no matter how it ends.  But that's my opinion.