Author Topic: About the sunken island  (Read 3039 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
About the sunken island
« on: May 07, 2010, 10:17:18 AM »
This thought just popped into my head, and at 9:15 in the morning, that is quite an accomplishment for me. But this just occurred to me, in S1, we find out that the plane was off course and turning around to head back to Australia when it ended up on the Mysterious Island of Mysterious Mysteries. BUT, in S6E01 we see that Oceanic 815 flies right over the island, no?? I don't know if this is as important as it seems to me, but I just thought I would throw that out there in case no one else noticed it.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: About the sunken island
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »
Believe it or not I had a snippet of that thought yesterday and scuttled it. Not sure if will arise to be anything, but it MAY explain that the plane would have flown over the Island without Jacob bringing it there. Some people claim it was Jacob who brought 815 there by making it jut off course. With the Island out of the picture the plane should have been miles away from where the island was.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 03:07:21 PM »
if I remember the scene correctly, we don't know for sure that the plane did fly directly over the island

they showed the plane, then the camera shot went outside, then traveled for a short while, then went underwater, then traveled for another short time

I just assumed they speeded up the travel time of the camera, so the camera could have traveled 100's of miles in a short amount of time

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
if I remember the scene correctly, we don't know for sure that the plane did fly directly over the island

they showed the plane, then the camera shot went outside, then traveled for a short while, then went underwater, then traveled for another short time

I just assumed they speeded up the travel time of the camera, so the camera could have traveled 100's of miles in a short amount of time

True, I didn't think of that, but in S1, the pilot says...

PILOT: Six hours in, our radio went out. No-one could see us. We turned back to land in Fiji. By the time we hit turbulence, we we were a thousand miles off course. They're looking for us in the wrong place.

And I don't want to sound like a professional cinematographer or anything, but they didn't really make it seem they traveled a thousand miles away from the plane. But that's just my take on it.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:53:57 PM »

True, I didn't think of that, but in S1, the pilot says...

PILOT: Six hours in, our radio went out. No-one could see us. We turned back to land in Fiji. By the time we hit turbulence, we we were a thousand miles off course. They're looking for us in the wrong place.

And I don't want to sound like a professional cinematographer or anything, but they didn't really make it seem they traveled a thousand miles away from the plane. But that's just my take on it.

Thats the way I took it too. There was minimal travel in terms of distance. I think it was intended to be just below the plane.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »
Remember on thing the island can cloak itself and there is a great chance that they were brought there none the less and by none other than Desmond!  Just keep that in the back of your heads for now.

Bob glad to know you are thinking that early in the day.  I have drafted a letter of commendation to your superiors ans ask that they move your office from the janiotor closet to the corner office.  The downside of this is that there is a giant billboard of Evangaline Lilly and her L'Oreal hair coloring out that window.

Life is a beach!  ;D ;)

this is a good thread ;) :D

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »
Remember on thing the island can cloak itself and there is a great chance that they were brought there none the less and by none other than Desmond!  Just keep that in the back of your heads for now.

Bob glad to know you are thinking that early in the day.  I have drafted a letter of commendation to your superiors ans ask that they move your office from the janiotor closet to the corner office.  The downside of this is that there is a giant billboard of Evangaline Lilly and her L'Oreal hair coloring out that window.

Life is a beach!  ;D ;)

this is a good thread ;) :D

I appreciate that, but please don't threaten me with stalagmite face. She's just awful.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »
I just had a thought about the sunken island, too...  I'm sure this has been re-hashed a million times but for some reason I never really thought about it...

Is the island underwater when alt-815 flew over it, because it went underwater when Ben pushed the donkey-wheel and the island went *bloop* under the waves? 

I guess I'm getting my timelines confused in my pea-brain... so it was 2007 when Ben pushed the donkey-wheel, right?  And it was 1977 (or was it?) when Juliet banged on the Jughead and went boom.  And alt-815 flew over the underwater island in 2004?  And I suppose there could still be another event that hasn't happened yet that might put it underwater...

I guess this is all moot speculation, though, because we don't know whether either of the two above actions might've caused a time-jump and put it any time that was convenient...   And also anywhere that was convenient, like under the flight-path of alt-815, even though as Bob notes it should've been thousands of miles away.       ???

Ow.  My brain hurts.  Ow ow ow ow ow.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
I just had a thought about the sunken island, too...  I'm sure this has been re-hashed a million times but for some reason I never really thought about it...

Is the island underwater when alt-815 flew over it, because it went underwater when Ben pushed the donkey-wheel and the island went *bloop* under the waves? 

I guess I'm getting my timelines confused in my pea-brain... so it was 2007 when Ben pushed the donkey-wheel, right?  And it was 1977 (or was it?) when Juliet banged on the Jughead and went boom.  And alt-815 flew over the underwater island in 2004?  And I suppose there could still be another event that hasn't happened yet that might put it underwater...

I guess this is all moot speculation, though, because we don't know whether either of the two above actions might've caused a time-jump and put it any time that was convenient...   And also anywhere that was convenient, like under the flight-path of alt-815, even though as Bob notes it should've been thousands of miles away.       ???

Ow.  My brain hurts.  Ow ow ow ow ow.

Well, the only thing I can do to help your head is this. It seems that whatever happened in the Off-island time line (Alt) doesn't really have any kind of connection to the On-island time line (Original), so I don't think that Juliette's bomb exploding moment has anything to do with the Off-island time line.