Author Topic: Talking to MiB  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Folly529

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Talking to MiB
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »
So, Jacob warned Ricardus to kill the MiB before he spoke . . .  Claire said that Jack was with the MiB because he talked with him . . .

What is the power of a chat with the MiB?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Talking to MiB
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:20:15 AM »
It is not so strong, Claire, Sawyer, Hurley ans Sun all have ignored him.

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:28:20 AM »
So is it safe to assume that Desmond is not only not shot but possibly no longer stuck in a well?

Perhaps MIB only has a strong hold over the nearly dead.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 04:37:03 AM »
So is it safe to assume that Desmond is not only not shot but possibly no longer stuck in a well?

Him and Miracle Max! (Princess Bride reference.)

Offline Folly529

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:52:28 AM »

Yeee! thanks, Holland!  You know how I love PB references ;D

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 11:23:45 AM »

Yeee! thanks, Holland!  You know how I love PB references ;D

I'm glad you two picked up on that...

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:42:16 AM »
So, Jacob warned Ricardus to kill the MiB before he spoke . . .  Claire said that Jack was with the MiB because he talked with him . . .

I'm not so sure that it is the talking thing, mainly because that seems kind of stupid. I mean, if all MIB has to do is talk to you to get you on his side, then he wouldn't need to make these deals with people.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »
Claire and Sayid were dead and claimed, so I'm not sure what applies to them applies to others.

Don't see how talking/touching should apply to the candidates, either, since they've all talked to/touched Jacob ages ago.

That may only apply to the ordinary expendables (Cindy, Zack, Emma, miscellaneous Others).

------

Specifically, I don't think that Jack is "with MIB" just because of what Claire said or MIB said.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »
Desmond talked to him and MIB threw him down a well.  So no  Claire is crazy and talking to MIB does not mean he has claimed you, free will is involved,as we have seen  in earlier episodes this season have to want to go have to want what he is offering. Yet Desmond (watch him: may understand the island,  the Sideways, and The MIB and Jacob even more than you suspect now), may have turned zombie Sayid back around.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
The power doesn't come from a simple exchange of any words. MIB's power is in his persuasion.  If you give him the chance to talk to you, you invite the opportunity that he could convince you to do something.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
The power doesn't come from a simple exchange of any words. MIB's power is in his persuasion.  If you give him the chance to talk to you, you invite the opportunity that he could convince you to do something.

also free will

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »

I'm not so sure that it is the talking thing, mainly because that seems kind of stupid. I mean, if all MIB has to do is talk to you to get you on his side, then he wouldn't need to make these deals with people.

Exactly one has to  completely give up their free will as Richard did and as Sayid did, but Richard was turned around by Jacob, and looks like Sayid was turned around by Desmond. And Locke talked to Desmond and realized it had no effect so tossed him down a hole as knew he could not kill him after seeing the boy (Aaron?)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself. So I stole it. I do think Jack will find him, whether he knows it or not, acting in MiB's best interests soon enough.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 02:45:35 PM »
Ironically, MIB makes the same warning about Jacob which is one of many reasons why I don't trust Jacob.  I won't be surprised if they're both "bad."

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »
Ironically, MIB makes the same warning about Jacob which is one of many reasons why I don't trust Jacob.  I won't be surprised if they're both "bad."

Or, at least, both essentially the same kind of being with the same abilities (appearing as someone else, turning into smoke, never ageing).