Poll

Please give "Across The Sea" a rating and tell us what you thought of the episode in the comments.

4 (14.8%)
3 (11.1%)
3 (11.1%)
2 (7.4%)
5 (18.5%)
6 (22.2%)
1 (3.7%)
2 (7.4%)
0 (0%)
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Episode 6x15 Rating  (Read 6913 times)

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 6x15 Rating
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »
Very well put, I_am_Jacob.

I think the writers tried to address certain questions that tied into central themes and ideas, and it worked for some of us and not for others.  From the beginning we always wanted to know why the castaways were on the Island, were they brought there on purpose or by coincidence, and why was the Island important.  They have tried to address this through the season 6 storyline, starting with the S5 finale.  I will certainly give them credit for boldly attempting to tell a story like that.

For me, the light kind of worked, and kind of didn't work.  I didn't need it; but I'm okay with it and willing to roll with it and move past it.  I am pretty confident that the final 3 1/2 hours of the show will be better for all - more action-packed, more character-based and focused on the redemption of our characters who we have cared about for 6 years.  Remember back when the show was all about redemption?  Ahh, the good ole days...

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »
There are excellent arguments as to why people loved this episode as to why people did not.
I think I was expecting something on the order of ab aeterno which overall everyone loved. The answers were there, Richard's acting amazing and it did not leave us with 20 additional  questions.  The fact that we had no time frame in this episode was frustrating whereas in Richard's they gave us a specific date and place. Even Danielle's flashback that we were looking forward to did not leave us with more questions, except that the group came out of the  cave??? with the illness which made them act so irrationally that Danielle had to kill them. That sickness though attributed to Sayid and Claire has  been left on the back burner.
So I believe that was the major frustration of "Across the Sea".  It moved slowly
and  provided more questions than answers Questions that the writers seem not interesting in answering. With so many Egyptian elements on the island I was astonished that no reference was made concerning them..Let us hope tonight's episode is better and is not a bloodbath where all our Losties die.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 01:02:51 PM »
You see Charlie, (As in Charlie Conway of Triple Deek Fame) I think they have already given us the Egyptian answers. We just have to know where to look for them. We know People crash on the Island right? We know that they have been crashing on the Island for centuries now, long before Jacob had to start bringing them there to help with the new found Nemesis on the Island. Here's where the Egyptians come into play, and the Mayans too if you like.

The Egyptians landed on the island like others had. They were in the presence of a protector, although there was little reason for the protector to get involved unless the castaways started to dig around and happened upon the light. The reason there was little reason for the Protector to get involved is because the Island made it so that no society could develope due to the inability for a mother to carry a baby full term. This inability is what caused the Egyptian castaways to build a statue to their Fertility goddess on the shore. They built other structures as well, and in some of those they carved their glyphs.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
Sorry no time to read anything else but I am giving this an 8 as we climb the ladder of hey we are moving along.  I knew the island was special

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »
IAJ, you did a very good job of presenting your thoughts, (and of restraining yourself from calling everyone idiots if they don't "get it"  ;)) so kudos to you for that!  I guess it's just that not everyone wants the same thing out of the show that you do, because we're all different personalities.  For example, let me try to address a few of mine-- not trying to be difficult, but just to try to get you to see how other people may look at it, (and I know I only speak for myself):

Protecting the Light of Humanity seems to me to be as Noble a cause as one can get....

Well, that sounds nice.  But the "light of humanity" is (forgive me) only what you are calling it.  We really haven't been told by the people who are the storytellers.  We only know that Crazy Mom said "it's in everybody" or something like that.  Well, OK, but even assuming that she actually knows and that she isn't crazy and doesn't lie, does that mean it's "everything good" (you seem to think so) and so if it goes out, everyone will be evil?  Or is it maybe "the spark that makes humans alive instead of just chunks of meat" so if it goes out, everyone will be dead?  Or is it electromagnetic energy, so if it goes out, the world will go into uncontrollable time shifts or implode or something?  These are very different things and present very different scenarios.  OK, so generally, yes, we are apparently supposed to imply that "good" things will go wrong if this light is messed with.  But there is also still the possibility that the light could be the glow from the fires of Hades or something.  The fact that we just don't know for sure is what's frustrating some of us.

People aren't very happy about what we were shown, as far as answers, but they aren't really sure what they wanted to see instead...

Well, yeah, I'm sure!   :)  I want to see answers that are a bit more specific -- less nebulous.  If you're the kind of person that can make up your own story and be satisfied that "that's how it IS" then you will be happy with what we're getting.  Personally, I'm more like Conway and am detail-oriented and would rather hear the answers from the story-tellers a little more specifically.  I don't think this means I'm a baby who needs to be spoon-fed -- I think it means I just prefer some confirmation for my speculations in order for them to satisfy me.

I think they have already given us the Egyptian answers. We just have to know where to look for them. We know People crash on the Island right? We know that they have been crashing on the Island for centuries now, long before Jacob had to start bringing them there to help with the new found Nemesis on the Island. Here's where the Egyptians come into play, and the Mayans too if you like.

The Egyptians landed on the island like others had. They were in the presence of a protector, although there was little reason for the protector to get involved unless the castaways started to dig around and happened upon the light. The reason there was little reason for the Protector to get involved is because the Island made it so that no society could develope due to the inability for a mother to carry a baby full term. This inability is what caused the Egyptian castaways to build a statue to their Fertility goddess on the shore. They built other structures as well, and in some of those they carved their glyphs.

Well, again, this all sounds nice.  But it doesn't mean it's right.  And "The Island made it so no society could develop by using The Infertility Curse" -- well, we just flat-out haven't been told anything that remotely resembles that, I don't think.  Is it possible?  Sure.  But quite frankly I would rather know.

I can honestly say that my favorite part of the Lost experience is taking the things we see on the show and figuring them out for myself...

I enjoy that, too.  But I like for the teacher to hand me back my quiz and tell me how I did on it.  I want the creators of the quiz to show me whether or not I got it right.

The detailed analysis of Lost is left up to us, which is why we love the show so much...

Well, (and again, forgive me) it's why YOU love the show so much.  I love the analysis, too, but to me it feels very frustrating if you never know (and I mean know) that your analysis was correct. 

I guess that makes me a (wo)man of Science rather than one of Faith, huh? :-\

Anyway, sorry IAJ if it feels like I'm picking on you -- I don't mean to because I know a lot of folks share your outlook, but you just do such a good job of presenting your side that it's easiest to quote you.   ;)   We're just on different sides of the Myers-Briggs bridge, I think...

If we don't get some more specific wrap-ups on Sunday, it will make me feel like the last page of the book is missing or something, and that will make me feel like the story-tellers shortchanged me.  So they still have one more shot to make it right...   ;)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts MP, Just want to touch on some things. When I make assumptions on why "WE" love the show so much I do it with thoughts of others shows that do not captivate the audience like LOST does. Shows that end their series mid season (Heroes). There are shows that give answers to questions every season. Pointing things out for the viewers that may have been wondered about or questioned for only a little while. There are shows that answer questions per season (Dexter) that pull THAT off well, but none of those even come close to rivalling the fervor with which episodes of LOST are poured over ad nauseum. That is the reference I make to why we love the show so much. Being a bit of a writer myself I get frustrated when I hear about people saying they will feel shortchanged if they don't get concrete answers because if we time jumped and went back to the start of the show and started giving out answers all over the place, the show would have been a three season show and viewers would fall off by the end.

All this goes hand in hand with the Theorizing versus Knowing idea of watching the show. We differ in our opinions on that and that is fine. I personally would think it would suck if the last two and a half hours were filled with ALL those questions that have been answered but not hammered home. When I get to the end of a mystic series like this, I don't think they are going to give us fake answers to fundamental questions like the light. Think about it like this if you will.

They tell us that the Light is good and needs protecting (At least twice now)
If that is a lie or a half truth, they have to answer it again as to what it really is.
If they answer what it really is, they also have to answer WHY the lie or half truth was told to us in the first place.

It doesn't make any sense for anyone to create two new questions, along with motivation development, that they are going to try to answer in the final 1 hr 40 mins of screentime left. It is with that in mind that I leave misdirection out of it. The only way I see that this show can fail is if they try to pull this sort of Houdini and try to tie up apparent double misdirections in the Finale.