Author Topic: Was Desmond following Claire?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Was Desmond following Claire?
« on: April 21, 2010, 02:18:35 PM »
or was he really on his way to see Ilana and just happened to run into her?

Seems like he was casing Hurley -- found out where he lived; followed him around until he could "bump into him" at Mr. Cluck's and make it seem random.

Seems like he was casing Locke -- found out where he lived; followed him to work and ran over him when the chance came.

How would he know where to find Claire?  I mean, Jacob was a supernatural being and could run into people any way he felt like it.  But Desmond is still just an ordinary man with the resources of Widmore's organization at his disposal.  But Claire's life is an audible at this point, isn't it?

------

Seems like a small point, but was Desmond knowingly putting Claire together with Jack?  Does Desmond even know that Claire and Jack are brother and sister?

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Was Desmond following Claire?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 02:21:11 PM »
I think Desmond is knowlingly arranging these meetings. The electromagnetic energy must have boosted his ability to flash through time and he knows what to do.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »

Seems like he was casing Hurley -- found out where he lived; followed him around until he could "bump into him" at Mr. Cluck's and make it seem random.

Seems like he was casing Locke -- found out where he lived; followed him to work and ran over him when the chance came.

How would he know where to find Claire?  I mean, Jacob was a supernatural being and could run into people any way he felt like it.  But Desmond is still just an ordinary man with the resources of Widmore's organization at his disposal.  But Claire's life is an audible at this point, isn't it?

------

Seems like a small point, but was Desmond knowingly putting Claire together with Jack?  Does Desmond even know that Claire and Jack are brother and sister?

He had George Minkowski (his driver / the freighter radio operator in the main timeline) get him the flight 815 manifest - this was in his "centric" episode Happily Ever after two weeks ago. 

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:22:19 PM »

------

He had George Minkowski (his driver / the freighter radio operator in the main timeline) get him the flight 815 manifest - this was in his "centric" episode Happily Ever after two weeks ago. 

But I think the point RM is making is that Claire is a foreigner and the flight manifest shouldn't have been able to help Desmond find her at all. Especially considering that she was going to this adoption agency. It seemed to me that this was actually a chance meeting. You could see it on Desmond's face how surprised he was about meeting her, and then again how it was weird that they were both going to the 15th floor. Also, when they went into the lawyer's office, Illana asked Desmond if it would be okay if she talked to Claire alone for a moment, basically saying, "Desmond, I know we have an appointment, but can I take care of this right quick."

I have been operating on the idea that Desmond has gained some sense of "knowing" since the whole Electromagnetic thing with Widmore, so it could also be that Desmond just knew that Claire would be there, right at that moment. This is something that will have to play itself out.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »

------

But I think the point RM is making is that Claire is a foreigner and the flight manifest shouldn't have been able to help Desmond find her at all. Especially considering that she was going to this adoption agency. It seemed to me that this was actually a chance meeting. You could see it on Desmond's face how surprised he was about meeting her, and then again how it was weird that they were both going to the 15th floor. Also, when they went into the lawyer's office, Illana asked Desmond if it would be okay if she talked to Claire alone for a moment, basically saying, "Desmond, I know we have an appointment, but can I take care of this right quick."

I have been operating on the idea that Desmond has gained some sense of "knowing" since the whole Electromagnetic thing with Widmore, so it could also be that Desmond just knew that Claire would be there, right at that moment. This is something that will have to play itself out.

Yeah I think whether by chance or by plan, Desmond is fulfilling his objective of getting together with everyone from the flight.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:56:43 PM »
Desmond offered Claire a free of charge lawyer and insisted to avoid her doing something irreversable.
Than Ilana's secretary told Desmond Ilana was waiting for him, but Ilana had an appointment with Jack to
read his father's will, not with Desmond.
I think Desmond and Ilana knew what they were doing.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »
I don't think Des ran into Claire by chance and took advantage of the moment. He didn't get to be Widmore's right hand man by being bad at his job. He's just been really good at finding and tracking these people. Perhaps luck or fate helps out a little bit too.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
Personally, I think they could've done a better job with explaining to us what the heck is going on with Desmond.  OK, so he went into the electromagnetic thingy, and he know's "something's" off-kilter, and he has a copy of the flight manifest.  Big whoopie.  A flight manifest doesn't have people's addresses on it.  And even more importantly, the flight manifest doesn't tell him which dozen or so passengers he "needs" to be interested in, out of the 200-or-so that were on the flight.  And they haven't shown us that (or how) he knows exactly what to do.  Just a simple line like he had when he sat up in bed with Penny that time -- "I know I need to get these people together" or whatever -- that would help.  Anyway, I feel like we've been left sorta twisting in the wind...

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
Personally, I think they could've done a better job with explaining to us what the heck is going on with Desmond.  OK, so he went into the electromagnetic thingy, and he know's "something's" off-kilter, and he has a copy of the flight manifest.  Big whoopie.  A flight manifest doesn't have people's addresses on it.  And even more importantly, the flight manifest doesn't tell him which dozen or so passengers he "needs" to be interested in, out of the 200-or-so that were on the flight.  And they haven't shown us that (or how) he knows exactly what to do.  Just a simple line like he had when he sat up in bed with Penny that time -- "I know I need to get these people together" or whatever -- that would help.  Anyway, I feel like we've been left sorta twisting in the wind...

First, I doubt they will explain the scientific or medical reason why Des can do what he can. Also, Des may remember everything which means he'd remember which of the people on flight 815 he knew from the Island. He may just know their first names though, then uses the manifest and the power of the internet to actually find them. Finally, he did kind of have that "sit up in bed" moment in the limo when he told George, he "needs to show them something."

I agree in that they only gave up bits and pieces, but they do that alot in Lost and I kind of like that about the show. It made the scene where Des runs John over in the parking lot pretty surprising and unexpected, for example.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:01:32 PM »
I think that's just one of those things you have to let go, cuz it's a show with limited time...

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Yeah, I know, you're right.  It's just one of those things that frustrates me because it seems like it could've possibly been answered pretty satisfactorily with a ten-or-fifteen second scene, so why not go ahead and do it?  But that's why I don't do TV, I guess. 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »
Yeah, I know, you're right.  It's just one of those things that frustrates me because it seems like it could've possibly been answered pretty satisfactorily with a ten-or-fifteen second scene, so why not go ahead and do it?  But that's why I don't do TV, I guess. 

I think you're bailing on the writers way too soon. There's still time for them to explain what it is that's happening with him.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »

I think you're bailing on the writers way too soon. There's still time for them to explain what it is that's happening with him.

Agreed. LOST has always been a show that likes to hol out on its mystery for a while. May be the case here too.

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 03:38:37 PM »

Agreed. LOST has always been a show that likes to hol out on its mystery for a while. May be the case here too.

I agree there is hope for the writers, but if Desmond is "all seeing" he wouldn't need the manifest in the first place.   Since he did, he would need a way to find Claire.   Maybe he's getting some help from someone or something we don't understand.   Maybe he was going to see Illana and this really was a coincedence.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »

I agree there is hope for the writers, but if Desmond is "all seeing" he wouldn't need the manifest in the first place.   Since he did, he would need a way to find Claire.   Maybe he's getting some help from someone or something we don't understand.   Maybe he was going to see Illana and this really was a coincedence.

Well, in my earlier post, I said that it was probably a coincidence, so I guess you and I are on the same page, I'm just saying that I'm sure we will get the answer we want from this.