Author Topic: Sailboat  (Read 4152 times)

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Sailboat
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »
I expected that  they might sail off into the sunset. Since the island has lost it's power of being invisible I hoped that they would make a getaway. I might assume that the pilot Lapidus might understand bearings and the way towards Guam.
Couldn't flocke leave the island via the donkey wheel?
So there is a plane, a sub, a sailboat and a donkey wheel for escape modes.
I am wondering whether Jacob's ashes will surround Flocke at some point rendering him imobile or perhaps it will be like the Wizard of Oz and someone will throw the ashes on him...he's melting.........
So many plans, so many questions and  so few episodes  left.
It would be even better if they would actually SAIL the sailboat...

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 10:25:14 PM »
Speaking of the boat, why did Sawyer and Kate jump in the water at the beach? They could have walked 200' closer to it by walking up the jetty. Seems like they were in a hurry to get wet  ;)

LOL!  That was the first thing I thought when I saw that scene.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 10:33:09 PM »
Speaking of the boat, why did Sawyer and Kate jump in the water at the beach? They could have walked 200' closer to it by walking up the jetty. Seems like they were in a hurry to get wet  ;)

Could just be me, but given waves and currents, I'd rather jump into the water by the nice smooth, sandy beach than over by the rock garden where the jetty was.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
Speaking of the boat, why did Sawyer and Kate jump in the water at the beach? They could have walked 200' closer to it by walking up the jetty. Seems like they were in a hurry to get wet  ;)

It's actually harder to jump off in the rough water around the jetty then to swim past it already being in water...but then again its a tv show...if they really wanted to swim to the boat, you would start further down from the beach cuz you have to swim sideways on a beach, you can't swim straight out...

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 11:13:38 AM »
I got the impression from something Sawyer said that you need that special bearing (325?) to leave the Island by boat (or helicopter) . . .

The Precise bearing they needed may have changed when the Island moved

That was my thought as well.   I mean, I love Sawyer to death and all, but I'm just not sure they're going to be able to hop into some means of transportation and get away. 

Offline AloeSPF80

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 11:37:27 AM »
All I could think of while they sailed on the boat was "Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand..."

If Duran Duran from the 80's suddenly came up from below deck, that would REALLY throw off some of these timelines!  ;D

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »
All I could think of while they sailed on the boat was "Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand..."

If Duran Duran from the 80's suddenly came up from below deck, that would REALLY throw off some of these timelines!  ;D
...and it may actually add something to the scene...

Offline zuludaddy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 11:05:47 PM »
I'm kinda surprised no one seems to have mentioned it here [or in waaaay earlier posts], but the sailboat itself is recognizable as a sloop by a maker called Nautor and known as Nautor's Swan.  I didn't see enough of the boat to know exactly which model, but I believe it to be a Swan 51. These are high-end production yachts of extremely limited runs - maybe three or four of these come out of the factory in a given year. You can seriously compare these to high performing Rolls Royces in carworld...

My guess is this is the private yacht of one of the producers down in Hawaii, who gets some tax break for having her appear in the show...  You can see the name ELIZABETH and home port are printed on a sticker laid over the transom.

Also, while several establishing shots showed the vessel underway, I think a majority of the shots were taken on board while at anchor - the boat is clearly not moving...

Anyway, always found it interesting that Desmond shows up on the island on a Swan, and is linked to swans evermore...

[disclosure: I have sailed professionally...]

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 01:25:18 AM »
There's a local sports radio show here in northern california, and the host has been around a long time. One of his bits or catch phrases is, when someone drops an impressively cool but really obscure trivia fact he'll say "Good knowledge"

Zuludaddy, that was definitely a "good knowledge" moment. Very cool swan connection. It's definitely the first time I've heard it.

Offline zuludaddy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »

Zuludaddy, that was definitely a "good knowledge" moment. Very cool swan connection. It's definitely the first time I've heard it.

Awww, shucks... [blushes, kicks dirt...]