Author Topic: Confusion about Sayid  (Read 5756 times)

Offline jib22

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Confusion about Sayid
« on: May 05, 2010, 12:53:43 PM »
Okay, I admit there are a lot of things to be confused about regarding Lost BUT Sayid's character mystifies me this season. It was my understanding he died and was resurrected (by whom I don't know) with a definite zombie turn toward the 'dark side' like Claire. Then he proceeds to follow Flock's every command, while acting completely strange towards the other Losties. Suddenly, he is on the sub and redeems himself by trying to save his friends and giving Jack the message he is the one who must get to Des. Didn't Dogen flat out say Sayid had the sickness within him and it was too late? What happened??

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion about Sayid
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
It seems talking to Desmond we the catalyst that changed him.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »
I am not sure but he had that conversation with Desmond. Perhaps Desmond enlightened him on some facts or was able to get him out of his zombie like state somehow.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »
It seems talking to Desmond we the catalyst that changed him.
Def Desmond's talk with him changed his attitude towards MIB and the entire situation.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:37:12 PM »
Desmond's 'Jacob-like' confidence when he delivered that line to Sayid was a foretelling of the scene in this episode.  I don't see how they could turn it around at this point, but I think Desmond would be the best candidate, even over the newly faithful Jack.  Maybe they'll be a team.  Desmond's sacrifice will be to stay behind with Jack as his new Richard.

Offline jib22

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »
Desmond's 'Jacob-like' confidence when he delivered that line to Sayid was a foretelling of the scene in this episode. 

lostfan777, What "line" are you referring to? I need a memory jog!

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »
Yeah, seeing Desmond somehow triggered something in Sayid (almost a reboot) then talking to Desmond put him back on track...as my wife said - "See I told you he wasn't evil"  :-\ uh, yeah he was  :P  :D he just changed sides...and turned toward the light  ;D

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »
Desmond's 'Jacob-like' confidence when he delivered that line to Sayid was a foretelling of the scene in this episode. 

lostfan777, What "line" are you referring to? I need a memory jog!

I can't quote the line, but he asked Sayid if the 'love' he lost would be happy knowing what he was doing to get her back.  He said that line confidently, knowing (I'm assuming) that there still some good left in Sayid.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »
Everything about Sayid was different in this episode. It was as if he completely reverted back to himself again. Even his mannerisms and the way he spoke to the others sounded like "old" Sayid.  I thought I had imagined zombie Sayid. But yes, Desmond's comment about Isabella must have been what "woke" Sayid out of his zombie-state. Again the True Love theme comes to play. 

Offline jib22

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »
Okay, I get that talking to Des turned things around with Sayid.  So now the question is if he was truly dead (and everyone who witnessed it testified that Sayid was, in fact, dead-dead) what force resurrected him? I thought everyone was on board with it being an evil entity, right? Thus his allegiance to Flock. So, for me, it was a bit too tidy and quick to reverse all that with a simple heart to heart with Des. But, I do love that it validates the belief that good can prevail over evil and free will lies within even zombies! The execution of that premise (in Sayid's case) just seemed a bit too rushed, convenient, and tied with a big white bow for Lost's usual high standards. 

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 04:15:43 PM »
Everything about Sayid was different in this episode. It was as if he completely reverted back to himself again. Even his mannerisms and the way he spoke to the others sounded like "old" Sayid.  I thought I had imagined zombie Sayid. But yes, Desmond's comment about Isabella must have been what "woke" Sayid out of his zombie-state. Again the True Love theme comes to play. 

You mean about Nadia, no??

Okay, I get that talking to Des turned things around with Sayid.  So now the question is if he was truly dead (and everyone who witnessed it testified that Sayid was, in fact, dead-dead) what force resurrected him? I thought everyone was on board with it being an evil entity, right? Thus his allegiance to Flock. So, for me, it was a bit too tidy and quick to reverse all that with a simple heart to heart with Des. But, I do love that it validates the belief that good can prevail over evil and free will lies within even zombies! The execution of that premise (in Sayid's case) just seemed a bit too rushed, convenient, and tied with a big white bow for Lost's usual high standards. 

Keep in mind, we don't know the full extent of what was discussed between Sayid and Desmond. Maybe it wasn't just a simple heart to heart, but something more profound.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »
Sayid said he trusted Locke because he brought him back from the dead, so it looks like he did.

As for Sayid switching sides again, it's kind of like what Hurley told Sawyer. You can be brought back from the darkside, like Anakin.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 04:21:25 PM »
Who the hell's Anakin

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
Who the hell's Anakin