Author Topic: And we have closure on THAT topic...  (Read 8798 times)

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: And we have closure on THAT topic...
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2010, 03:11:41 PM »
I love how this topic, that states we have closure on a subject, is now like 5 pages long!   :D
Some people still haven't abandoned the "MIB is just misunderstood" camp yet. Yeah... he's about as misunderstood as Kim Jong Il.

"MIB is so ronery, so ronrey, so ronrey and sadry arone."
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Griz)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) my favorite Canadian!  you are so bloody right.  hey buddy heading across the sea on Monday and will have a few pints for you pal! 
Cheers Lilian!  ;D Have a great trip!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »

We have yet to be told what exactly the Sideline is. I used to think it was what would happen if the island sunk in 1977 and the losties never got influenced from Jacob or Dharma, but after watching weeks of alternate lives that are too skewed to blame on no island I have to say the sideline is somthing different. Some have suggested that it is a parting gift for playing Lost and dying? I just can't wait for the explaination of what it is we have been watching.

I am 99.9% sure that we were told via a pop-up in one of the re-run episodes that the Sideline is What Would've Happened If Oceanic 815 Had Never Crashed.  But, frankly, that still doesn't tell me much (but then again, I can sometimes not see the forest for the trees.)  Also, I have no idea who writes the pop-ups and/or if that person knows beans about "Lost" -- it could be a drunken monkey for all I know.

You know that linkie on Page One of this thread -- the Slashfilm one?  I want a close-up of that board behind Cuse and Lindelof.   :D

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »

We have yet to be told what exactly the Sideline is. I used to think it was what would happen if the island sunk in 1977 and the losties never got influenced from Jacob or Dharma, but after watching weeks of alternate lives that are too skewed to blame on no island I have to say the sideline is somthing different. Some have suggested that it is a parting gift for playing Lost and dying? I just can't wait for the explaination of what it is we have been watching.

I am 99.9% sure that we were told via a pop-up in one of the re-run episodes that the Sideline is What Would've Happened If Oceanic 815 Had Never Crashed.  But, frankly, that still doesn't tell me much (but then again, I can sometimes not see the forest for the trees.)  Also, I have no idea who writes the pop-ups and/or if that person knows beans about "Lost" -- it could be a drunken monkey for all I know.

You know that linkie on Page One of this thread -- the Slashfilm one?  I want a close-up of that board behind Cuse and Lindelof.   :D

Well Madam P thanks for admiting that  ;)  okay it has been written on here and I know I had posted something that TPTB do not write the pop ups they hired someone to do that.  So if the are not "cannon" I can only thingk that they are not going to put false information on there.  And I am the drunken Monkey who writes them.  But seriously i think they help clarification and sharing things we the fans think about and just asnwer stuff.   So anyway

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
I love how this topic, that states we have closure on a subject, is now like 5 pages long!   :D
Some people still haven't abandoned the "MIB is just misunderstood" camp yet. Yeah... he's about as misunderstood as Kim Jong Il.

"MIB is so ronery, so ronrey, so ronrey and sadry arone."
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Griz)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) my favorite Canadian!  you are so bloody right.  hey buddy heading across the sea on Monday and will have a few pints for you pal! 
Cheers Lilian!  ;D Have a great trip!
Who is Lilisan!  roflmao   i will Griz and I promise to take a pic of several beers for you...oh and I have a beer story from Germany for you and will pop in your thread to share before I I am over the sea

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2010, 08:41:41 PM »

Well Madam P thanks for admiting that  ;)  okay it has been written on here and I know I had posted something that TPTB do not write the pop ups they hired someone to do that.  So if the are not "cannon" I can only thingk that they are not going to put false information on there.  And I am the drunken Monkey who writes them.  But seriously i think they help clarification and sharing things we the fans think about and just asnwer stuff.   So anyway

I'm the one that always complains about the pop ups.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2010, 08:46:42 PM »
But Bob you complain about life so that is nothing new ;) :-*
Hey some pop ups are good dude ::)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
Actually, I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the pop-ups have said things like "They may be showing..." or "it is believed..." about the sideflashes. They have left that little bit of ambiguity in there. It feels like they have purposefully left some wiggle room. Ever since the LA X, I've been keeping open a theory that the sidelfashes are not from a split at the Incident, but really something else altogther that will be shown to us in the finale.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »
Actually, I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the pop-ups have said things like "They may be showing..." or "it is believed..." about the sideflashes. They have left that little bit of ambiguity in there. It feels like they have purposefully left some wiggle room. Ever since the LA X, I've been keeping open a theory that the sidelfashes are not from a split at the Incident, but really something else altogther that will be shown to us in the finale.

good point and like you see in the end, can you believe we are now saying in the end

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2010, 09:48:14 PM »
Are there transcripts of the pop-ups anywhere?

(God, I can't believe I just asked that.  Am I really looking for that?  Sheesh...)

I would swear they said it was what would've happened, not that it might be what would've happened... because I remember that I thought at the time "Really?  So you're just telling us that straight up?  'Cause that's kinda big news..."

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2010, 09:55:15 PM »

(God, I can't believe I just asked that.  Am I really looking for that?  Sheesh...)

I would swear they said it was what would've happened, not that it might be what would've happened... because I remember that I thought at the time "Really?  So you're just telling us that straight up?  'Cause that's kinda big news..."

Ummmm yes I believe so.... well I just went to hulu and had a streaming of all shows running from current back to the start of the season so yes Madam you can go on line and watch the shows and the pop ups, they validated a signifcant amount of my posting. ;D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2010, 11:51:24 PM »
Well, here, let me take 2 quick examples from the pop ups to show how they are unreliable as canon.

From LA X:
"If they can change the future / Oceanic Flight 815 will land in Los Angeles / instead of crashing on the island."
Note the use of the word "if". The very nature of it being there makes the statement a hypothetical.

"This is not a flashback / or a flash-forward. / This is a flash "sideways." / It presents what would have happened / if Oceanic 815 never crashed."
We know now that the sideflashes are showing us MUCH more than just what would've happened if 815 didn't crash. The lives of all the characters are different from a point far before flight 815, for example Desmond.

Basically, I wouldn't rely on the pop ups to do anything more than give you an "oh yeah, I forgot about that" moment.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2010, 01:02:05 AM »

It did say...what would have happened...

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2010, 07:02:25 AM »
Well, here, let me take 2 quick examples from the pop ups to show how they are unreliable as canon.

From LA X:
"If they can change the future / Oceanic Flight 815 will land in Los Angeles / instead of crashing on the island."
Note the use of the word "if". The very nature of it being there makes the statement a hypothetical.

"This is not a flashback / or a flash-forward. / This is a flash "sideways." / It presents what would have happened / if Oceanic 815 never crashed."
We know now that the sideflashes are showing us MUCH more than just what would've happened if 815 didn't crash. The lives of all the characters are different from a point far before flight 815, for example Desmond.

Basically, I wouldn't rely on the pop ups to do anything more than give you an "oh yeah, I forgot about that" moment.

Thanks for finding that, CaseyMac!  That's what I was remembering.