Author Topic: "Show them what we are capable of"  (Read 3988 times)

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: "Show them what we are capable of"
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »
I'm thinking that Locke didn't "go all Smokey on her ass" because he's maybe enjoying all of this a little.  I think he's completely confident that he's going to win and I'm guessing he can't be killed with something as "simple" as a mortar like that, so he just wants to play around and watch what they do for a while.  If he just killed everyone immediately then he'd be finished and it would be all over.  I think he's just having fun for the time being.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 12:59:15 AM »
Well, and it could be that he didn't want to be like Sully from Monsters, Inc. and scare the "little ones" to death.  It might get his recruits all worked up if they think he can't control his temper and starts disemboweling people right in front of them.  It helps keep the "bad guy" arrow pointing at Widmore. 

Actually, have we seen him "go Smokey" recently?  Maybe something happened and he can't anymore?  The Temple was the last time, right?  That was a big show of strength and he took out a lot of people -- maybe he has to build his power back up or something.

(Edit:  Is it just me or is the forum having problems?  I couldn't even access it for a couple days, and now occasionally I get an "error message" after a post, but yet the post has gone thru OK.  Weird...  Anyway, for what it's worth, I was soooo glad it came back!  Starting to freak out there... if Sledgeweb's site goes kablooey during this last month of "Lost",  :o   ...well... we just won't think about that today.  We'll think about that tomorrow.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:04:02 AM by Madam P »

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 01:23:30 AM »
I don't see the point in showing Smokey they can blow sh*t up when they had appeared to know enough about him (re: his aversion to electromagnetic barriers). Seems like a contradiction. Why would a Smoke Monster care if you can fire mortars with some degree of precision?

The smoke monster might not care, but the people following him probably do.
Exactlly, and if in fact he does need them to get off the island...killing them would end that...but, I still dont think thats it...

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 11:28:40 AM »
Finally, I really don't want to sound like some military expert because I'm not, but as far as Zoe calling in her position before the explosion, when a soldier calls in artillery, the first thing they do is give their own position, so that way it doesn't land on them. Zoe may have just been making sure the warning shot would be far enough away from her.

I have never been in the millitary, nor do I know how millitary personel operate in the field, but this is exactly what I was thinking. It seemed pretty obvious to me, especially after the beach part at the end of the episode when Widmore was shelling them, that they didn't need a signal to get a lock. Which once again, kind of is why I think they were showing that they could get them whenever they wanted.

Well, and it could be that he didn't want to be like Sully from Monsters, Inc. and scare the "little ones" to death.  It might get his recruits all worked up if they think he can't control his temper and starts disemboweling people right in front of them.  It helps keep the "bad guy" arrow pointing at Widmore. 

Actually, have we seen him "go Smokey" recently?  Maybe something happened and he can't anymore?  The Temple was the last time, right?  That was a big show of strength and he took out a lot of people -- maybe he has to build his power back up or something.

(Edit:  Is it just me or is the forum having problems?  I couldn't even access it for a couple days, and now occasionally I get an "error message" after a post, but yet the post has gone thru OK.  Weird...  Anyway, for what it's worth, I was soooo glad it came back!  Starting to freak out there... if Sledgeweb's site goes kablooey during this last month of "Lost",  :o   ...well... we just won't think about that today.  We'll think about that tomorrow.)

I think he has, just to travel around the island. He hasn't attacked anyone since the temple as smokey though.

As for the web site issues, I was having them too, but I just kind of shrugged them off.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »
Yeah I think the Final mortar attack was aimed more at those following MiB than actual MiB. I think Widmore feels that with fewer people able to fight back with MiB the better chance Widmore's people have of eliminating him somehow. Thye have to know they can't kill MiB with Mortar rounds. but his disciples there are mortal.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
Yeah I think the Final mortar attack was aimed more at those following MiB than actual MiB. I think Widmore feels that with fewer people able to fight back with MiB the better chance Widmore's people have of eliminating him somehow. Thye have to know they can't kill MiB with Mortar rounds. but his disciples there are mortal.

I'm not so sure they know they can't kill MIB with artillery. First, Illana's team tried shooting him, but that didn't work.

Also, when MIB came to Hydra island, the geek squad came out of the jungle with their guns pointed at him saying "Show me your hands", as if their guns were going to do anything against him, or he even needed a weapon against them. He even kind of gave a look like "Really? You want me to show you my hands? Are you that stupid? Fine, see. Look. Here's my hands." More awesome acting by Terry O'Quinn.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »

I'm not so sure they know they can't kill MIB with artillery. First, Illana's team tried shooting him, but that didn't work.

Also, when MIB came to Hydra island, the geek squad came out of the jungle with their guns pointed at him saying "Show me your hands", as if their guns were going to do anything against him, or he even needed a weapon against them. He even kind of gave a look like "Really? You want me to show you my hands? Are you that stupid? Fine, see. Look. Here's my hands." More awesome acting by Terry O'Quinn.

touche

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
Yeah I think the Final mortar attack was aimed more at those following MiB than actual MiB.

This.

And in addition, it was designed to convince MiB's followers to abandon him.  The Widmore Arsenal may or may not be a formidable challenge to Smokey's power (which he may or may not be able to use at will against particular people only).  However, it scares the pee out of a bunch of primitive screwheads carrying a few rifles.

As for targeting, I agree that she has radioed her position and may have a lurking sidekick giving the exact coordinates for a harmless warning shot.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »
It would scare the pee out of me.