Poll

Please give "Across The Sea" a rating and tell us what you thought of the episode in the comments.

4 (14.8%)
3 (11.1%)
3 (11.1%)
2 (7.4%)
5 (18.5%)
6 (22.2%)
1 (3.7%)
2 (7.4%)
0 (0%)
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Episode 6x15 Rating  (Read 6960 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 6x15 Rating
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
I give it a 9 because the WTF factor was so high that I stared at the TV screen for a full minute after the show was over, completely dumbfounded. I haven't done that since Season 3.
Usually when Lost leaves me dumbfounded, its because they just revealed something so very profound.  I was dubmfounded last night, mainly because they revealed things in a way that they either seemed unimportant, or raised more questions.  I'm dumbfounded that they pulled that crap in the 3rd to last episode and one that's supposed to be so important.

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 02:54:59 PM »
I gave it a 5.  It wasn't a horrible episode, but I felt like the episode could have been done in a shorter period of time.  And it was almost like a different show again because the characters weren't the same.  Clearly, this episode was important to the entire storyline, but I guess I'm just not very invested in those characters.  And really, I'm kind of tired of the repetitive storyline of people needing to be on the island to protect it.  Yeah, we got that in season 2.  Carry on.  They answered the Adam/Eve and Smoky questions, but now I am left to wonder, "who cares?"

Offline jinfan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 08:39:56 PM »
I gave it an 8. I liked the way it ALL seems relative. I think it should have been titled Raised By Another. :D

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 01:24:57 AM »
Hated it, what a disappointment.  We only have 3.5 hours left.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »
I gave it a 5.  It was an OK episode, maybe even awesome in parts, just not for three episodes from the end.  I think we (deservedly) expected more.  Yeah, it answered some stuff, and I was glad to get the Adam/Eve answer, but as everyone says... for every question answered, there's four more new ones, and it's getting kinda late in the game for that.  All the questions that we previously had with regards to Jacob's / MIB's motives... well, we still have them, only now they've been transferred to Crazy Mom because apparently they were just the next step from her, and she probably had a previous step before her as well.  I was hoping we'd be getting back to the root of it in this episode.

I loved the first few segments because I thought it was starting off strong, but then when I realized we were 45 minutes into it and it wasn't looking like any major answers were coming...

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
I agree with Kurdis's posting...very well organized. I am quite detailed oriented and can not understand why the "mother" killed the twins' mother since how did she expect to feed newborn babies?  I saw no  CVS with formula and bottles
 nor cows running around the island.And how did they avoid being found by a group of people on the island for 30 years?
I gave this episode a 5 since it explained  a few things and in my mind Smokey in LocKe's body can no longer be called MIB. MIB died and Smokey took his form.
I guess Flocke is now a better name. I thought it was very slow and could have
provided more answers  if the pace of the episode moved better...and had FEWER commercials.  egad

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 03:31:46 PM »

I gave this episode a 5 since it explained  a few things and in my mind Smokey in LocKe's body can no longer be called MIB. MIB died and Smokey took his form.

Except that Jacob can't kill his brother, so Jacob''s actions cannot directly lead to the supposed death of MiB. Also, entering will cause "A Fate Worse Than Death", not "A Fate Just As Bad As Death, Beacuse Its...Death". MiB Lives on in the form of everything in him that was evil, and therefore notsucked out by the Light.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 10:06:22 PM »
wow, y'all didn't like it?  i gave it a 10, i loved it.  back to island history, adam & eve answer, how smokey became smokey answer.  loved it. 

This is where I am, Buggy.  I've been waiting for that well of light protected by a guardian ever since Locke said in Walkabout that he had seen the eye of the island and that it was beautiful.  This episode to me was perfect (although the comments about the acting I might agree with...it was all very off, kind of stiff).  I loved:

* the guardian/mother's desperate actions yet how she loved the boys
* that MIB never got named
* them being twins -  epic story device
* every character's motivations were completely believable
* the argument between faith and science was perfectly encapsulated in the brother's argument about the island's powers
* I agree with the mother that the power on the island has to be protected by all means, and I am finally on board with there needing to be a guardian
* the birth of Smiokey was EPIC
* I am so glad that Adam and Eve are none of our chraacters
* the stage is set for the rebirth of John Locke and the return of Christan Shepherd.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »
I gave it a 7. There was a lot I liked about it (see Lakie's post above). I also liked how it gave a nuanced view of good vs. evil in terms of Jacob and MiB.

What i was disappointed with is they did not show any thing from the next 1500 years. And that is where we wouldve got the answers we were really looking for. Why is Jacob resposible for keeping smokey on the Island? Why does MiB hate Jacob so much? It seemed Jacob was pretty clueless- how did he learn so much about the Island? Etc. 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Final rating a 4. Watched again last night. Not any better the second tiime around.

Protecting a light?? Really a light?

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 10:30:21 AM »
Final rating a 4. Watched again last night. Not any better the second tiime around.

What would you rather they be protecting?
Or would you have preferred they not tell us?

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 11:20:48 AM »
I watched it again this weekend and afterwards liked it much better than the first time. Coming to this website for more clarification and then watching it again I feel I understand it much better.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »

YES!  A light of which a small portion is in every being... and if the main light goes out, then it goes out everywhere!!!  We must protect the light!!!!!

Drink some of the this kool-aid and you'll be the same as me ;)

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
One light goes out....   they all go out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »

YES!  A light of which a small portion is in every being... and if the main light goes out, then it goes out everywhere!!!  We must protect the light!!!!!

Drink some of the this kool-aid and you'll be the same as me ;)

See LOST has always had this mystical feel to it, and then when the whole reasoning for the show (Protecting the Light of Humanity) holds true to the Mystical Nature, people are unhappy with it. Not really trying to be a prick here, but what would we rather see as the reason for protecting the Island. If we are griping about the fact that the Island needs to be protecting then that is a disagreement about where the whole promise of the show should be going. If we are on board with the Island needing a protector, Protecting the Light of Humanity seems to me to be as Noble a cause as one can get, and it kind of goes hand in hand with the themes we have seen underlining our characters over the last 5.75 seasons. This is one of the circumstances where I think the writers clearly had a theme in mind for the show from day 1 and they have carried it out. Along the way there were things introduced to us that we wanted to have a central purpose to the show. When those things (The Numbers) didn't pan out to have immense central meaning we griped about that. I am really trying not to be too much of a prick, but I think this was an episode that confused some people. People aren't very happy about what we were shown, as far as answers, but they aren't really sure what they wanted to see instead.

I can honestly say that my favorite part of the Lost experience is taking the things we see on the show and figuring them out for myself. When I put together my theory on the reasoning behind the statue and the fertility issue I was so excited. If TPTB came out and told me that answer straight out I would have lost that moment that was so exhilerating for me, and it would have taken something away from what makes Lost so great. I understand how some people don't really like the way the Light was presented, but it was an answer that NEEDED to be given. I think they did a good job of it too. They answered why the Island needs to be protected, but didn't try to give us a big elaborate analysis of it. The detailed analysis of Lost is left up to us, which is why we love the show so much.