Author Topic: Game mentioned in the last seconds  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Folly529

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Game mentioned in the last seconds
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:05:06 PM »
Was it Go?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Game mentioned in the last seconds
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:21:53 PM »
Really makes you think of Jacob and Mib...now I think it's going to be Jack and MiB.....it seems kinda obvious...I'm sure they could fool us...but it reall is leaning that way...they were the man of faith and man of science....now they will end up that way...

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »
the scene with Locke? That was from S1, he was explaining Backgammon to Walt. But it looked like MIB and Jacob were also playing something, like they were rolling sticks or stick shaped pieces? That I know nothing about.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:38:52 PM »
Oh! I just backed up my DVR to watch V with my DH and I did see a flash of a game board that did look like a checker board, or yes, a Go board. But I stand by the scene with Locke being about Backgammon, fwiw

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:42:36 PM »
yep, he was holding up the light and dark pieces when he was explaining the game to walt.
what's 'go'?

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:44:26 PM »
I love how they showed John Locke with the blacked out eyes from Claire's dream.  They new back then that Locke would become smokey and become evil.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:50:23 PM »
yep, he was holding up the light and dark pieces when he was explaining the game to walt.
what's 'go'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_game

Offline anavrin

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »
what's 'go'?

So... does Walt have something to do with the resolution?  Taxing my memory here, but wasn't he one of the first ones on the island who seemed to have some sort of gift?  Wasn't he the first one taken by the Others?  And isn't he the only one who has left the island and returned, truly, to regular life?

He's not on the candidate list, though, but what does that mean?  Oh, what does it all meeeeeean???

Offline PMMJ

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:55:02 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, everything we saw in the 'scenes from next week' was in fact from previous episodes...

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, everything we saw in the 'scenes from next week' was in fact from previous episodes...

I am pretty sure that you are correct on this assumption.  I will not know for sure until I can rewatch.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 03:00:53 AM »
No.

We have never before seen Jacob and MIB sitting in front of a well playing whatever game that was. 

(It definitely wasn't backgammon.)  They were casting the sticks.  Couldn't tell if there were two sets of sticks, white and black, or if they were both casting the same set of sticks.

Backgammon starts with the pieces in a fixed arrangement and then the object is to remove all of your stones from the board before your opponent can remove theirs.

Go starts with a blank board and you alternately place white and black stones (usually in a chain) so as to surround your opponent's stones (in an "island") and capture them, or to control and protect more area of the overall board than your opponent.

Not sure they were playing either one of those games specifically.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 03:04:06 AM »
Darlton announced today that there will be no more new promos for the rest of the series, to maintain secrecy.  I didn't even bother waiting for the "next week on Lost" section since I'd already heard this. 

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 02:40:44 AM »
After watching "Across The Sea", it's clear that the game Jacob and his brother were playing is SENET.

An ancient Egyptian game (whose original rules were lost in antiquity), but apparently it became a game that had religious overtones that had to do with guiding your soul through the underworld for ultimate salvation.

See these two references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senet

http://www.gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/Archives/Piccione/index.html

Some interesting passages:

"The Egyptians believed that in death they would join the sun god on his bark as it set in the western horizon at dusk. The deceased and the sun god would then journey together through the subterranean regions of the underworld. Here dwelt a host of divinities and the souls of deceased people who were judged for their sins and consequently rewarded or punished. The reward would be food, drink and eternal life with Ra, the sun god; the punishment, torture and eventual annihilation."

"Square 27 depicted the "Waters of Chaos" over which the netherworld bark floated as it rose into heaven at dawn. Sinners, denied a place in the bark, were drowned in these waters; thus, as the words of one gaming text aptly showed, square 27 was the ultimate senet pitfall: "I seize his gamepieces so that he might drown together with his gamepieces. I throw him into the water." Draughtsmen who landed on it had to be removed from the board. "