Author Topic: What are the questions we want answered once and for all?  (Read 9496 times)

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: What are the questions we want answered once and for all?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
9.  What is the deal with the mechanical noises associated with Smokey?

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
I think I know this one...Smokey is a MRI machine  ;)

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 12:52:38 PM »

He's at least part-Roller Coaster.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 01:04:44 PM »

For some reason, when Smokey was first introduced, I thought he was man-made somehow...because of the mechanical noise and the flashes of what I had assumed were video tape footage..but then how in the heck did they get the videos of people? Anyhoo. Obviously now we know it's not man-made. So yeah. It would be nice to know what that sound is. Maybe that's what electro magnetism sounds like?  :-\

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »

For some reason, when Smokey was first introduced, I thought he was man-made somehow...because of the mechanical noise and the flashes of what I had assumed were video tape footage..but then how in the heck did they get the videos of people? Anyhoo. Obviously now we know it's not man-made. So yeah. It would be nice to know what that sound is. Maybe that's what electro magnetism sounds like?  :-\
I'm not surprised that most of you do not recognize that sound.  Its actually the mating call of a very rare and elusive species of fish, one that has appeared frequently during the course of Lost.  This fish is the Clupea harengus roseus, more commonly known simply as the Red Herring. 

IMHO, if TPTB even knew what the heck the monster was at the beginning, that sound was put in their to throw us off. 

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »

I'm not surprised that most of you do not recognize that sound.  Its actually the mating call of a very rare and elusive species of fish, one that has appeared frequently during the course of Lost.  This fish is the Clupea harengus roseus, more commonly known simply as the Red Herring. 

IMHO, if TPTB even knew what the heck the monster was at the beginning, that sound was put in their to throw us off. 

OMG seriously Mach?!?! They used a rare fish mating call!  :D :D :D I find that really entertaining!!!!  Honestly I thought the foley people were opening an old rusty garage door or something!!!!  :D

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »

OMG seriously Mach?!?! They used a rare fish mating call!  :D :D :D I find that really entertaining!!!!  Honestly I thought the foley people were opening an old rusty garage door or something!!!!  :D

Yeah TPTB came out and said that they gave it the ticker tape sound to have it be someone that everyone could recognize, but not really know where from.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 02:50:40 AM »
I wonder what happens with Daniel and Charlotte? And what's up with Mrs. Hawkings? Are we ever gonna get her whole story?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:00:41 PM by KoKoNut »

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »

Seriously, it does sound a lot like this.  And plus, Smokey goes all uuuuppp and dooowwwwn like a roller-coaster too.  I think you've answered it, beann.   ;)

10.  What was up with that whole "replay-the-tape/loop" scene when Horace was building the cabin and Locke was questioning him?

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »

Seriously, it does sound a lot like this.  And plus, Smokey goes all uuuuppp and dooowwwwn like a roller-coaster too.  I think you've answered it, beann.   ;)

10.  What was up with that whole "replay-the-tape/loop" scene when Horace was building the cabin and Locke was questioning him?
The island was speaking to Locke through a dream.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 08:29:14 AM »

Well what the heck was it saying?  I've never had a dream that time-loops like that!   :D

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 10:49:34 AM »

Well what the heck was it saying?  I've never had a dream that time-loops like that!   :D
I just took it as it telling him how to find the cabin. I dunno.

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »

I just took it as it telling him how to find the cabin. I dunno.

There have been many theories that LOST is a time loop - I now think that it isn't a time loop exactly, but that the island is in a causality loop - something dramatic and traumatic happened, who knows how many eons ago, and the electromagnetic properties of the island have "recorded" that drama and is replaying it all in a loop - no doubt we've all noticed by now how events replay themselves - parent issues, kidnapping, saving the world while waiting for a replacement, faith vs. science, killing of a parent, etc., even certain phrases have been replayed over and over out of the mouths of different characters, and it's all still happening in the sideways world, albeit sort of a "mirror" image. Maybe Jacob (or maybe smokey? Or someone else altogether?) is trying to break that loop... Anyway, perhaps the looping nature of the Horace/Cabin dream (and the Boone dream back in season 1 - Teresa falls up the stairs, Teresa falls down the stairs) is just an effect of this metaphysical looping...

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »
My biggest questions:

- 4 8 15 16 23 42 - now that we know these are the number assignments of the last 6 candidates, I want to know how Dharma got ahold of these numbers, why they thought they were so important, why they were being broadcast, and why they were used for the Swan station reset code.
- Eloise - what is her deal? What is her motivation? And what was her relationship to the monk? She we just assume that she persuaded him to "fire" Desmond so he could get on with meeting Penny?
- why the pregnancy issues on the island? Jughead had better not be the answer - radiation could certainly lead to infertility, but would not be something that causes a pregnancy seem perfectly normal up until the third trimester, where suddenly the womb looks like that of an 80 year old and the mother and child both die. That is not infertility, that is something strange - so strange that a fertility expert could not figure it out, but was able to deduce that it happens at conception. That is not radiation poisoning!
- What would smokey have done with Locke if he had gotten him down into that hole in season 1? How would that support his plan to build Locke up to be the new leader in order to get access to Jacob's lair?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 04:54:21 PM »
My biggest questions:

- why the pregnancy issues on the island? Jughead had better not be the answer - radiation could certainly lead to infertility, but would not be something that causes a pregnancy seem perfectly normal up until the third trimester, where suddenly the womb looks like that of an 80 year old and the mother and child both die. That is not infertility, that is something strange - so strange that a fertility expert could not figure it out, but was able to deduce that it happens at conception. That is not radiation poisoning!

I answered this one.

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php/topic,11000.0.html