Author Topic: First There Was The Monster  (Read 2948 times)

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
First There Was The Monster
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »
When we were first introduced to "The Monster", we had no idea what "It" looked like.  There would be sounds and then someone would disappear.  Our beloved characters were frightened out of their minds.  We feared "It".

Then we saw "It".  The Smoke Monster, later lovingly coined Smokey.  Smokey still frightened some of us.  Smokey mangled people, some of our most beloved characters no less (Adebisi, I mean Mr. Ecko anyone?).

We were told the sonic fences were used to keep Smokey out.  We were told at one point Smokey was the Island's protector.

Then we saw Ben summon Smokey.  We knew that meant bad news for Keamy & Co.

Smokey represented all things that should be feared, maybe even all things bad?

So now, Smokey is all dressed up in Locke's body, (Wolf in sheep's clothing?!) and people are questioning whether or not The Smoke Monster is good?! 

I don't get it...  Help me understand.

P.S....This is NOT about whether or not Jacob is good, we're talking Smoke Monster only.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: First There Was The Monster
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:24:35 PM »
Soneone here once gave an analogy, I'll see if I can find it,

Basically Good/Evil like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder,

You may not think it evil to step on a spider or an ant, even if it bites you or fills your lawn with anthills, whatever your justification.
Someone else on the other hand may consider you evil for doing just that no matter the reason.

the reason given before was:
If someone told you that one of two things would definately happen depending on a choice you were to make.

A)  three million people will die instantly if you do not kill your neighbors kid by 3 pm.

You may not like the nieghbors kid so it wont matter to you if he dies and since three million people are at stake would it be evil or heroic for you to kill him if it meant saving those 3 million people?

B)  three million people will die instanty if you do not kill your child by 3 pm

Now obviously your child means alot more to you than any of those 3 million people.  So if you decide not to kill your son, you have effectivly sentenced 3 million others to die,
would you say if you do not kill him you are evil since you let 3 million die? yet killing your sone is pretty evil too.

Its not written here quite as well here as the original poster but I think you get the idea.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:31:40 PM »

You may not think it evil to step on a spider or an ant, even if it bites you or fills your lawn with anthills, whatever your justification.
Someone else on the other hand may consider you evil for doing just that no matter the reason.

If someone told you that one of two things would definately happen depending on a choice you were to make.

A)  three million people will die instantly if you do not kill your neighbors kid by 3 pm.

You may not like the nieghbors kid so it wont matter to you if he dies and since three million people are at stake would it be evil or heroic for you to kill him if it meant saving those 3 million people?

B)  three million people will die instanty if you do not kill your child by 3 pm

Now obviously your child means alot more to you than any of those 3 million people.  So if you decide not to kill your son, you have effectivly sentenced 3 million others to die,
would you say if you do not kill him you are evil since you let 3 million die? yet killing your sone is pretty evil too.

Its not written here quite as well here as the original poster but I think you get the idea.

LOVE this analogy. Although maybe not written AS well, still very good job there.

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 03:58:42 PM »

To get a little biblical here.     Abraham was told to sacrifice his son Isaac.    Some people say "what a horrible thing for God to ask him to do"....    For all intents and purposes, Isaac was as good as dead, right up to the point where Abraham was stopped and given a Ram to take the place of his son.     Some might argue that God was being Evil.    What they don't think about is Abraham's faith.    He believed that the God that created the world from nothing, could bring his son back to him.    Abraham is known as the man of faith for the Christian, the Muslim and the Jew.   And for those that believe in God, Abraham was right.   Even if he had sacrificed his Son, God could have fixed it.

Now to apply this to Lost.  Jacob has said he can't offer absolution, he's not God.    Since it's a gray area with who is good and who is bad, the question is "Who can deliver on their promises?".   Who is really working for the force for good, what ever it is for the story.    If Smokey could get off the Island and restore order to the timeline and bring some kind of balance to the universe...then maybe he's the good guy.   If Jacob sees a bigger plan where all of our Losties are really dead anyway and by following his plan, they can all live happily ever after by moving on from this Island limbo then maybe he's the good guy.     I tend to lean toward Jacob, cause the smoke monster is just a killer and proven liar, but who knows.    For all we know, everyone on the island is dead.   Maybe when they "escaped" from the island...they were really just in some other reality that wasn't any more real than the sideways flash we're seeing now - maybe that's why Christian could show up there, but says he can't leave.    Maybe that's why they had to go back to the island.   They have to fix things and move on.   Maybe when smokie is dead, all the voices can move on along with our heroes...leaving someone behind to protect the Island gateway to the Lost after life.    Who knows....but just like in a war...it's the winner that writes the history.    I think until then, we won't be able to say for sure who was right.   Hopefully at the end, it will be clear when the big picture is revealed.   That's what makes it a good story.

Offline shadow

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »
In chess, the opinion that a particular action is "good" or "evil" is completely dependent on whether you are a player or a pawn.

From the player's perspective, there really is no such thing as "good" and "evil"; it's just a game. A pawn, however, sees manipulation and death as its companions are sacrificed for some objective to which it may not be privy.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:52:27 PM »
In chess, the opinion that a particular action is "good" or "evil" is completely dependent on whether you are a player or a pawn.

From the player's perspective, there really is no such thing as "good" and "evil"; it's just a game. A pawn, however, sees manipulation and death as its companions are sacrificed for some objective to which it may not be privy.

This is really interesting.  I keep thinking back to that Spanish promo that came out... when was it?  last summer?  Anyway, I think it promoted the final season.  I don't have a link to it, but it was a really really well-done promo, and it was all as if the whole series was a chess game.

Somehow I am sure that the end of the series is going to show us that there is a whole bigger picture that we have not seen yet, and it is going to blow our minds...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:55:33 PM by Madam P »