Author Topic: "Two Sides" to the conflict?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
"Two Sides" to the conflict?
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:31:22 PM »
In my mind I thought we were getting set up for a two-sided battle: light vs. dark, Jacob vs. MIB, Losties vs. Others, Widmore vs. Ben (and his connections) and so forth...but now we have Widmore (somewhere, just how does he FIT into this), Desmond down a well, Sayid has joined up with Jack and his crew, Others...(where are any of the others? Where are all the ones that followed MIB?), Where is Ben?, and now MIB emerges from the water like the creature from the black lagoon and he and Claire seem to be a dynamic duo?

How many sides are there?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: "Two Sides" to the conflict?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »
I think they all eventually line up with either light or dark when all is said and done.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:57:39 AM »
There are a total of 27 different sides, we will learn about the other 24 alliances in the next episode, where they will then be promptly killed, which will lead into the next episode, "Why they died". Don't want this to be too much of a spolier, But Hurley Bird and Dave are the leaders of two of the strongest alliances that are against "Snaggle Tooth Pete" who is just trying to find the buried treasure on Old man Haggerty's farm, we know the farm as "The Temple". But Shhhhhhhh

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:59:16 AM »
In my mind I thought we were getting set up for a two-sided battle: light vs. dark, Jacob vs. MIB, Losties vs. Others, Widmore vs. Ben (and his connections) and so forth...but now we have Widmore (somewhere, just how does he FIT into this), Desmond down a well, Sayid has joined up with Jack and his crew, Others...(where are any of the others? Where are all the ones that followed MIB?), Where is Ben?, and now MIB emerges from the water like the creature from the black lagoon and he and Claire seem to be a dynamic duo?

Nine, give or take. Also, these sides, they will be a-merging.

The Others. When Jack woke up in the dugout canoe on Hydra island he asked Sayid, "What happened?" and Sayid told him that there was a mortar attack, Locke saved Jack, and that the "ones who weren't killed scattered into the jungle, it's just the three of us now." So there is an unknown quantity of Others out there in the jungle, probably armed, but likely just putting some jungle salve on their wounds and playing leafy tic-tac-toe to pass the time until their redshirt abilities are called upon again.

MiB and Claire. She seems to have been forgiven for taking off with the Losties on the sailboat. "I understand" Yeah, right. I'm not sure why Locke/MiB needs her but I suspect the whole light/dark thing could be put on the shoulders of sister/brother combo Claire/Jack. In the island timeline Claire has had baby Aaron and Jack is childless (as far as he knows, rimshot!) and in the sideways timeline Aaron is yet to be born and Jack has a son. Without Claire Locke/MiB is an army of one, well two if you count smokey, but he's hanging onto Claire for some reason. If it comes down to a final conflict for the kids it might somehow matter that Ji Yeon Kwon is parentless in the island timeline and is unborn in the sideways timeline.

The Final Four Candidates, Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sawyer were last seen washed up on the beach and on Smokey's to-do list. Jack will probably take over from Sawyer as leader of this group now that Sawyer scuttled the sub. In a way they are even, as far as making mistakes that costs lives of their friends, but that's not something that is fun to keep score on. I don't think Sawyer will bring it up even though Jack's argument is basically "trust me on this". I thought Sawyer would pop him when he said that on the sub. I like that Jack is working more from his heart than his head now as he seems to have learned something about letting go. Jack's deduction that Locke/MiB might not be allowed to kill them could be huge, if he is right.

Team Richard, with Ben and Miles riding shotgun, were last seen setting off to get dynamite from Dharmaville and then rally at the plane and blow it up to prevent Locke/MiB from getting off the island. Richard seems to be operating from his communing with Isabella in the jungle where Hurley also told him, "there's one more thing, you have to prevent Locke/MiB from leaving the island, or we're all going to hell".  I could see this group merging back with the Final Four when they get a chance.

Team Jacob. Dead, talks to Hurley, makes wine and tapestries for fun. Jacob would seem to be the good guy. Richard had lost his faith in Jacob after he died and the temple Others got wiped out, but he get his mojo back after a jungle session with Hurley/Isabella. Jacob's touch seemed to bring our Losties to the island, and he'd like to see one of them step up to be the next island caretaker, tho it seems like a dead end job to me. jacob's superpowers seem to be the touch of immortality and destiny. Jacob seems to be interested in the living, Locke/MiB is about having folks face death, and the cork is… I forget, what's the cork again? A prison?

Team Widmore. What is his plan and why won't he PM it to me?!? Rumor has it he was seen at Comic Con wearing a t-shirt that said, "Ask me about my plans to blow up the Deathstar."  Weird, I know. Widmore rarely wears t-shirts. All of the Losties would love a hot meal and a cool plan but Widmore is too tight-lipped about his hidden plans to get them to join his rebellion. He would seem to be a natural ally with the Losties and even Ben if he can let that silly misunderstanding about leader of the island thing slide. He has precision missiles but didn't use them to kill until the candidates (excluding Jack) were safely on their knees with guns pointed at the back of their heads. WTF is up with Widmore?!?

Eloise Hawking, that's what. Did she hide the birth of son Daniel from him and raise him as a Faraday instead? She's living a life with her piano playing son Daniel Widmore in the sideways timeline. It's too god to last tho, now that Widmore super-magentized Desmond and Charlie showed him the island timeline. Where did Daniel's dream about the Minkowski diagram come from? Penelope is Daniel's half sister, but which half? I have a feeling that Eloise and Widmore both know what's going on with the island but aren't saying, for our own good, of course.

Desmond. Poor Des. He's been through a lot for the love of his good woman Pen -- I think he knows now what he didn't know then. Desmond is a Master of Time and Space! w00t! He will probably team up with Jack and the gang but he's got a sacrifice to make. Uh-oh…

spoiler. Those kids are going to be in sooo much trouble when their dad returns. I know Ilana said Locke/MiB can't change into a different meat suit any more, but I would love to see the return of a shoeless Christian Shepard. I mean sheesh! Ilana has been mistaken before.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:13:44 AM by ericd543 »

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:39:06 AM »

The Others. When Jack woke up in the dugout canoe on Hydra island he asked Sayid, "What happened?" and Sayid told him that there was a mortar attack, Locke saved Jack, and that the "ones who weren't killed scattered into the jungle, it's just the three of us now." So there is an unknown quantity of Others out there in the jungle, probably armed, but likely just putting some jungle salve on their wounds and playing leafy tic-tac-toe to pass the time until their redshirt abilities are called upon again.

MiB and Claire. She seems to have been forgiven for taking off with the Losties on the sailboat. "I understand" Yeah, right. I'm not sure why Locke/MiB needs her but I suspect the whole light/dark thing could be put on the shoulders of sister/brother combo Claire/Jack. In the island timeline Claire has had baby Aaron and Jack is childless (as far as he knows, rimshot!) and in the sideways timeline Aaron is yet to be born and Jack has a son. Without Claire Locke/MiB is an army of one, well two if you count smokey, but he's hanging onto Claire for some reason. If it comes down to a final conflict for the kids it might somehow matter that Ji Yeon Kwon is parentless in the island timeline and is unborn in the sideways timeline.

The Final Four Candidates, Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sawyer were last seen washed up on the beach and on Smokey's to-do list. Jack will probably take over from Sawyer as leader of this group now that Sawyer scuttled the sub. In a way they are even, as far as making mistakes that costs lives of their friends, but that's not something that is fun to keep score on. I don't think Sawyer will bring it up even though Jack's argument is basically "trust me on this". I thought Sawyer would pop him when he said that on the sub. I like that Jack is working more from his heart than his head now as he seems to have learned something about letting go. Jack's deduction that Locke/MiB might not be allowed to kill them could be huge, if he is right.

Team Richard, with Ben and Miles riding shotgun, were last seen setting off to get dynamite from Dharmaville and then rally at the plane and blow it up to prevent Locke/MiB from getting off the island. Richard seems to be operating from his communing with Isabella in the jungle where Hurley also told him, "there's one more thing, you have to prevent Locke/MiB from leaving the island, or we're all going to hell".  I could see this group merging back with the Final Four when they get a chance.

Team Jacob. Dead, talks to Hurley, makes wine and tapestries for fun. Jacob would seem to be the good guy. Richard had lost his faith in Jacob after he died and the temple Others got wiped out, but he get his mojo back after a jungle session with Hurley/Isabella. Jacob's touch seemed to bring our Losties to the island, and he'd like to see one of them step up to be the next island caretaker, tho it seems like a dead end job to me. jacob's superpowers seem to be the touch of immortality and destiny. Jacob seems to be interested in the living, Locke/MiB is about having folks face death, and the cork is… I forget, what's the cork again? A prison?

Team Widmore. What is his plan and why won't he PM it to me?!? Rumor has it he was seen at Comic Con wearing a t-shirt that said, "Ask me about my plans to blow up the Deathstar."  Weird, I know. Widmore rarely wears t-shirts. All of the Losties would love a hot meal and a cool plan but Widmore is too tight-lipped about his hidden plans to get them to join his rebellion. He would seem to be a natural ally with the Losties and even Ben if he can let that silly misunderstanding about leader of the island thing slide. He has precision missiles but didn't use them to kill until the candidates (excluding Jack) were safely on their knees with guns pointed at the back of their heads. WTF is up with Widmore?!?

Eloise Hawking, that's what. Did she hide the birth of son Daniel from him and raise him as a Faraday instead? She's living a life with her piano playing son Daniel Widmore in the sideways timeline. It's too god to last tho, now that Widmore super-magentized Desmond and Charlie showed him the island timeline. Where did Daniel's dream about the Minkowski diagram come from? Penelope is Daniel's half sister, but which half? I have a feeling that Eloise and Widmore both know what's going on with the island but aren't saying, for our own good, of course.

Desmond. Poor Des. He's been through a lot for the love of his good woman Pen -- I think he knows now what he didn't know then. Desmond is a Master of Time and Space! w00t! He will probably team up with Jack and the gang but he's got a sacrifice to make. Uh-oh…

spoiler. Those kids are going to be in sooo much trouble when their dad returns. I know Ilana said Locke/MiB can't change into a different meat suit any more, but I would love to see the return of a shoeless Christian Shepard. I mean sheesh! Ilana has been mistaken before.

Wow, thanks for spelling this out!   ;D

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »

this would have made a kick-ass front page article!

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:32:35 AM »
If you're bringing Eloise into it, why not Penny?  Can't she use her resources to still find the island and bring the Calvary?

I still think the key is Desmond and the love shack of magnetism.  He's going to take another trip to the wild side and do something to change everything.  Why introduce that whole storyline and then have Des just say "OK, I'll come" to Sayid to head back to Craphole Island?   He is going "back to the Shack"  to save Team Jack!

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »
MiB and Claire. I'm not sure why Locke/MiB needs her

MIB needs Claire because there are still candidates that he can't kill directly.  He still needs an assassin and Sayid is dead.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »
MiB and Claire. I'm not sure why Locke/MiB needs her

MIB needs Claire because there are still candidates that he can't kill directly.  He still needs an assassin and Sayid is dead.

Yup

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
Ericd -- FREAKIN' BRILLIANT!

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »
There is also a team Rose/Bernard/Vincent hiding somewhere
and the people off-island like Walt, Aaron and his grandmother, Ji Yeon, Clementine and her mother.
And there is a timetravelling Locke that still has to appear with a living Charlotte and Juliet.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »
There is also a team Rose/Bernard/Vincent hiding somewhere
and the people off-island like Walt, Aaron and his grandmother, Ji Yeon, Clementine and her mother.
And there is a timetravelling Locke that still has to appear with a living Charlotte and Juliet.

Yeah Clemintine and her mother are not going to be seen again. They are meaningless here. Aaron's grandmother is pointless now too. These characters are not going to be central to the arc at all so forget them like most of the rest of the viewers have.

As for the rest of your post I LOVE how you just make stuff up. "timetravelling Locke that still has to appear with a living Charlotte and Juliet"? Yeah where did this idea come from? Charlotte and Juliet are dead in Island time. In the SideLinetm Charlotte is going to meet up with Daniel and have love time, Juliet is going to be David's mother. done and done.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »
Eric...thanks for such a concise (and very entertaining) wrap up of who's who!