Author Topic: Smoke on the Water...  (Read 9072 times)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke on the Water...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
I wasn't really let down by Locke in the water, because I wasn't expecting Locke to do anything special once he was in there. We have seen MiB (in the form of Locke) in the water several times, so I wasn't too shocked. I just found it interesting that Sawyer says, "Just get him in the water, and I'll take care of the rest." And then Jack got Locke in the water, and Sawyer didn't do anything.

Exactly what I was thinking Sawyer just kind of...watched.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »
I wasn't really let down by Locke in the water, because I wasn't expecting Locke to do anything special once he was in there. We have seen MiB (in the form of Locke) in the water several times, so I wasn't too shocked. I just found it interesting that Sawyer says, "Just get him in the water, and I'll take care of the rest." And then Jack got Locke in the water, and Sawyer didn't do anything.

I know! while he was putzing away in the sub I was yelling at the TV, "hey, shouldn't you be up on the dock taking care of the rest??

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »
When Smoky killed the pilot it was raining very hard.
We saw him in smokefrom in the rain a lot of times I think.

Opie, we've got to stop agreeing like this, people will talk!   ;)

I saw it that Sawyer's part was to take over the sub and be ready to kick off as soon as Jack got MIB in the water.  I don't think being 'wet' is what keeps him from becoming Smokie (see Opie's comment above), I think he just needs to be on solid (island) ground.  It's been suggested that he is somehow 'tethered' to the island, so being in the water keeps him from changing somehow.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »

I saw it that Sawyer's part was to take over the sub and be ready to kick off as soon as Jack got MIB in the water.  I don't think being 'wet' is what keeps him from becoming Smokie (see Opie's comment above), I think he just needs to be on solid (island) ground.  It's been suggested that he is somehow 'tethered' to the island, so being in the water keeps him from changing somehow.

Yeah that could have een the "Rest" Sawyer was talking about. Kind of lopsided tasks.

SAWYER : I'll take care of the two slacking old dudes in the sub, you take care of the beast they call The Desolate One and knock him into the water. Do it quick though because he may turn into a pillar of black smoke and slam you into some solid mass until you are dead. He Might be a good guy though. We don't know yet.

JACK : Whatever you say.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »

Yeah that could have een the "Rest" Sawyer was talking about. Kind of lopsided tasks.

SAWYER : I'll take care of the two slacking old dudes in the sub, you take care of the beast they call The Desolate One and knock him into the water. Do it quick though because he may turn into a pillar of black smoke and slam you into some solid mass until you are dead. He Might be a good guy though. We don't know yet.

Could it be possible that Sawyer was in on Smokie's plan?  I know this makes absolutely NO sense, but...he WAS the one who pulled the wires that made the bomb go off.  He also told Jack to get Smokie in the water and he'd take care of everything else, then was not there to do so.

Ideas?  Or am I way off base?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
I don' think Sawyer would have resigned all of his friends to death. Espescially if it meant he may die too. There was no guarantee Sawyer would have lived through the blast.

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 02:14:20 PM »
Remember when Locke blew up the other sub? The one Jack and Juliet were going to use to go home (season 3 I think).

After Locke blew up that sub he was on the doc wet and we never understood why. In fact I looked on lostpedia and here is one of the unanswered questions form the episode.

--Why was Locke wet after returning from placing the C-4 aboard the submarine?

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sub

Now I have not idea how this relates to what happened with this sub -- but it has to relate somehow? No?

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »

Could it be possible that Sawyer was in on Smokie's plan?  I know this makes absolutely NO sense, but...he WAS the one who pulled the wires that made the bomb go off.  He also told Jack to get Smokie in the water and he'd take care of everything else, then was not there to do so.

Ideas?  Or am I way off base?

I don't think Sawyer is in it with MIB, I just believe he is inept.  All this would point to Jack being the better candidate.  He sees the game, knows the rules and is willing so sacrifice (stay on the island) where Sawyer is lacking in all those traits.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »
Remember when Locke blew up the other sub? The one Jack and Juliet were going to use to go home (season 3 I think).

After Locke blew up that sub he was on the doc wet and we never understood why. In fact I looked on lostpedia and here is one of the unanswered questions form the episode.

--Why was Locke wet after returning from placing the C-4 aboard the submarine?

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sub

Now I have not idea how this relates to what happened with this sub -- but it has to relate somehow? No?

I don't see why this is a mystery. When you rewatch that scene, you can see that the sub has drifted away from the dock, and Locke had to swim back to shore.

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »
I don't think being 'wet' is what keeps him from becoming Smokie (see Opie's comment above), I think he just needs to be on solid (island) ground.  It's been suggested that he is somehow 'tethered' to the island, so being in the water keeps him from changing somehow.

That makes sense to me.
Cus really, with all his powers, shouldn't the MIB just be able to turn into Smokey and just zoom off over the ocean to escape the island?

There has to be something about the ocean water or the tether mentioned above that prevents that.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »
I just think Sawyer was in the sub when Jack shoved Smoke into the water and so didn't know Smokey was wet.  I think Sawyer knew Smokey couldn't go into the water since, well, I mean, couldn't a guy that powerful just swim to Hydra island?  Why would he need a boat?

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »
I also expected a bit more from this .. maybe something like seeing Flocke morphing back and forth between Smokey and Flocke

and thanks for the title to this.. now i can't get the stupid song out of my head  :P

no worries, me too...

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 03:17:37 PM »
Maybe MIB can't be Smokey when he's under water.

Ben had to unplug the drain underneath his house in order to "release" him.

This season, Ben suggested they head to the beach as some sort of protection against him.

We've seen him be Smokey in the rain (when scanning Juliet and Kate in the jungle; and when killing the pilot as Smokezilla), but he was technically still over land.

Mabye that's why the entire Island's being under water will turn out to be some kind of ultimate defeat of MIB because he can never become Smokey again?

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 03:51:54 PM »

This season, Ben suggested they head to the beach as some sort of protection against him.

We've seen him be Smokey in the rain (when scanning Juliet and Kate in the jungle; and when killing the pilot as Smokezilla), but he was technically still over land.

Mabye that's why the entire Island's being under water will turn out to be some kind of ultimate defeat of MIB because he can never become Smokey again?

Yes! A thousand times yes!

Offline cookieshoes

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »

This is one of those questions in the series which I'm beginning to doubt that the producers will end up explaining.

Why on earth would Ben have EVER wanted to release the MIB/Smokey?  Even when it was to save himself and defeat Widmore's people. It still makes no sense whatsoever.
Because, if the Others/Dharma had the ability to control or summon the MIB by using that drain, then doesn't that mean that they had been deliberately releasing him every time he showed up in the first few seasons and started killing people? 

Which makes it further strange that the Dharma camp would've needed the Pylons in the first place, if they already had MIB/Smokey contained under water using that drain.