Author Topic: Sideways timeline getting better?  (Read 3945 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Sideways timeline getting better?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 02:37:03 AM »
I'm sorry, but if they allow Ben, Danielle and Alex to be a "happy ending" family unit in the X timeline, I will smash my TV set.

I will say it again: it is outrageous and irresponsible for them to portray Ben's kidnapping of a baby as "an act of love" that will ultimately be vindicated in the show's "happily ever after" ending.  That one thing would make me hate the entire show all by itself.

An unbelievably disgusting message to be sending out.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »
I'm sorry, but if they allow Ben, Danielle and Alex to be a "happy ending" family unit in the X timeline, I will smash my TV set.

I will say it again: it is outrageous and irresponsible for them to portray Ben's kidnapping of a baby as "an act of love" that will ultimately be vindicated in the show's "happily ever after" ending.  That one thing would make me hate the entire show all by itself.

I'm not saying ANY of this will happen, but if it does, try to look at it this way:
Ben STOLE Alex from Danielle in the original story.  Although he tried to justify it by telling himself that since he was ordered to kill them both, he really saved them both, it was still kidnapping.  And ultimately, that timeline ended horribly for Alex and, so far, for Ben also.
Now, in the ATL, Ben appears to be living a more selfless life.  While he was tempted to take the Principal's job by less than honorable means, he ultimately decided to put Alex ahead of his own ambitions.  The point here, I think, is that although it may be too late for the manipulative, scheming Ben on the island to save his soul, the alternate Ben has chosen a more righteous path.  If they reward THAT Ben with a happy ending, I don't think the message is as offensive as you suggest.  It may not be as clear as it could be due to the all the 'time travelling' and 'alternate timeline' stuff, but if we look at Ben as two different people living two different lives, the alternate Ben shouldn't be held accountable for the things the island Ben did.  That Ben may deserve the happy ending.   :'(   ;)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »

Wow, you exist in a whole different world of pissed off than I do, and I hate everything.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 12:05:47 PM »

Wow, you exist in a whole different world of pissed off than I do, and I hate everything.

Hey Bob, I'm stealing your quote for my Sig. As for RM, I'd look at it the way LF puts it. They are not trying to symbolize that kidnapping a baby is the okay thing to do. We don't know if Danielle is going to be a love intrest for Ben, and even if she is, they may not portray it as the "True Love" connection like they have with Penny and Desmond. They could just show that under different circumstances Danielle and Ben may date each other.