Author Topic: Death count tonight  (Read 8571 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Death count tonight
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
I have a problem calling any of the characters "pointless" or "useless". It's like in baseball, if the ball isn't hit into left field, does that mean the left fielder is useless? No. Sometimes characters are just there to support other characters. Not everyone can be the protagonist.

Yes, that is exactly what it means. His skill and talent were not used, so therefore, he was without use, or "Usless" as the kids say.

First, there is a difference between "unused" and "useless". I think you are getting into a very slippery slope in saying which characters have been pointless. Is Vincent pointless? Is Seth Norris pointless? Is Goodwin pointless? Is Eko pointless? I think it's awfully hard to draw a definitive line, so I choose not to draw a line at all. If you were in the show, you had a role, no matter how minor. It's like saying a particular brush stroke in Da Vinci's Starry Night is pointless. Each brush stroke is a part of the masterpiece.

Second, I actually totally agree with you that Frank is not only merely dead, but really most sincerely dead. There is no way he is going to pull a Mikhail and pop out of nowhere to save the day. However, it is curious then that they would have the plane land safely last season, and then not use it this whole time.
Are you trying to say that he's not just mostly dead?  Because if he's only mostly dead, Miracle Max is our man to bring him back.

And there you have it.  Billy Crystal is going to be the big surprise mystery guest star, because the MIB is really Miracle Max.   :)

Then perhaps Jacob's last name is Humperdink. So, Carol Kane will jump in, "Ever since Jacob Humperdink took his body, his confidence has been shatterd."
MIB: "Why'd you say that name? You promised me you would never say that name!"
Carol: "What, Humperdinck?"
MIB: "Aahaahh!"
Carol: "Humperdinck! Humperdinck! Humperdinck!"
MIB: "I'm not listening!"

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
I have a problem calling any of the characters "pointless" or "useless". It's like in baseball, if the ball isn't hit into left field, does that mean the left fielder is useless? No. Sometimes characters are just there to support other characters. Not everyone can be the protagonist.

Yes, that is exactly what it means. His skill and talent were not used, so therefore, he was without use, or "Usless" as the kids say.

First, there is a difference between "unused" and "useless". I think you are getting into a very slippery slope in saying which characters have been pointless. Is Vincent pointless? Is Seth Norris pointless? Is Goodwin pointless? Is Eko pointless? I think it's awfully hard to draw a definitive line, so I choose not to draw a line at all. If you were in the show, you had a role, no matter how minor. It's like saying a particular brush stroke in Da Vinci's Starry Night is pointless. Each brush stroke is a part of the masterpiece.

Second, I actually totally agree with you that Frank is not only merely dead, but really most sincerely dead. There is no way he is going to pull a Mikhail and pop out of nowhere to save the day. However, it is curious then that they would have the plane land safely last season, and then not use it this whole time.
Are you trying to say that he's not just mostly dead?  Because if he's only mostly dead, Miracle Max is our man to bring him back.

And there you have it.  Billy Crystal is going to be the big surprise mystery guest star, because the MIB is really Miracle Max.   :)

Then perhaps Jacob's last name is Humperdink. So, Carol Kane will jump in, "Ever since Jacob Humperdink took his body, his confidence has been shatterd."
horse nays...

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3VxOqHI-4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tAKLTktY0
 :D :D :D
classic!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:43:12 PM by Numbers Junkie »

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2010, 02:47:58 AM »
Awesome!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »

Inconceivable.   ;)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »

Really?? We're comparing LOST to Da Vinci now?? You want to talk about a slippery slope?? LOL Look I love the show as much as the next guy, but really?? Da Vinci??

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2010, 08:54:47 PM »

Really?? We're comparing LOST to Da Vinci now?? You want to talk about a slippery slope?? LOL Look I love the show as much as the next guy, but really?? Da Vinci??
It is comparable to Tarantino or the makers of The Watchmen...it's the new way of telling a story...it's not about the characters or the main plot...it's the journey, the rollercoaster ride...Alfred Hitchcock also did this...it's about getting on, having a great frightful, scary, emotional ride, then getting off satisfied....it's the journey...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2010, 09:34:14 PM »
They added Miles and Lapidus as these two important characters and all they have done is basically walked around the island. Why give both Miles and Hurley nearly the same talent. Just let Hurley be able to talk to the dead people. Both Miles and Lapidus have had some great lines and funny moments. No doubt about that. But to the over all importance of the story line they have been pretty useless. Just kind of clogged the land scape. I get the feeling that the producers had a purpose for both of them but then it got lost in telling the story

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »
I still say Lapidus isn't dead yet.  "Entertainment Weekly" this week talks about the three deaths in this episode, and discusses Sayid, Sun, and Jin, but they don't mention Lapidus at all.  Now maybe this is because they consider him to be a minor character, but they didn't say "three major deaths" they just said "three deaths."  So I'm still clinging to my conclusion, illogical though it may be.   ;)  I think Frank's got one more major thing to do before he can die -- he's gonna wash up ashore somewhere. 

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
I still say Lapidus isn't dead yet.  "Entertainment Weekly" this week talks about the three deaths in this episode, and discusses Sayid, Sun, and Jin, but they don't mention Lapidus at all.  Now maybe this is because they consider him to be a minor character, but they didn't say "three major deaths" they just said "three deaths."  So I'm still clinging to my conclusion, illogical though it may be.   ;)  I think Frank's got one more major thing to do before he can die -- he's gonna wash up ashore somewhere. 

I'm wracking my brains trying to remember who told me it was four deaths. I think it was my co-worker and she read it somewhere. Lostpeidia? Some spoiler site?  But she had told me before last weeks ep, that four were going to die that night. So that's why I assumed it was Lapidus.  But I thought the same thing about him, that it didn't look like he got that wracked up but somehow recovered and will wash ashore and pop up at a more crucial time. Like Han Solo at the Death Star!  ;D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 03:55:06 PM »

I was using an extreme example to express my point. So if that offends you, fine, take any good painting by any painter, or any good piece of music by any musician, and use the same arguement. Can you say any brush stroke is pointless, or any note is pointless? They are pieces of the whole.

However, I do believe that Lost is as much of a masterpiece as has ever been on TV...and I've watched alot of TV in my day. So, it may not have the longevity of DaVinci over time...then again, it may. TV is a relatively young artform.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »

I'm wracking my brains trying to remember who told me it was four deaths. I think it was my co-worker and she read it somewhere. Lostpeidia? Some spoiler site?  But she had told me before last weeks ep, that four were going to die that night. So that's why I assumed it was Lapidus.  But I thought the same thing about him, that it didn't look like he got that wracked up but somehow recovered and will wash ashore and pop up at a more crucial time. Like Han Solo at the Death Star!  ;D

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but the Darlton said on the Lost Podcast that Frank would be talked about by the survivors. It was asked of them if that since only Jin and Sun were asked about on the beach, that maybe that meant Frank had escaped. Darlton seemed to indicated they wanted the mood to focus on just Jin and Sun, but the next episode would address Frank too. It may mean it's ambiguous if he got out, or it may mean they say he is dead. I just have a real hard time believing Frank survived the door, let alone the sinking sub.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2010, 04:30:55 PM »

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but the Darlton said on the Lost Podcast that Frank would be talked about by the survivors. It was asked of them if that since only Jin and Sun were asked about on the beach, that maybe that meant Frank had escaped. Darlton seemed to indicated they wanted the mood to focus on just Jin and Sun, but the next episode would address Frank too. It may mean it's ambiguous if he got out, or it may mean they say he is dead. I just have a real hard time believing Frank survived the door, let alone the sinking sub.

I have a hard time believing he survived too, but as a flounderring writer I find that removing the only viable option for an escape from the Island doesn't make too much sense in the scheme of things. I am in agreement with Madam P. Lapidus will wash ashore akin to Jin from the freighter.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2010, 05:03:28 PM »
Yeah, we all pretty much said Jin was toast after the freighter blew up -- no way to survive that explosion, plus it was out beyond "the circle" when the island moved so he'd be sure to drown, yadda, yadda, yadda.  But yet, there he was.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2010, 05:11:54 PM »
I have to say that if Frank is alive, then the writers are not playing fair with the audience.  I mean, its one thing to leave some ambiguity.  Its another thing to show him sustaining an injury that by all rights should be considered fatal (especially in those circumstances).  I just don't think its cool if they are trying to intentionally trick the audience.  What's next?  Nikki and Paolo bust out of their coffins Kill Bill / Bride style and start walking around again?

In any case, of course they haven't been leading the story there, but... why couldn't people use the FDW to escape?  Why do they need a submarine, airplane or boat?