Author Topic: Anyone else starting to get nervous  (Read 11992 times)

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else starting to get nervous
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
. . .
I tell you, when Locke and Boone found that underground hatch, when Locke was pounding on it in the middle of the night in frustration and a light went on from inside it...when the numbers appeared on the side of the hatch...when they finally blew the door off the hatch and peered down inside the creepy darkness of the entryway...man, I was hooked on whatever this thing was and how it came into being on this incredibly mysterious "spit of land in the middle of nowhere". I couldn't wait to find out its origins, who built it, why it was there, etc...because I knew what we'd find out was gonna be captivating and intriguing, and was going to go a long way in explaining things.

It's quite the letdown, though, to discover that it was just a bunch of people, 99% of them just working stiffs who had zero clue as to what was going on. They didn't even introduce anyone within the island Dharma people who could be said to be a leader who knows far more than anyone else about Dharma and the island. All the mystery and enigmatic aspects of Dharma were just gone. Now I find myself wondering why they seemed to give so much importance to Dharma during the first several seasons. Was the importance of Dharma, like Walt and (maybe) Aaron, just sort of abandoned along the way as the show's creators solidified how they wanted the show to end?

By contrast, Jacob's name kept coming up again and again, and we all figured that this "Jacob" character would end up being central to the overall story...and we were right. Dharma possible role in everything was given even more play early on in the series' run, but it fizzled out.

So maybe nothing else needs to be explained about Dharma, but what they DID explain about Dharma was underwhelming in my eyes. They just underused an incredibly effective component of the show.

And this is why "Across the Sea" was such a let down for me... now it appears that Jacob and brother are pretty clueless, as well...  They weren't there from the beginning.  I want know the origins of the island (and the light now).  What/Who created it?  Who set the rules?  Jacob just seems like another pathetic pawn now after that episode :(

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
Yes.  The pallet drop is a big unanswered question, and we deserve to know the answer.

Other than that, I feel like we were given all we need:

I consider the case closed on DHARMA. 

Overall I'd agree too, but DHARMA related, I've still got a whole bunch of questions about Eloise Hawking.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2010, 07:21:46 PM »
To me the most important question is Eloise Hawking. Who/what is she?????

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2010, 08:23:55 PM »
. . .
I tell you, when Locke and Boone found that underground hatch, when Locke was pounding on it in the middle of the night in frustration and a light went on from inside it...when the numbers appeared on the side of the hatch...when they finally blew the door off the hatch and peered down inside the creepy darkness of the entryway...man, I was hooked on whatever this thing was and how it came into being on this incredibly mysterious "spit of land in the middle of nowhere". I couldn't wait to find out its origins, who built it, why it was there, etc...because I knew what we'd find out was gonna be captivating and intriguing, and was going to go a long way in explaining things.

It's quite the letdown, though, to discover that it was just a bunch of people, 99% of them just working stiffs who had zero clue as to what was going on. They didn't even introduce anyone within the island Dharma people who could be said to be a leader who knows far more than anyone else about Dharma and the island. All the mystery and enigmatic aspects of Dharma were just gone. Now I find myself wondering why they seemed to give so much importance to Dharma during the first several seasons. Was the importance of Dharma, like Walt and (maybe) Aaron, just sort of abandoned along the way as the show's creators solidified how they wanted the show to end?

By contrast, Jacob's name kept coming up again and again, and we all figured that this "Jacob" character would end up being central to the overall story...and we were right. Dharma possible role in everything was given even more play early on in the series' run, but it fizzled out.

So maybe nothing else needs to be explained about Dharma, but what they DID explain about Dharma was underwhelming in my eyes. They just underused an incredibly effective component of the show.

And this is why "Across the Sea" was such a let down for me... now it appears that Jacob and brother are pretty clueless, as well...  They weren't there from the beginning.  I want know the origins of the island (and the light now).  What/Who created it?  Who set the rules?  Jacob just seems like another pathetic pawn now after that episode :(

I felt the same way about Ben as you described about Jacob. I thought Ben would turn out to have quite a few answers and somehow be instrumental in helping the audience understand quite a bit about the island. Turns out he's just a pawn as well, nothing really of much value to add to the proceedings at this point. They took one incredible tv character and emasculated him, taking away everything that captivated us about Ben (his knowledge of the mysteries of the island, his incredible ability to manipulate, his "connection" to things greater than what the rest of the characters understood, etc.) and now he's just one of dozens of clueless goofs roaming around the jungle lol.

They even did that to Locke to a real extent: he's now just a foolish loser whose only importance in the overall story is that his body gets to be used by Smokie. Even MiB ridiculed Locke to Ben--and again, to the viewing audience--as being a pathetic nobody who foolishly believed in giving everything over to the idea of the island and would be rewarded for it...and whose last words--"I don't understand"--was worth mocking.

If you replace Locke with the viewing audience and MiB with the show's writers, and then replay that last part again in your head, it might tell you a lot lol :D...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:25:28 PM by WhatThe »

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2010, 12:59:24 AM »
I don't agree. I think most who are having some problems with how this season is unfolding didn't have specific ideas of how the show would end other than thinking we'd get several "Oh, wow" moments that help tie in a lot of the things the show has promoted over the years. Instead, we seem to be getting more than a few "Is that it?" moments lol. If I were to generalize, though, in the same manner you have, I'd say that most of the people who claim that fans are making too big a deal over stuff are really just wanting to defend their favorite show moreso than actually taking into account the validity of the criticisms.

First, how many answers to questions have given you that "Oh Wow, what a great complete final answer"? Can you name even one? I mean, some of the biggest "Oh wow" moments, and there have been alot, merely create a whole megaton of new questions. Some that I can think off the top of my head are, the beginning of season 2 and we see the inside of the Hatch, or the Season 3 Finale "We have to go back Kate!" or the Season 3 premiere when we first see the Barracks, or the end of Season 1 "We're gonna have to take the boy" All of these "Oh wow WTF" moments are partially great because they open an entirely new world and new set of questions that takes the show in a new direction. None of them wrap things up in a final bow. Now, I may be missing some, but those are my all time "OH WOW" moments and thats partly why they are what they are.

Now, I will definitely conceed the point that I may be defending the show out of blind loyalty. I just like the show so much that my enjoyment is pretty unconditional, and even if the series finale breaks out into a tap dancing musical number, you might find me here saying how amazingly awesome it was. So, thats why I go on to explain why I enjoy it, instead of just saying "You're dumb. It's good". So, when you or somebody else brings up a particular criticism, and I don't agree with it, I'll explain why. Doesn't mean we will then agree, it will just answer the question "What freaking show is CaseyMac watching if he sees that?"

There have been a ton of times in Lost where we think something may be vitally important and game changing, but as time goes on, we find out, it wasn't that major. I mean, remember when the biggest thing was "how are they going to find food now that the Oceanic 815 food carts are empty"?

Actually, no I don't remember that being a real issue for anyone lol...especially on an island full of fruit, the occasional wild boar, and an ocean full of fish. 

Season 1, Episode 4: Walkabout. Might want to rewatch it. This show has evolved immensely, which is what has kept my interest.

The Sun/Widmore alliance, well it took all of 1 scene to create, and it had a pretty major impact on a vital scene that we saw played out from 3 different points of view on the dock. I think using 1 scene to create that kind of gun pointing suspense was worth it. Plus it had the major reveal to Sun that Jin was still alive.

How in the world did Sun confronting Widmore play ANY role in the dock scene?

It created alot of suspense. If it wasn't for the reveal of Sun telling Widmore that she wanted Ben dead, we wouldn't have known until she pulls out the gun on the dock. No suspense involved. It's like what Alfred Hitchcock said about the difference between action and suspense. In action you show an explosion in a restaurant, but in suspense you show the bomb with the timer underneath the table first. Basically, you have to create the mood.

The Dharma thing, you are not alone. I think there are alot of fans that would have been happy with Lost being about the Dharma Initiative.

You are missing some vital points,  here. For starters, the food drops, barracks and hydra did not play vital roles in the show. We were lead to believe they would...but what is occurring right now that could not have occurred if the food drops never occurred? What is occurring right now that could not have occurred if they lived somewhere else other than the barracks after the purge? Nothing. And if they never went to the Hydra? Nothing.

This is another case where I fundamentally disagree. Those places were the settings. I mean theoretically, every scene on this show could have been either on a beach or in a jungle, but that would have been really stale really fast. So they created a setting, and then created a back story to explain the setting. Now, if the food drops never happen, the Episode "Dave" would have lost alot of punch. We learned alot about one of our favorite characters that day, and the food drop was key to that. That alone, is reason enough to have it. As to how it got there...maybe it was timewarped like Faraday's rocket. That works for me.

The show has never been about Dharma, just like it's never been about the numbers. They are pieces of the puzzle, but the show has always been about the characters, hence the awesome story telling device of the flashbacks.

As for Aaron, the full story has yet to play out, but yeah, I was kind of expecting a larger role for the first baby to be born on the Island for who knows how long.

I don't see how Aaron had a "large effect" on anyone other than Claire and possibly Kate.

I actually agree with you. Ever since the psychic, I thought Aaron was going to be a major importance, and really he is just a plot device for Kate and Claire. He himself does nothing. I didn't exactly expect the kid to fly or shoot laser beams from his eyes, but for him to have some ability.

As for the Others, we kind of got their orgin story. The first Other was Richard. They are the extension of Jacob being protector of the Island. I just don't think we're going to get a scene that shows The Others High Council sitting around a table discussing diplomacy like it was some Star Trek movie.

You realize, though, that the show has yet to actually explain why the Others exist at all? Not even slightly. Well, that is unless the explanation is "They're just a bunch of people with no real importance other than Richard".

Yup. They are the inhabitants of the Island. Somebody lives there, and it's them. I really don't need more of a "why".

There's nothing wrong with wishing for them to explain one thing, or expand on another thing, but the show is what it is. And we knew that when they said, "After 6 seasons, we are done." that not everything was going to be expanded on.

That doesn't mean that everything with the show is fine as it is and there are no valid reasons for criticism.

You are right. And I'll repeat what I said to Point Place. It's a free internet, and you can say anything you want. We are all entitled to our opinions, and I have not found 1 thing on this planet that 100% of people agree on. Having said that, if you are in the middle of Lambeau Field, and you get up and say "Lombardi was a lame coach." you will spark a reaction. So, look at the venue and don't act shocked when you spark a reaction to your comments.

So, you can express any criticisim you want, thats part of what these forums are for, and if I disagree, I'll do so in a respectful way and explain why I disagree. It's totally reasonable to watch the same exact thing and walk away with 2 completely different reactions.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2010, 07:08:09 AM »

That is exactly what Lost is about and why I love it.
You want to know what is across the sea, like MIB. It's like asking where do we come from? Why do we exist? Do we have a purpose? Where do we go?
I think the light is life, death, rebirth and the heart of the island and we will never know how it started. I would say it was created by
the big bang and there is stardust in every person. Others will say a God created it. But in the end everybody is clueless and we just choose what to believe and what to protect.

The rules are set by Jacob when he created his own game of bringing people to the island to prove MIB wrong.

I believe we will still get some answers about Dharma. At least what Jughead did and why the purge was ordered.
In the end everything needs to fit. The fertilityproblem, the sidetime, Dharma, the numbers, the sunken island, etc.
It's too early to complain if we don't know the end yet. Let's wait another week.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »
The fertilityproblem

I solved that one. http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php/topic,11000.0.html  And Why the statue was built too.