Author Topic: How did Kate fail her candidacy?  (Read 5530 times)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: How did Kate fail her candidacy?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »
So, you just ignore the fact her name was one of the few not crossed out in the lighthouse? Or explain that in a different way?
yep.... sorry Casey you know I don't care for this character.  I know you are saying though and sometimes I wonder how inconsistant this show is

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 11:58:36 PM »
So, you just ignore the fact her name was one of the few not crossed out in the lighthouse? Or explain that in a different way?
yep.... sorry Casey you know I don't care for this character.  I know you are saying though and sometimes I wonder how inconsistant this show is

I hear ya. I've done own fair share of continuity error ignoring. (Sayid's Iranian passport, Claire's sonogram *cough*) I just wasn't sure if you were taking that as an error, or if you just had an explanation for it like Jacob didn't have time to get to the Lighthouse to cross it off.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »

I hear ya. I've done own fair share of continuity error ignoring. (Sayid's Iranian passport, Claire's sonogram *cough*) I just wasn't sure if you were taking that as an error, or if you just had an explanation for it like Jacob didn't have time to get to the Lighthouse to cross it off.
yeah I think Jacob was a bit behind I like and thanks for explaining and understanding.  I could type a list of WTF's on this series but really not worth my time ;D ;)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »
Let's ask Mikhail

MIKHAIL: Because you are not on the list
KATE: What list?
MIKHAIL: The man who brought me here, who brought all of my people here, he is a magnificent man
KATE: If Benís so magnificent, then why did he need one of us to save him?
MIKHAIL: Ben? Ben is not. I will try to make this as simple as I can. You are not on the list because you are flawed. Because you are angry, and weak, and frightened.

Par Avion

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »
Let's ask Mikhail

MIKHAIL: Because you are not on the list
KATE: What list?
MIKHAIL: The man who brought me here, who brought all of my people here, he is a magnificent man
KATE: If Benís so magnificent, then why did he need one of us to save him?
MIKHAIL: Ben? Ben is not. I will try to make this as simple as I can. You are not on the list because you are flawed. Because you are angry, and weak, and frightened.

Par Avion

Well, good one there Creflo!  I like the research and now we can put this one down.  She is flawed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 05:40:45 AM »
Yeah, I guess my original question is when do people get crossed off?

At some point, Jacob gives up on them.  But they all start out as possible candidates ... and they're already flawed before they even come to the Island, right?  (Or are they pure at the moment Jacob comes to visit them at some crucial moment and then they subsequently go wrong?)

But once they get the Island, "their past doesn't matter", right?  So if they're still viable candidates when they get to the Island, then they get crossed off because of their actions on the Island.  Their behavior in the new environment doesn't change and at some point after they've come to the IslandJacob crosses them off.

For Kate, I can go with its being taking Aaron "for her own sake" rather than for Aaron's sake, which the show has made a point of saying.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:18 AM »
Thanks, Creflo, good catch.

Not only is she flawed, but she is angry and weak and frightened.  I can go along with that.  She definitely exhibited those flaws on-island.

Thing is, I can't see how Jacob wouldn't have seen Jack's on-island flaws as well (goodness knows we here at Sledgeweb have seen them easily enough.)  Yet it really seems like Jack is heading towards being "the" one...

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »

At some point, Jacob gives up on them.  But they all start out as possible candidates ... and they're already flawed before they even come to the Island, right?  (Or are they pure at the moment Jacob comes to visit them at some crucial moment and then they subsequently go wrong?)

But once they get the Island, "their past doesn't matter", right?  So if they're still viable candidates when they get to the Island, then they get crossed off because of their actions on the Island.  Their behavior in the new environment doesn't change and at some point after they've come to the IslandJacob crosses them off.

For Kate, I can go with its being taking Aaron "for her own sake" rather than for Aaron's sake, which the show has made a point of saying.

I understand wanting closure but it is moot Jacob is dead and the candidates are slowly dying so when the end comes we will finally get an idea of what the idea was.
Wow say that five times

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 05:36:50 PM »
Nice find, Creflo...the only problem with that explaination is that it would eliminate EVERYONE. So, as great as Mikhail is, I don't think he is the end-all-be-all for the answer to this.

Plus, if it is Kate, she would always just be a phone call away, just check out this old commercial...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ6hIEqKR7A

Yes it's real.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »

Yeah I really think it has to do with her being very unsure regarding her decisions. She has never really showed much conviction at all with anything she does. Sawyer/Jack, Raising Aaron/ Comingback to get Clair to raise him. She is just a big pile of "I don't know maybe." The new Jacob cannot be that way. They need to make a decision and stick to it.