Author Topic: Widmore  (Read 3659 times)

Offline LibDip

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Widmore
« on: April 21, 2010, 02:55:36 AM »
So why is he suddenly turning on his deal with Sawyer? Do you think it has to do with Desmond?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Widmore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 02:57:29 AM »
I think, in a way, it has to do with Desmond. Widmore lost Des, and he probably wants to make sure he doesn't lose the rest of them.

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:05:16 AM »
I really don't think Widmore wants any of them off that island.

Offline lamporium

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:26:09 AM »
I really don't think Widmore wants any of them off that island.

Possibilities:

1. Widmore wants them on the island to fulfill their destiny like Jack says they have to do.

2. Widmore knows he can't trust Sawyer. He is a con man and indeed Sawyer was going to betray Widmore.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:34:44 AM »
Possibilities:
2. Widmore knows he can't trust Sawyer. He is a con man and indeed Sawyer was going to betray Widmore.

True, they were under surveillance, so it's possible Widmore overheard Sawyer's plans to steal the sub.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:05:56 AM »
Widmore is up to no good--as always. He is in it for himself and I believe he is an enemy to the Losties and the island.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
Possibilities:

True, they were under surveillance, so it's possible Widmore overheard Sawyer's plans to steal the sub.

Possible.  I won't be able to decide about Widmore until we see the next scene.  If he orders them dead, then I guess he isn't such a good guy.  If he orders them held, then he may be just trying to prevent them from leaving the island, which is what Jack seems to be thinking also, that they need to stay for a higher purpose.  This may also be the sacrifice Widmore told Desmond he'd have to make, stay on the island so that Penny and baby Charlie can live their lives.

Offline sillysab

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »
seriously, what side is widmore on... has it always just been his own?

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:25:19 PM »
I believe Widmore is on the side that serves him best.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »
Why kill them when you can hold them and use them as bargaining chips to swap for Desmond?

------

Widmore doesn't want MIB to leave (or else everyone will cease to be).  Somebody (Desmond?) needs to stay around to be the warden.  Widmore doesn't want to destroy the Island, but I don't exactly get what "power" he is after, either.  Doesn't seem like the life on an Other is all that great, frankly.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »
I like the idea that Widmore wants them held. It would make sense that he doesn't want them leaving the Island if that is what will keep MiB at bay. I think it is going to be completely counterproductive however because MiB now has the opportunity to Manipulate Jack into doing what's best for MiB. Say the Losties are being held. All Jack needs to know is where to find him. If he goes with Sayid, They will be easy pickings for a surprise ambush from Sayid and Claire.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »
I never trusted Widmore.  I think I'd trust an evil smoke monster over him.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 02:38:53 PM »
Trust No One...

Yeah everybody is startin' to seem shady to me.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
Yeah I am always on the fence about our good old Widmore. I think he may be looking out for someone other than himself in this instance. Maybe....

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »
Why kill them when you can hold them and use them as bargaining chips to swap for Desmond?

------

Widmore doesn't want MIB to leave (or else everyone will cease to be).  Somebody (Desmond?) needs to stay around to be the warden.  Widmore doesn't want to destroy the Island, but I don't exactly get what "power" he is after, either.  Doesn't seem like the life on an Other is all that great, frankly.

Maybe Jacob's power, eternal life, leaving and returning to the island, healing people, manipulating time, manipulating people's lifes, watching them, redoing history, knowing the future and manipulating it.