Author Topic: Desmond is the ONE  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Desmond is the ONE
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:23:32 AM »
I totally changed my mind last night after watching the episode. I originally thought it was going to be Jack taking Jacob's place, but now I think it is Desmond. I hear you yelling at me that he isn't a candidate-okay then why didn't MIB kill him himself? Why send Sayid to do it? He has no problem killing all these other people. Which brings me to Sayid. What a 180 he did, and it was his talk with Desmond that did that. And MIB always says-"you let him talk to you didn't you". So, Desmond has a similar power of making people(even like Sayid with no soul) see what they are doing is wrong.

THEN, Desmond has like super powers! He can live through a hatch blowing up and being in an electromagnetic field. He knows what is happening in both sideways and island. And he could see the future.

Which brings me to my last point-In the sideways I was thinking Des was acting all creepy, but if you think about it he is doing exactly what Jacob was doing when he came off island. He is putting people exactly where they need to be to find out the truth.

I think they are pushing us too hard to think it's Jack. I think it's going to be Desmond and that is what Widmore was saying -he would have to give up his life in the "real world" to stay on the island.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond is the ONE
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:27:06 AM »
That makes sense. Perhaps he has to stay on the island and keep pushing the button so the world doesn't end--again  :-\........ I do think the writers are making it seem like Jack is the one and so I doubt it will be him. When I saw Desmond getting everyone together last episode I did think it was a lot like Jacob. He does have a big role to play so that could very well be it.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »
I think Desmond would make the best replacement for Jacob.  But I'm having a hard time getting past Jack as the obvious choice, even though they might be putting it out there on purpose to throw us off.  Even the episode title 'The Candidate'.  Usually the titles have dual meanings, so in this one, Locke was a good 'candidate' for a new spinal procedure, but that can't be the whole reason for the title.  Sayid told Jack (just before he ceased to be Sayid) that Jack would be the one, or something to that effect.  And Desmond wasn't even in the episode.  To make Desmond Jacob's replacement at this point would be more than misleading, it would be an outright lie (and wasn't Hume crossed off the list?).

Too bad, though, I think he's the best choice!

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:34:53 AM »
I deffinitely got the feeling that Desmond going from person to person from the flight was a little Jacob like, but as much as you think they are pushing Jack down our throats as the new Jacob, I think they are kind of doing that with Desmond by giving him these "big Jacob" moments. But we shall see.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »
It could go either way. Heck, it could still even be Hurley!

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »
Perhaps Desomnd will be taking over the role of Eloise.  Not sure she needs to be replaced though.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »

Oh I hope not. I mean Hurley is cool and all, but how do they expect any of us to take him seriously as a leader?? Besides, he doesn't want to stay on the island, does he??

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »

Oh I hope not. I mean Hurley is cool and all, but how do they expect any of us to take him seriously as a leader?? Besides, he doesn't want to stay on the island, does he??
Thats true. I'm with you in thinking that it will be Jack but I'm just saying there are still a few possibilities out there.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »
Yeah I'm torn between these two possibilities. I kind of want it to be Jack with Desmond as Richard, but with Jack's current, "let others lead" mentality it is not out of the realm of possibility that it could be flipped.

Offline TvFantic

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »
I could be falling into the writers trap of what they want me to think, but I'm convinced it's Jack.  Since the first episode it's always been about Jack.  And Jack has always been in conflict with Locke on their beliefs.  So I think its only fitting that MIB would take over the body of Locke and still have the conflicts with Jack.  Even in the sideways it's Jack and Locke and Jack telling Locke he's a candidate.

So Sayid telling Jack he's the one after his conversation with Desmond it all makes sense to me.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »
I could be falling into the writers trap of what they want me to think, but I'm convinced it's Jack.  Since the first episode it's always been about Jack.  And Jack has always been in conflict with Locke on their beliefs.  So I think its only fitting that MIB would take over the body of Locke and still have the conflicts with Jack.  Even in the sideways it's Jack and Locke and Jack telling Locke he's a candidate.

So Sayid telling Jack he's the one after his conversation with Desmond it all makes sense to me.

True. That's why I am conflicted. Maybe Jack is the one to defeat MiB, but Des is the one who replaces Jacob.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
They wanted to kill off Jack in the Pilot episode, because it would have come out of left field. I think they will kill him off in the finale and blow all of our minds away. Richard will then take his new place as Jacob. Who knows how to do Jacobs job better?

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:05:10 PM »
They wanted to kill off Jack in the Pilot episode, because it would have come out of left field. I think they will kill him off in the finale and blow all of our minds away. Richard will then take his new place as Jacob. Who knows how to do Jacobs job better?

That is right--they were going to kill him in the pilot. Since the writers are constantly bringing things in from left field that is a plausible storyline. Also, as we know the island has a way of course correcting--if you were supposed to be killed then eventually you will be.  ;)

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 02:38:10 PM »
Perhaps Desmond is "the power behind the throne" so to speak. There is a good force and an evil force...why not a puppet master to keep everything in check?

I can see Jack taking the role of Jacob and Sawyer as the new Alpert. Whatever happened to Alpert anyway??

Perhaps the kid is actually young Desmond....  ;)

Offline cookieshoes

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »
I don't think it's gonna be Desmond. For the fact that he falls into that trio of people (Miles, Hurley, Desmond) who have special powers.  Miles can see how people died, Hurley can talk to them after they're dead, and Desmond is the "constant" (time-travelling experiences, immune to electromagnetism - whatever). Walt has a special power as well, so maybe that's an opening to see his return before the show's over.  IMO, the purpose of these characters has always been to help further the plot along, by bridging the gap between the normal reality in the flashbacks and such, and the supernatural stuff that the writers need us to know about. After all those secrets are explained, one-by-one, I think that the usefullness of the characters expires.

So, I see that trio (Miles-Desmond-Hurley) dying, Jack becomes the new Jacob, Locke stays as the new MIB, Kate and Sawyer become Adam and Eve in the cave, Juliet gets revealed as Jack's ex-wife in the sideways (so the producers can leave the show with a nice send-off to try and get people to watch V) and Ben and Richard do a "redemption" sacrifice play somehow in the finale to help Jack gain control of the island. If anyone gets off the island, maybe it's Claire, so she can finally be with Aaron again.