Author Topic: View on Jack  (Read 2829 times)

Offline LockedInLost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
View on Jack
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »
Is Jack the most likeable and respected as he's ever been in the entire series?  It seems like all of that struggle for him and the fans with his frustrating character is ending up worth it.

Offline musicotb

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: View on Jack
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:32:28 PM »
He's amazing this season, and Matthew Fox is rocking it!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:12:35 AM »
I agree but he needed to do a better job convincing Sawyer.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:33:16 AM »
Yeah if only Sawyer would have kept his hands off the wires.

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:25:18 AM »
Jack is the new Locke and Sawyer is the new Jack.
The old Jack would have yanked the wires just like Sawyer did. Jack would have never believed Locke that they'd be ok, just have faith.

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:34:40 AM »
The old Jack would have yanked the wires just like Sawyer did. Jack would have never believed Locke that they'd be ok, just have faith.

totally agreed ..still don't like jack 

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:27:49 AM »
Jack was great this season, while Sawyer was obnoxious, quite the opposite of last season. And I'm not talking about the actors, but the way they have written the characters.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »
I have never been a big fan of Jack but I am not so annoyed at him this season.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »

Great observation.

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »
Yeah if only Sawyer would have kept his hands off the wires.

Yes, but now Sawyer will know how Jack felt when Juliette died.
And maybe there will be a peace between them again.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 06:14:43 PM »
I've never been a Jack hater, although I think I probably should be. His whining and acting never bothered me. At the same time, Jack as been especially cool this season and I'm pretty excited to see how he closes this thing out.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »
Well, when it seemed that this was about Man of Science vs Man of Faith, I was certianly hoping that Science would win out.  But then they copped out of that completely by having it be about demigods who kind of have supernatural powers over ordinary humans but also aren't omnipotent creator gods who control everything.

So Locke was sort of right in believing things were happening "for a reason", but he was never even close to understanding what the real reasons were that those things kept happening to him.  Jack ultimately gave in to the "reality" that some superhuman being had had his eye on him from Day One.  So his "faith" has sort of been proven to him -- which doesn't really make it "faith" in the absolute sense anymore.

I guess he is a Man of Faith in the sense that it still hasn't been explained to him concretely what anything is really about and he is going on what "feels right" for him to do.  Can't say that I'm crazy about that resolution since he's being "played" by Jacob every bit as much as Locke was played by MIB, if you think about it.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
I think the show is better having the metaphysical elements in the show. I would have been pretty pissed if the Island turned out to just be a spaceship.

As for the whole "faith" thing. It's kinda of a wide net and you really bring up alot of the different aspects as to what faith is. Faith has alot of varying degrees. For example, even if you arn't a religious person, you still have faith. Everytime you drive through a green light, you are using your faith that somebody else won't be driving through a red light.

So, I believe that Jack is now much more a man of faith, but not in a way where he is going to build a shrine to Jacob and create a Jacobism religion. It's more in that he wil go with his instinct, in his belief that he has a destiny to be fullfilled. For example when he was trying to tell Sawyer not to touch the bomb. He was going on his faith that for whatever reason he can't understand, MIB can't kill them directly.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »
But his faith also killed Juliet.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
Or was it Sawyer's selfishness that kept Juliet on the Island to be killed in the first place?