Author Topic: you wanted answers ? you got answers !  (Read 6476 times)

Offline musicotb

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: you wanted answers ? you got answers !
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:55 AM »
THanks!  T
7. Jacob was wanted, MiB wasn't (but he wasn't unwanted either)
8. Jacob never wanted his position
9. Jacob doesn't lie
10. MiB intuitively knows know to do things, knows answers to things - is "special"; Jacob just seems to be... fair?  Honest?
11. MiB planned for the donkey wheel to be built... but who actually built it???
Jacob was not the one who was wanted. MIB was the special one, Jacob got the job because MIB left his mother.

She meant wanted to be born by his birth mother (she only picked out one name, for Jacob.  She hadn't planned for a 2nd son).
Thanks!  That, indeed, was what I meant

Offline musicotb

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »
I say there werr way to many questions un answered. Still don't understand .....
what the light was really about
What does the light do?
How did the light turn him into the MIB?
Who was the lady who raised them? What made her special?
When did the rules get put in place?
Why did Jacob start bringing people to the island?
No idea how a wheel next to water and a light gets people of the island.

I think Jacob started bringing people to the island to find someone to take his place.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
I say there werr way to many questions un answered. Still don't understand .....
what the light was really about
What does the light do?
How did the light turn him into the MIB?
Who was the lady who raised them? What made her special?
When did the rules get put in place?
Why did Jacob start bringing people to the island?
No idea how a wheel next to water and a light gets people of the island.

I think Jacob started bringing people to the island to find someone to take his place.

I know that, I just said that wrong. I mean how did the whole plan of bringing people to the island come about. Why 360 of them? I wanted insight into the whole game and rules set up by Jacob.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 12:14:57 AM »
Here's another question: If tonight's episode took place a long time ago, perhaps centuries ago, why was the rate of decay of Mom and Brother slow enough that Jack estimated that they had been there only 40 yrs or so...

and I know a possible answer is that Jack was just wrong but they were at least there 150 yrs at minimum... post-Smokification of Brother at least....

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »
Cayley, I think Jack said that for the clothing to deteriorate that much, they had to be there AT LEAST 40 years. He never really gave an estimate other than that.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »
Here's another question: If tonight's episode took place a long time ago, perhaps centuries ago, why was the rate of decay of Mom and Brother slow enough that Jack estimated that they had been there only 40 yrs or so...

and I know a possible answer is that Jack was just wrong but they were at least there 150 yrs at minimum... post-Smokification of Brother at least....

Excellent point. Also it shows that he got rid of that body in the "light" but he still used it for a long time after this. The whole Richard episode. When did it come to be that he could not use that body shape any more?

Offline JoAnn

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 12:18:07 AM »

And along this line ... it struck me as pretty strange that the fabric bag that Jack found the stones inside was still very much intact, in a wet jungle environment, after so much time was supposed to have passed.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »
It seems to me that MIB doesn't have a name at all.  And also that MIB was apparently telling the truth when he said Jacob took his body and trapped him on the island.  And that his mom was crazy.  I'm not sure if her intentions were ultimately good or bad, but I'd call my mom crazy if she killed my birth mom, killed my "people," and tried to kill me.  Although, looking back on it, she probably just wanted to knock him out and bury the "well."  Now I have to wonder how she accomplished such a feat.  And we now know what MIB means when he says he wants to go home and understand his motivation behind it.  And I think it's clear why MIB seems to be indestructible and why Jacob could be killed.  And apparently "ghosts" have appeared on the island for a long time.

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:13 AM »
More questions...

- how did Jacob leave the island, and how did he get back? Last time off the island was probably when he met Hurley.
- how did he learn to speak English, since he seemed to live in isolation?

Very good point about the bodies, since he definitely died before Richard arrived.

Offline PMMJ

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 12:56:01 AM »
Although, looking back on it, she probably just wanted to knock him out and bury the "well."  Now I have to wonder how she accomplished such a feat.

I suspect being a protector of the heart of the island gives you a certain degree of special powers. She was able to fill in the well and kill the whole village in no time flat. And Jacob, as the protector, seems to be pretty close to omnipotent, causing shipwrecks and manipulating events far afield.

Offline PMMJ

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 01:03:45 AM »
I know that, I just said that wrong. I mean how did the whole plan of bringing people to the island come about. Why 360 of them? I wanted insight into the whole game and rules set up by Jacob.

Again, Jacob seems to have a lot of special powers. He said he's been bringing people to the island for a very long time, to prove his brother wrong about human nature. I presume at some point, he sensed his own time was ending. So he started searching for a replacement, watching people far away and manipulating them to come to the island, so they can be tested as candidates.

And we know the Mother used her powers so that Jacob and his brother couldn't hurt each other (since Jacob did beat down his brother pretty good, I guess she meant kill each other.) Thusly I see the game as Jacob bringing people to the island to prove his brother wrong, and the brother doing his thing with corrupting/killing them.

And of course the brother figured out a good loophole in tricking Ben to be the one to murder Jacob instead. Sneaking around the rules.

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 01:04:53 AM »
I really don't consider "Esau" going into the heart of the island a man and coming out MIB an answer at this point.

We've been wanting to know about this monster for 5.75 years now and that's what you've come up with.  

Once the Lostie's find the heart of the island and figure out that's where MIB came from.  Jack better ask him, what happened when you feel in there or I'll be pissed.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 02:38:56 AM »
I really don't consider "Esau" going into the heart of the island a man and coming out MIB an answer at this point.

We've been wanting to know about this monster for 5.75 years now and that's what you've come up with.  

Once the Lostie's find the heart of the island and figure out that's where MIB came from.  Jack better ask him, what happened when you feel in there or I'll be pissed.

If you want a scientific answer, you are not going to get it. I think we got all the answer we will on how Smokey came to be. "Mother" said that you don't die when you go in there, it is worse then death. So, MIB didn't die, but appearantly his soul is ripped apart from his body and becomes the Smoke Monster.

There has been alot of talk in LOST about the balance of good and evil, the yin and yang. So, if here is 'good' in the heart of the Island, then there is likely 'evil' as well. We have been told that MIB is evil, so I think his soul has become the evil portion, but he is trapped on the Island and can't leave. Just my guess.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 03:46:27 AM »
- The game being played by Jacob and his brother is the Egyptian game Senet.
* (But did it belong to their "Mother" -- is she Egyptian -- or was it something that washed up along with Claudia's shipwreck?  Were Claudia's people Egyptian or Roman?  Was that Latin that Claudia and Evil Mom were speaking at the beginning?  "Brother" got his knife from living with Claudia's people, right?  So does that make them Romans?)

- Throwing "Brother" into the light (?created? or ?unleashed?) the Smoke Monster.
* (When MIB is on the beach with Jacob saying he wants to kill him and also when he "just wants to go home", that's not even "Brother" at that point.  It's Smokey impersonating "Brother" and using his line about wanting to "go home" as a ruse to play on Jacob's sympathy.  Smokey doesn't have a "home" to go to, it just wants to be unleashed on the world.

- People were being brought to the Island before Jacob was born.
* (Was that "Mother" bringing them, or the Island itself?  Was she searching for her own replacement -- why, if she had eternal life?)

- Ghosts were appearing to people before Smokey was even unleashed.
* (Was that something "evil" that revealed itself to young "Brother" in order to lead him astray to live among Claudia's people and be corrupted by their lust for the Light?

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 07:33:03 AM »
- People were being brought to the Island before Jacob was born.
* (Was that "Mother" bringing them, or the Island itself?  Was she searching for her own replacement -- why, if she had eternal life?)

She told MiB "Thank You" before she died, maybe she has been doing it for a long time and wanted it to end. Shewill now live in peace blissfull ignorance in the Alt timeline?