Author Topic: Claire left behind again  (Read 2885 times)

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Claire left behind again
« on: May 09, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »
I don't think this has been discussed, but I was particularly struck by the fact that Claire was left behind by her "friends" once again, for the 3rd time - Sawyer shut the door to the sub before she could come in.  And while she knows that MiB did not want her to die on the sub (supposedly), she still has to realize that Sawyer chose not to bring her.  This is the same choice that was made when Sawyer, Jack, Kate and Hurley left MiB's camp to steal the boat, and in Claire's eyes it is the same choice that was made when the Oceanic 6 left on the freighter.

I have hoped that Claire's character will be "saved" from the darkness and make it off the Island to reunite with Aaron, but I am now fearing that she is a lost cause, if only because she does not trust her former friends and will either turn on them or choose not to follow them in the end.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Claire left behind again
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
losties don't trust claire and probably dont care much for her either ... kate definitely wants her   and of course jack  as a brother ...in  this case  she was quiet far from the sub and sawyer did come to get her but seeing  mib  right  behind  , he choose to shut her out 
                   i don't get it why people  think  mib cares too much  for  claire   .. he did not exactly stop her from going  .. and what if  she did get into the sub ..  he  would  have just  happily seen  her get kaboomed 

i would like to think they brought back claire for a reason ..she should have some purpose apart from following mib around .. ..hoping she survives in the end and reunite with aaron ,   but  seeing everyone getting killed off just  don't see her surviving the war .   

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
Yeah, MiB definitely could not care less if she lives or dies.  He's obviously just using her.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »
The question in my mind is, what is he using her for? I suppose he can manipulate her into killing people for him...but then why didn't he utilize that already? Very confused.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:44:36 PM »
The question in my mind is, what is he using her for? I suppose he can manipulate her into killing people for him...but then why didn't he utilize that already? Very confused.

He's had Sayid doing it all for him up 'til now, so he hasn't really had to utilize her yet.  And now, Claire has some "trust" built up with Kate/Jack, maybe.  They might let her get closer than they would've let Sayid?  I dunno...

It might all have something to do with Aaron still, too.  I can't see how, but TPTB sure led us a merry chase thinking Aaron was going to be some big special deal, and Claire is his mom, and she was the first to overcome whatever the Island's fertility problem is.  So maybe Flocke's use for Claire has something to do with that?  I really really really hope they don't just drop that whole plotline and never explain to us what was up with that.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »
I was reminded that they switched writer's or something mid-series.  I'm wondering if the original writer's had an idea of what the storyline was going to be, focussing quite a bit on Walt and Aaron...and then when the new writer's came on board, they took a different path with the focus of the stories and characters. So we may never really have resolution on some of the main questions from earlier in the series.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 03:18:47 PM »
***cries***   :'(

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »
***cries***   :'(

Hmmm... hey yeah. What happened with the polar bears???

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 04:43:42 PM »
I was reminded that they switched writer's or something mid-series.  I'm wondering if the original writer's had an idea of what the storyline was going to be, focussing quite a bit on Walt and Aaron...and then when the new writer's came on board, they took a different path with the focus of the stories and characters. So we may never really have resolution on some of the main questions from earlier in the series.

But Damon and Carlton have been the main story architects since day one. I think their main story will end up being told to its end on May 23. Some of the questions that we have been freaking out about may not neccessarily be important to the core of the story regardless of how desperately we want it to be. Some Examples:

-Claire's prophecy may have just been forshadowing the island timeline and the fact that she was eventually going to be living in the SideLinetm with Aaron by her side. "Must not let him be raised by another" and then the inevitability of him buying her the ticket on 815 to crash her on the island and Aaron ends up being raised by another. Course correction.

-Walt's Powers may just be another instance of a character having a special power on LOST. His seemed unique until we meet up with Hurley, Miles, and Desmond. They all have powers of there own. The explanation of this could be as simple as these were powers that were intended for Waltuntil he hit a Power Forward's growth spurt.

-Kate's Horse was one that escaped from the Flame station.

These are all questions that have been asked at one point in time or another, and may very well never be answered. Does that mean that their story arc was made up as they went? No. It just means that they adapted their initial intentions to fit withon the structure of the story they wanted to tell. This is story that is over 100 hours long. There is no way to tell a story that lapses the century mark and is completely devoid of inconsistancies.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 04:47:02 PM »
After rewatching, while Sawyer was ditching Claire, Locke was running after her, calling her name, so she wouldn't get on the sub. He even grabbed her while she was about to jump on top and try to break in like John Belushi in 1942. Locke clearly didn't want her to be on it.

Now some may argue that it is because of his selfless caring for her well being, but I think he just wants to use her. If he can't kill the surviving Losties directly, he'll need someone to do it for him...like Claire.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:15:43 PM »

I just assumed that he actually had some sort of affection for Claire, maybe because he relates her to his own "mother" (he said his mom was nuts, and now Aaron has a crazy mom, too). Of course now we get to find out if MiB actually had a mother to begin with and if he's actually human lol. But, yeah, in my mind Claire is just a little different in MiB's eyes.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »
I have hoped that Claire's character will be "saved" from the darkness and make it off the Island to reunite with Aaron, but I am now fearing that she is a lost cause, if only because she does not trust her former friends and will either turn on them or choose not to follow them in the end.

Claire doesn't have to make it off the island to be reunited with Aaron, she is already with him in the ATL (well, she's still pregnant, but you know what I mean).  I think the original timeline, the one in which everyone suffered and/or died in the name of Jacob and the island, will be the one that will 'cease to be'.  MIB will be defeated and everyone will get their lives back in the ATL, where the island is submerged.  Claire will go on to have Aaron and raise him herself, with her new brother Jack and her new friend Kate (not guilty) in her life also.  She'll probably also meet up with Charlie.  Everyone will not only have their lives back, but they will 'remember' the lives they 'lost'.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »

Claire doesn't have to make it off the island to be reunited with Aaron, she is already with him in the ATL (well, she's still pregnant, but you know what I mean).  I think the original timeline, the one in which everyone suffered and/or died in the name of Jacob and the island, will be the one that will 'cease to be'.  MIB will be defeated and everyone will get their lives back in the ATL, where the island is submerged.  Claire will go on to have Aaron and raise him herself, with her new brother Jack and her new friend Kate (not guilty) in her life also.  She'll probably also meet up with Charlie.  Everyone will not only have their lives back, but they will 'remember' the lives they 'lost'.

Totally agree here.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 12:09:53 PM »

Totally agree here.
I agree as well.  I think until Jin, Sun and Sayid were killed I was still thinking that the Island timeline is the one that needs to be preserved, but when you consider all the bad things that have happened and all the people who have died, it seems like the alternate timeline should win out.  I mean, there are only 5 original castaways left (not counting Rose and Bernard)!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 01:50:54 PM »

Totally agree here.
I agree as well.  I think until Jin, Sun and Sayid were killed I was still thinking that the Island timeline is the one that needs to be preserved, but when you consider all the bad things that have happened and all the people who have died, it seems like the alternate timeline should win out.  I mean, there are only 5 original castaways left (not counting Rose and Bernard)!

I like the theory, but the only fly in that ointment is the idea that was first brought up by Charlie, then further explained by Daniel. The idea that in the alt timeline, they are not "supposed" to be there. It's not what their lives were meant to be.