Author Topic: Sideways timeline getting better?  (Read 3948 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Sideways timeline getting better?
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
I have been saying since the beginning of the season that everyone in the side flashes appeared to be miserable, which I know went against what some people thought.  Some folks said that the side flashes were better because Jacob had never touched them, yada yada yada.......I wasn't buying it.  But now, and I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong, things seem to be improving:

Locke was depressed about being in the chair, getting fired, etc.  but now he's about to have Jack work his magic and may come out walking again in the end.

Jack was separated from David's mother, still had to be careful about the drinking and still lost his father, but his relationship with his son is improving and he has confidence as a doctor like we've never seen.

Kate was still on the run for murder, but claims (I know others had been saying this!) that she is innocent.  Maybe she really is!

Sayid doesn't appear to be doing too well, even still, but who knows, maybe it will be determined that he acted in self defense (with additional testimony from Jin) and he will be free to steal Nadia from his brother!

Claire was all alone in the U.S. abandoned by the adoptive parents, but now she has found new family, and maybe she'll also find Charlie who could use some good news himself.

Jin was a bloody mess and Sun was shot in the belly, but the threat is now gone and the baby is OK and they are free from her father.

Hurley was rich but lonely and now he is rich and not so lonely!

Sawyer was still tormented about his parents, but I think he will be able to move on after (speculating, of course) he goes to the hospital to interview Jin and Sun and meets Juliet who is there to pick up her son, David (yes, I'm in THAT camp!).  Or, she could also be there to help with Sun's pregnancy.

One last speculation:  I read that there will be a new love connection that no one will guess.  Well, I'm guessing, and I say it will be Ben and Danielle.  Ben may not have gotten to be Principal, but he will once again become Alex's dad.

Oh, yeah, and Artz may not have gotten the parking spot he wanted, but he didn't blow up either!

I'm still in the dark about how the sideways world will come to be.  I had thought (when everyone was still miserable) that it wasn't reality (like Charlie said) and that it would eventually be corrected when everyone saw the truth, but now it's starting to look like things are improving for them.  Will they 'finish' the job on the island and be rewarded with this alternate life?  Somehow I don't see this show ending on a completely happy note like that.  Maybe the sacrifice that Widmore told Desmond about will be that they must all choose to stay on the island to save the world, even after getting a glimpse of what their lives could have been? 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:03:16 AM by lostfan777 »

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Sideways timeline getting better?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »
The more I think about it the more sense it makes. Juliet being David's mother and falls for Sawyer plays on the back and forth love triangle staring Kate. I still think that it would be funnier if it were Danielle, David has some really dark hair after all.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:48:38 AM »
I like all of the points you're making, but I think that this might be the final "test". Remember how MIB said it always ends the same?? Maybe he meant that in the end, the people Jacob brings to the island always end up choosing the better life instead of the original real life, and Jacob is looking for the person that will sacrifice the better life in order to keep the real world "safe".

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
I'm actually liking that the Sideways storyline seems to be a lone epilogue that still has bits and pieces to be unresolved.

As for what's to come.  Sawyer must come to the hospital (to interview Sun and Jin) and run into none other than Anthony Cooper, who is there to see his son John Locke.

A surprise love connection?  Who's unspoken for: Lapidus, Ilana, Ben, apparently Danielle.  Miles told Sawyer he already has a girlfriend but we've yet to see who it is.  Miles and Ilana would be my guess.  Don't think there's any way for Richard to exist in 2004 X.  I suppose Cindy is still walking around.  (wasn't the Cindy character a girlfriend to someone in some piece of side fiction -- "Bad Twin" or something connected to the fake plane submerged in the ocean?)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »
As for what's to come.  Sawyer must come to the hospital (to interview Sun and Jin) and run into none other than Anthony Cooper, who is there to see his son John Locke.

Whoa!  I totally forgot that Locke is on good terms with his dad in this timeline!  Very possible that they would meet, but is Locke's father the right guy here?  James isn't the con man we knew him to be before, maybe AC is different also.  How can they possibly end this in just a few more shows?  There are so many loose story lines to tie up, just from this season, and I'm not even counting the 'mysteries' from seasons past that they will probably leave behind.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »
I like all of the points you're making, but I think that this might be the final "test". Remember how MIB said it always ends the same?? Maybe he meant that in the end, the people Jacob brings to the island always end up choosing the better life instead of the original real life, and Jacob is looking for the person that will sacrifice the better life in order to keep the real world "safe".

REALLY like this theory. Count me aboard this bandwagon.

I'm actually liking that the Sideways storyline seems to be a lone epilogue that still has bits and pieces to be unresolved.

A surprise love connection?  Who's unspoken for: Lapidus, Ilana, Ben, apparently Danielle.  Miles told Sawyer he already has a girlfriend but we've yet to see who it is.  Miles and Ilana would be my guess.  Don't think there's any way for Richard to exist in 2004 X.  I suppose Cindy is still walking around.  (wasn't the Cindy character a girlfriend to someone in some piece of side fiction -- "Bad Twin" or something connected to the fake plane submerged in the ocean?)

That would be AWESOME for Sawyer to run into Anthony Cooper in the hospital. As for a love connection. I really think it is going to be Ben and Danielle. We've seen Alex, and her relationship with Ben, so I think it would be fitting for Ben to end up falling for the woman he spared on the Island and ended up as the Step Father to Alex.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
Has the thought that the person Locke is calling dad might not be Anthony Cooper?? I mean, that Anthony Cooper might be his biological father, but Locke was raised in foster homes wasn't he?? Maybe he got adopted. I might be forgetting, but did we see a picture of Locke with Cooper in the Alternate time line??

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 01:27:25 PM »
Has the thought that the person Locke is calling dad might not be Anthony Cooper?? I mean, that Anthony Cooper might be his biological father, but Locke was raised in foster homes wasn't he?? Maybe he got adopted. I might be forgetting, but did we see a picture of Locke with Cooper in the Alternate time line??

Yes, we did, in his cubicle.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »

Yes, we did, in his cubicle.

Okay, then nevermind then. Thanks lf.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »

REALLY like this theory. Count me aboard this bandwagon.

That would be AWESOME for Sawyer to run into Anthony Cooper in the hospital. As for a love connection. I really think it is going to be Ben and Danielle. We've seen Alex, and her relationship with Ben, so I think it would be fitting for Ben to end up falling for the woman he spared on the Island and ended up as the Step Father to Alex.

I just have to echo I_Am_Jacob here--I love these two theories! They make a ton of sense and I do hope it is Ben and Danielle as well!

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
Excellent theory! I'm going to keep this in mind from here on out.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 03:08:42 PM »

So then Jacob has always been looking for someone worthy to take his place and they have always chosen their own wants over the needs of the island and the world itself.  But this time, MIB found a loophole that allowed him to kill Jacob, so now if a worthy candidate doesn't emerge, MIB not only wins the argument, he wins his freedom as well. 
I like it.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 12:45:34 PM »
The more I read that theory Bob, the more I like it. It really makes a whole lot of sense. Ties everything up quite nicely too.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »

What do you mean by "safe"?

So, are you saying that maybe all of our Losties can escape to the Alt timeline, but one will stay behind so that the Island-timeline (is that what you're referring to as "real world"?) can still exist also?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »

What do you mean by "safe"?

So, are you saying that maybe all of our Losties can escape to the Alt timeline, but one will stay behind so that the Island-timeline (is that what you're referring to as "real world"?) can still exist also?

No, what I'm saying is that if the person that Jacob thinks should replace him decides to not take his place, and fulfills his own selfish desire to go to the alternate timeline where basically everyone's life is better, then the real world (original timeline) will vanish, or as Widmore puts it, Cease to be. BUT if the replacement decides to take Jacob's place as the island protector, then the Alternate timeline will cease, and the original timeline, or real world, will continue (or, be "safe"), and everyone that all of the people care about will continue to live their lives as they have been.