Author Topic: How is MIB Evil?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: How is MIB Evil?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »
Why do I come on these boards anymore!  Here I think I've figured out the Smoke and MIB's relationship, and then you all go with your good ideas and thought provoking arguments!   :D

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »
Something else to put in your pipe, it looked to me like MIB was already dead while passing through the light.  When Jacob tosses him in it's like he hits his head on the rocks in the stream and continues to float face down the entire way.  BUT OF COURSE that doesn't help with the whole...they can't kill each other thing. :(      ;D     I'd love for Jacob to call Locke "brother" or something, just so we know.

Yeah I think we got all we are going to in that department after Jacob saying, "Well looks like you finally found your loophole"

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Why do I come on these boards anymore!  Here I think I've figured out the Smoke and MIB's relationship, and then you all go with your good ideas and thought provoking arguments!   :D
LOL I don't want to give the impression that I am without a doubt right. Everything I post comes with the disclaimer of "in my humble opinion". at the same time, debating different ideas on these boards help me in forming those opinions. Looking back at my theories, I've been wrong more often than not, but thats part of the fun of the show and these boards. For example, after this episode, I came away with alot more sympathy for MIB, being trapped on the island since he was an innocent baby.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »
Why do I come on these boards anymore!  Here I think I've figured out the Smoke and MIB's relationship, and then you all go with your good ideas and thought provoking arguments!   :D
LOL I don't want to give the impression that I am without a doubt right. Everything I post comes with the disclaimer of "in my humble opinion". at the same time, debating different ideas on these boards help me in forming those opinions. Looking back at my theories, I've been wrong more often than not, but thats part of the fun of the show and these boards. For example, after this episode, I came away with alot more sympathy for MIB, being trapped on the island since he was an innocent baby.

You're only trapped if you don't know that anything else is out there.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 04:15:49 PM »

And I felt some sympathy for Jacob. His mother killed by a witch that loves his brother more than she loves him and chooses him only because there is no other candidate. And he doesn't even know what he is protecting.
But a lot can happen in 2000 years. He left the island, maybe he used the wheel, he started to watch people and bring them to the island. He still can be as bad as I want him to be.  ;)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 05:03:22 PM »

And I felt some sympathy for Jacob. His mother killed by a witch that loves his brother more than she loves him and chooses him only because there is no other candidate. And he doesn't even know what he is protecting.
But a lot can happen in 2000 years. He left the island, maybe he used the wheel, he started to watch people and bring them to the island. He still can be as bad as I want him to be.  ;)

Yeah and MiB can still be David Shepherd....Somehow.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 05:11:07 PM »
I guess I'm trying to figure out of the Smoke came directly from MIB's "Bad Parts" or if the smoke is like the opposite of the well of life.   If I die, and my spirit/life goes into this Light in the stream, what happens to MY bad parts?...

OK, maybe it's because you're name is DirtyMaggieMae, but I can not stop giggling when you say bad parts here. Hehehe.

Offline Grinch531

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 05:54:22 PM »
We've seen Jacob's brother's skeleton.  It is safe to assume that MIB is NOT truly Jacob's brother.  Subsequently, we can believe that MIB is evil.  What I don't get is why seeing Jacob's image freaks him (MIB) out...

And I agree, but my question is this, if he isn't Jacob's brother, then why didn't he kick seven colors of crap out of him so he could leave?? Mom told them that she made it so MiB and Jacob couldn't hurt each other (I assume that means kill, because we saw Jacob hurt MiB several times in this episode), if the person we saw after MiB becomes the smoke monster doesn't have at least alittle of his brother in him, then he should have been able to just kill him.

I don't think the smoke monster can kill people who are good. Remember Mr. Eko in season 2? He looked at him, saw he was good, and went off.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »
We've seen Jacob's brother's skeleton.  It is safe to assume that MIB is NOT truly Jacob's brother.  Subsequently, we can believe that MIB is evil.  What I don't get is why seeing Jacob's image freaks him (MIB) out...

And I agree, but my question is this, if he isn't Jacob's brother, then why didn't he kick seven colors of crap out of him so he could leave?? Mom told them that she made it so MiB and Jacob couldn't hurt each other (I assume that means kill, because we saw Jacob hurt MiB several times in this episode), if the person we saw after MiB becomes the smoke monster doesn't have at least alittle of his brother in him, then he should have been able to just kill him.

I don't think the smoke monster can kill people who are good. Remember Mr. Eko in season 2? He looked at him, saw he was good, and went off.

Well Smokey did eventually kill Mr. Eko.  And I think Smokey can kill good people.  Was the pilot "bad"?

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »
MIB is Smokey, or at least part of him is:

From a very recent interview with Darlton:
"We have long sort of spoken about the interesting dynamic in the show is nobody is 100 percent good, nobody is 100 percent evil. Everybody has the capacity for both. Every time you come up with an explanation that's black and white, it turns into shades of grey. Ben Linus starts as a villain and then can become sympathetic. Sawyer and Jin who were also first presented in less than sympathetic lights became increasingly more sympathetic. We wanted to explain why the Man in Black had behaved the way that he does, and to show that like a lot of other characters on the show, he's the victim of very bad parenting. To reduce him to just a supernatural force, as opposed to a person, was not our intent. "Across the Sea" was our attempt to say, "Here's why Jacob feels the way he does about people, why the Man in Black feels the way he does about people," and a bit about their childhood. It's as simple as that and as complex as the themes of the show are."

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »
MIB is DEAD... smokey as a form of mib when not smoking is his only connection...using previous memories at best... is it the living breathing MIB we saw tonight...NOPE.. he.s worm food...

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 09:47:36 PM »
Dude, did you not read the underlined line from the recent interview with Damon and Carlton that I just provided?

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
MIB's dead bro.... sorry it doesnt compute... he's currently in the cave next to his fake mom if you want to go see him... but smokey is just a security device that USES human forms after they have passed on and can only use previous thoughts or ideas, he cant form ideas from  that point on based upon what he "thinks" mib would have done....

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:11 PM »
MIB's dead bro.... sorry it doesnt compute... he's currently in the cave next to his fake mom if you want to go see him... but smokey is just a security device that USES human forms after they have passed on and can only use previous thoughts or ideas, he cant form ideas from  that point on based upon what he "thinks" mib would have done....

If it is impossible for Jacob to kill MIB, then MIB can't be dead. Does that logic compute?

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 09:34:15 AM »
Jacob is Jacob and his brother is the smokemonster.
Jacob wanted something worse than dead happen to his brother and pushed him in the
light. Than he took his body. But his brother is still there as smoke and can use his own image
or other dead people's images to appear.
He wants to kill Jacob, but he can't, like Jacob couldn't kill him and he finds a loophole to kill him
using Locke.
I don't see why Smoky isn't the same being as Jacob's brother. He still is trying to find a way to leave the island.
He is still trying to prove Jacob wrong, who says that he cannot leave the island. He told his mother was insane,
he told that his best friend (Jacob) betrayed him, he told that he knew how it was to be human and feel. Jacob gives
him the stone and the wine. They play a game together with candidates, like they played with stones.
Even in Locke's body he talks like MIB. He knows who build the wells and why.