Author Topic: Death count tonight  (Read 9326 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Death count tonight
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 12:49:39 AM »
So we have Sun, Jin, Sayid and Lapidus all dead correct.
Why did they ever have lapidus on this show. he had some good lines but he served no purpose at all.

Well, he might have served no purpose, but I mean you could say that about so many other people as well. Libby, Anna Lucia, Rose, Bernard, etc. Hell, even one of the key character on the show (and your favorite), Kate serves no real purpose. After last night's episode, we were basically told that she serves no purpose from now on. I don't think this is something we need to concern ourselves with. Television is filled with unnecessary characters.

Eye candy serves a purpose.

She was an original cast member. Have not understood why they added lapidus and miles. Just crowded the show so far. 

Oh, I agree, about Miles and Frank anyway. Not about Kate, but we both know where we each stand on that side of the fence, so no need to rehash. I was just pointing out that there are a lot of useless characters, so you can't really nit pick Lapidus.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 01:20:18 AM »
I wouldn't call Lapidus and Miles "useless".  I think a lot of shows use "outsiders" to help talk directly to viewers.  It would be odd for the people who've been on the show forever to ask certain questions, but a newbie has more free reign.  For example, one of my favorite Lost scenes is the whole Hurley / Miles conversation about time travel.  Not sure Hurley could have really had that same conversation with anyone else with the same effect.  Just my two cents.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »
I wouldn't call Lapidus and Miles "useless".  I think a lot of shows use "outsiders" to help talk directly to viewers.  It would be odd for the people who've been on the show forever to ask certain questions, but a newbie has more free reign.  For example, one of my favorite Lost scenes is the whole Hurley / Miles conversation about time travel.  Not sure Hurley could have really had that same conversation with anyone else with the same effect.  Just my two cents.

I hadn't thought about that, and I guess you're right, but I was saying useless in regards to moving the story along and having some affect on the island for the people, not the viewer.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
I think they could have used Miles way more. Like at the end of season 4 when him, Calire, and Sawyer are making their way back to beach he has that line asking Claire if she's "sure she's ok". And when he kinda looked like he knew something was up with Sayid. They probably could have used his character to move those parts of the story along more. Plus, he's awesome; so they should have used him more just because of that. Out of all the freighter people Faraday was the only real important one.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »
So we have Sun, Jin, Sayid and Lapidus all dead correct.
Why did they ever have lapidus on this show. he had some good lines but he served no purpose at all.
Don't forget Claire! She's with MIB and she must be mad- they left her behind yet again!!!!

Maybe as a kind of red herring to make us believe that he was there to get them off the island on the plane?
Or...he's not really dead yet?  And he will get them off on the plane?  The plane isn't blown up (yet), and they did not show Lapidus dead.

Lapidus may not be dead.

Better Q may be who is alive?

Jack
Hugo
Saywer
Kate -all 4 together
Desmond - in the well
Miles
Ben
Richard - All 3 together
Cindy, the Kids and the others - but who cares?
Widmore and Zoe
and of course, MIB

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »
I think they could have used Miles way more. Like at the end of season 4 when him, Calire, and Sawyer are making their way back to beach he has that line asking Claire if she's "sure she's ok". And when he kinda looked like he knew something was up with Sayid. They probably could have used his character to move those parts of the story along more. Plus, he's awesome; so they should have used him more just because of that. Out of all the freighter people Faraday was the only real important one.

I can't believe they had a guy on the island who could tell the final moments of people who died there and the only thing they used him for was the one line from Juliet and to dig up Nikki's diamonds!  Maybe there were others, but I thought they were going to make the most out of his special ability when they first introduced him.  I was picturing a scene in the cave where he'd pass the skeletons of Adam and Eve and suddenly turn to a couple of the other characters and say, "Whoa, dude, that's you guys!".  Could've been a cool tool to use more.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »

I can't believe they had a guy on the island who could tell the final moments of people who died there and the only thing they used him for was the one line from Juliet and to dig up Nikki's diamonds!  Maybe there were others, but I thought they were going to make the most out of his special ability when they first introduced him.  I was picturing a scene in the cave where he'd pass the skeletons of Adam and Eve and suddenly turn to a couple of the other characters and say, "Whoa, dude, that's you guys!".  Could've been a cool tool to use more.
My point exactly. He and Hurley could have teamed up with their talking to dead people abilities and done or revealed something cool. But alas, they did not. Well, he's not dead yet so maybe he will do something cool in the next 2 episodes (that he may or may not be in).

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 01:35:21 PM »
I have enjoyed the Miles and Lapidus characters. Since they had killed off or lost so many main characters it was nice to see a couple of interesting characters.
I may be wrong but did not Miles walk along and identify where Danielle and Karl were buried?  I agree that his services could have been used  more effectively
but he and  LaFleur were good together.  I hope Lapidus came to and swam out
. even if he arrivs at a different spot. I have enjoyed his character, limited as it has been at times.
I was hoping they would all leave ,again with Penny showing up again looking for Desmond.  I know it is  too much of a happy ending but we know Widmore would protect her under any circumstance. I do not know why people are so angry with Kate. I have enjoyed her character since she was very capable and instrumental in tracking and such. She was not a flake like Shannon and basically pretty inept like Claire.  I liked Danielle for her coping skills as well. The only characters I did
not mind them losing were Nikki and Paulo and Charlie...Shannon as well.  I really missed Eko and Libby and Alex as well. Perhaps Flocke will kill them all and it will be a moot point.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
I have a problem calling any of the characters "pointless" or "useless". It's like in baseball, if the ball isn't hit into left field, does that mean the left fielder is useless? No. Sometimes characters are just there to support other characters. Not everyone can be the protagonist.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 12:43:55 AM »
Yeah I think Miles still may have a part to play.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 04:05:55 AM »
I have a problem calling any of the characters "pointless" or "useless". It's like in baseball, if the ball isn't hit into left field, does that mean the left fielder is useless? No. Sometimes characters are just there to support other characters. Not everyone can be the protagonist.
Well said, Casey!

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 10:25:36 AM »
Yeah I think Miles still may have a part to play.

Well, he's still alive, right?  Then again, Lapidus was still alive right up until he wasn't! 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 10:26:13 AM »

Yes, that is exactly what it means. His skill and talent were not used, so therefore, he was without use, or "Usless" as the kids say.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »
Why are you guys so sure Lapidus is dead?

It never even occurred to me that he was dead until I just now read this thread...  I don't think he's dead yet.  I think he's going to wash up somewhere still.  They would've showed us his dead body if he was dead... like they showed Jin's and Sun's hands floating apart.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
Yeah The otehrs that escaped the sub had Oxygen helpers for their trek from the depths. Frank would have had a LONG time of holding his breath.