Author Topic: What does this mean for the "new Jacob"?  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Adriana

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
What does this mean for the "new Jacob"?
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:01 PM »
... aka (if you believe like I do) for Jack?

I couldn't help but sympathize for Jack -- the 99% obvious choice to be the new protector of the island -- during this episode.  I thought back a lot to Flocke's words: "There IS nothing to protect."  Which of course, made my feelings about Jack's noble actions during the last few episodes wish and wash.

I feel like Jack has scales over his eyes now, and I either want someone to wash them off, or for him and Jacob (and Crazy Mom?) to be proven right.

I don't like feeling like all of Jack's heroic actions are in vain and even laughable.

Offline Adriana

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: What does this mean for the "new Jacob"?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:50 PM »
Just to supplement that comment -- I always thought there NEEDED to be a protector. There NEEDED to be someone to take over for Jacob. And Jack, in doing so, was heroic.  Sacrificial.  Praise-worthy.

But now we learn that Jacob didn't even want to be the "proctector," that it was essentially forced upon him, that the only reason the notion of the island needing a protector exists is because of the word of a crazy woman, that Jacob only filled the role because he was forced to, is only looking for a replacement because he promised his crazy mother he would, and the whole idea of there needing to be a Candidate to replace Jacob is bogus and pointless. 

Is there any chance at all that there is truth to there needing to be a replacement for Jacob and that Jack ISN'T pathetically misled?

Offline losttill0208

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:34:42 PM »
I don't think Jack wants to be Jacob. He just wants to stay on the island.

Offline musicotb

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »
I don't think Jack wants to be Jacob. He just wants to stay on the island.

Jacob didn't want to be Jacob, but he knew he was the only one for the job.  I think whoever takes his place will feel the same (and I agree - I think it's Jack)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:49:20 AM »
I didn't come away thinking that the Island didn't really need a protector.

Jacob's throwing his brother into the light "created" Smokey, right?  (Or unleashed it?)

When we later see Jacob and MIB on the beach and MIB says "Why won't you let me leave?"  That's no longer his real brother talking to him; that's Smokey impersonating his brother and using his plea "I just want to leave" as a ruse to pray on Jacob's sympathy.  But at that point, that's not a man who wants to "go home" across the sea anymore -- that's an entity that wants to be unleashed on the world.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:45:57 AM »
Did mom tell Jacob (before drinking the wine) that he had to find a successor before he died?

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »
Jacob didn't want to be Jacob, until he "drank the coolaid."

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »
I didn't come away thinking that the Island didn't really need a protector.

Jacob's throwing his brother into the light "created" Smokey, right?  (Or unleashed it?)

When we later see Jacob and MIB on the beach and MIB says "Why won't you let me leave?"  That's no longer his real brother talking to him; that's Smokey impersonating his brother and using his plea "I just want to leave" as a ruse to pray on Jacob's sympathy.  But at that point, that's not a man who wants to "go home" across the sea anymore -- that's an entity that wants to be unleashed on the world.

The only reason I can't agree with that is because of the fact that MiB still needed to find a loop hole in order to kill Jacob. If that really wasn't his brother, and was just using his form in order to manipulate him, why didn MiB kill the crap out of him??

I do agree that MiB wants to get off the island so he can just go nuts, and that the island does need to be protected, but I think that Jacob needs to protect the light, not the island, and some of that light is now in MiB, so that is why Jacob is trying so hard to keep him on the island.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
The only reason I can't agree with that is because of the fact that MiB still needed to find a loop hole in order to kill Jacob. If that really wasn't his brother, and was just using his form in order to manipulate him, why didn MiB kill the crap out of him??

I think this is an excellent point.

Offline mushermellon

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 12:23:07 AM »

I think this is an excellent point.

I agree

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »

why didn MiB kill the crap out of him??

Maybe the same reason why MIB can't do that directly to the candidates. Maybe the rule is Smokey can't touch the protector and the candidates.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 07:32:29 PM »

I thought it was made clear that MiB/Smokie can't kill candidates. And if he can't kill candidates, he definitely can NOT kill the island protector. Smokie couldn't kill Jack, Sawyer, Hurley, etc, etc...he had to devise an intricate plan to get them to kill each other instead. And remember the vision of the little boy (who turned out to be a younger Jacob)? The boy said to him "Remember, you can't kill him" (or words to that effect). It's been shown several times that MiB/Smokie can't kill certain people who are marked as either candidates to become the island protector, or the island protector himself.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »

I thought it was made clear that MiB/Smokie can't kill candidates. And if he can't kill candidates, he definitely can NOT kill the island protector. Smokie couldn't kill Jack, Sawyer, Hurley, etc, etc...he had to devise an intricate plan to get them to kill each other instead. And remember the vision of the little boy (who turned out to be a younger Jacob)? The boy said to him "Remember, you can't kill him" (or words to that effect). It's been shown several times that MiB/Smokie can't kill certain people who are marked as either candidates to become the island protector, or the island protector himself.

Well, that's sort of the fundamental problem...NOTHING has been made clear really. It has been hinted at a little here and there, but it hasn't been made crystal about who can or can not kill whom.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »
Just to supplement that comment -- I always thought there NEEDED to be a protector. There NEEDED to be someone to take over for Jacob. And Jack, in doing so, was heroic.  Sacrificial.  Praise-worthy.

But now we learn that Jacob didn't even want to be the "proctector," that it was essentially forced upon him, that the only reason the notion of the island needing a protector exists is because of the word of a crazy woman, that Jacob only filled the role because he was forced to, is only looking for a replacement because he promised his crazy mother he would, and the whole idea of there needing to be a Candidate to replace Jacob is bogus and pointless. 

Is there any chance at all that there is truth to there needing to be a replacement for Jacob and that Jack ISN'T pathetically misled?

Well, it would give a great balance to Sawyer's sacrifice at the end of Season Five, when he jumped out of the helicopter to save everyone while Jack just sat there like a lump.   I can totally see Sawyer saying "Doc, it's your turn this time" right before he dies or whatever...