Author Topic: Sailboat  (Read 4157 times)

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Sailboat
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »
I expected that  they might sail off into the sunset. Since the island has lost it's power of being invisible I hoped that they would make a getaway. I might assume that the pilot Lapidus might understand bearings and the way towards Guam.
Couldn't flocke leave the island via the donkey wheel?
So there is a plane, a sub, a sailboat and a donkey wheel for escape modes.
I am wondering whether Jacob's ashes will surround Flocke at some point rendering him imobile or perhaps it will be like the Wizard of Oz and someone will throw the ashes on him...he's melting.........
So many plans, so many questions and  so few episodes  left.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Sailboat
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:10:51 AM »
Stupid question, but that is Desmonds boat right? Been out there for the last 3 years with no upkeep, looks pretty good.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »
I expected that  they might sail off into the sunset. Since the island has lost it's power of being invisible I hoped that they would make a getaway. I might assume that the pilot Lapidus might understand bearings and the way towards Guam.
Couldn't flocke leave the island via the donkey wheel?
So there is a plane, a sub, a sailboat and a donkey wheel for escape modes.
I am wondering whether Jacob's ashes will surround Flocke at some point rendering him imobile or perhaps it will be like the Wizard of Oz and someone will throw the ashes on him...he's melting.........
So many plans, so many questions and  so few episodes  left.

I don't think we've seen anything to make us think that the Island has lost its power of invisibility or its power of being very hard to find.  Widmore / Eloise have repeatedly demonstrated an ability to find the island - hence the freighter (which happened before Ben turned the donkey wheel), Ajira flight, and now Widmore appearing on the sub.

So I don't think they can come and go as they please - not without special bearings / calculations.  seems like going via submarine on the right bearing is the best way to go - the wrong bearing you just end up back on the island.  I suspect that Smokey's need to have everyone together in order to leave has more to do with his owned planned departure than anyone else's - I think the other people could come and go as they will provided they use the right bearings.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:20 PM »
It is Desmond's boat. The side said "Elizabeth   Newport Beach".  Libby's boat from her husband.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 01:08:47 PM »
It is Desmond's boat. The side said "Elizabeth   Newport Beach".  Libby's boat from her husband.

If Libby wasn't working for Widmore and set Desmond up as she shows up out of nowhere and gives a total stranger a boat???????
Thought the boat was destroyed?

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »
It is Desmond's boat. The side said "Elizabeth   Newport Beach".  Libby's boat from her husband.

If Libby wasn't working for Widmore and set Desmond up as she shows up out of nowhere and gives a total stranger a boat???????

It was being repaired by Des' hatch partner, after Locke started pushing the button Des took off on it and circled the island for awhile before comming back.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
And to finish up the timeline of the Elizabeth, after Des failed to get to Fij, Sayid, Sun and Jin sailed the Elizabeth around the island to try to surprise the Others but found the decoy camp instead.  Ben learned that the Losties had a boat and ordered Colleen and some other Others to get it, which they did. The boat remained the possession of the Others for at least 3 years. We haven't seen it since.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »

It was being repaired by Des' hatch partner, after Locke started pushing the button Des took off on it and circled the island for awhile before coming back.

Oh I remember Kelvin being killed by Des when he finally went outside after 3 years, remember Otherton taking the boat, just thought it got destroyed, in great shape after all this time. But Libby was sent by Widmore.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:43:21 PM »
I got the impression from something Sawyer said that you need that special bearing (325?) to leave the Island by boat (or helicopter) . . . but not if you leave by submarine.  Is that right?

I mean, if you need the bearing to leave by submarine too, then they might as well leave on the boat.  Lapidus might still remember the correct bearing.  Or you'd think that ghost Michael might help them out by telling Hurley . . . (but ghost Mike doesn't seem to want them to leave).

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 02:08:36 PM »

It was being repaired by Des' hatch partner, after Locke started pushing the button Des took off on it and circled the island for awhile before coming back.

Oh I remember Kelvin being killed by Des when he finally went outside after 3 years, remember Otherton taking the boat, just thought it got destroyed, in great shape after all this time. But Libby was sent by Widmore.

you're right, the boat was in great shape. Maybe the healing properties of the Island works on boats too? ;)

As for Libby, I'm not so sure she was sent by Widmore. I had the same theory a few years back, but now, I would just chalk up that meeting to fate. Libby seems to be a person that acts on instinct, much like how she apprached Hurley last week. At this point, I'd be surprised if there was a scene with Widmore and Libby, or where Widmore says, "I sent that boat here" etc.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »
Others maintained the boat.

Can't leave The Island above the waterline without a precise bearing.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »
All I could think of while they sailed on the boat was "Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand..."

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 02:25:23 PM »
Speaking of the boat, why did Sawyer and Kate jump in the water at the beach? They could have walked 200' closer to it by walking up the jetty. Seems like they were in a hurry to get wet  ;)

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »
I said the same thing to my friend..the jetty was much closer.  Someone would have to maintain the boat if it started right up...they were not using sails bur
a motor.  Did MIB, Flocke  expect to put the 20 or so others on the boat as well?
Quite bizarre.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
I got the impression from something Sawyer said that you need that special bearing (325?) to leave the Island by boat (or helicopter) . . . but not if you leave by submarine.  Is that right?

I mean, if you need the bearing to leave by submarine too, then they might as well leave on the boat.  Lapidus might still remember the correct bearing.  Or you'd think that ghost Michael might help them out by telling Hurley . . . (but ghost Mike doesn't seem to want them to leave).

The Precise bearing they needed may have changed when the Island moved