Author Topic: Who is the Last Recruit?  (Read 8313 times)

Offline Walkabout V.2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the Last Recruit?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »
Apparently MIB doesn't like to lie so much. Sure, he told Richard that Jacob is the devil, but from MIB's perspective Jacob IS the Devil keeping him locked up in this hell of an island. He also lied to Claire (to protect her, he says), but when asked if he is the smoke monster or if he appeared in some form or other he tells the truth. And I still think he might be telling the truth about having been a human once. Think about last episode's whisper reveal. He could have died, become a whisper and then Jacob could have turned him into a smoke monster later. When in non Smokey form, he does not strike me as particullary evil. He didn't even want to kill Desmond at first, and to me he seems a lot more human than Jacob.
??? Uh, I was taught a half truth is also a half lie. Telling Kate she is safe and then telling Claire she can kill her later.... He lied to one of them. As for him being smokie well he doesn't need to lie because our Losties know Locke is dead.

Offline Maddog13

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 08:46:12 AM »
I took it that Jack was the "Last Recruit" because all the others died in the explosion, or got on the boat.  Suppose we will see how many are left next week, could be just Locke(MiB) and Jack.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
I have been saying it for weeks that MiB is not such a bad guy. Jacob comes across as evil to me, he brings people to the island against their will killing many in the process to try and win a bet against MiB. MiB has been against bringing people to the island since pre-Black Rock. He doesn't want to play Jacob's silly game. If MiB turns out to really be "All things Evil" then Jacob will end up being "All things A** Hole"

They are definitely feeding the idea that MIB may not be the evil one, but all the cruel things Jacob has done would be justified if MIB is in fact 'evil incarnate'.  The 'silly game' would be Jacob doing what he needs to do to keep MIB imprisoned and 'the bet' would be for the fate of mankind.  Any other scenario, to me, would make everything that has happened be for nothing, which would not leave me with a good feeling at the end.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 10:06:55 AM »

[/quote]

Any other scenario, to me, would make everything that has happened be for nothing, which would not leave me with a good feeling at the end.
[/quote]

That is true. What if Widmore was the real evil one and MIB turns out to be not so bad? I mean, he's bad or misguided, but not as bad as Widmore? Someone needs to be the antagonsist and with Jack having that feeling that going to Hydra island was not the right thing to do perhaps they need to team up with MIB to protect themselves and the island.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »
Yeah, I think they've been using "candidate" with respect to Jacob and "recuit" with respect to MIB.  Plus, Jack was the very last person to speak to MIB face-to-face.

If Jack doesn't abandon ship, then all of the candidates would have been off the Island with MIB left there only with his minions (whom he can kill at any time).  I think Jack's sense of something being wrong was about that -- "What if that thing's afraid of what will happen if we stay."

For me, they're clearly heading now for a "Jack and UnLocke will be the new Jacob and MIB" ending.

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »
Jack is the Last Recruit.  The title either refers to the last person  Flocke needs to recruit or, the last person he has recruited.  If it refers to the last person he has to recruit them it is Jack.  If he needs to recruit the candidates and Jack is the last recruit, then candidate Kwon is Sun, not Jin.  If he recruits by having a one one one conversation with someone, then Sun has already been recruited.  But I do not think that being recruited is a permanent state.  Richard seemed to be recruited by Flocke but goes with Jacob.  Both Sayid and Clare appear to slipping out of Locke's control.  Maybe being recruited is like being intoxicated.  You can lose your senses but you can also get them back.  Maybe the Lighthouse experience was necessary to make Jack "immune" to Flocke's attempt to recruit him.  Too many damn questions with so little time left!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
I think it refers to Jack being recruited by MIB in the respect that Jack is physically with him, but not mentally. I'm sure that with the way Jack has changed, he will see Locke doing something he doesn't agree with, and just not do it.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »
Jack is the Last Recruit.  The title either refers to the last person  Flocke needs to recruit or, the last person he has recruited.  If it refers to the last person he has to recruit them it is Jack.  If he needs to recruit the candidates and Jack is the last recruit, then candidate Kwon is Sun, not Jin.  If he recruits by having a one one one conversation with someone, then Sun has already been recruited.  But I do not think that being recruited is a permanent state.  Richard seemed to be recruited by Flocke but goes with Jacob.  Both Sayid and Clare appear to slipping out of Locke's control.  Maybe being recruited is like being intoxicated.  You can lose your senses but you can also get them back.  Maybe the Lighthouse experience was necessary to make Jack "immune" to Flocke's attempt to recruit him.  Too many damn questions with so little time left!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack is the last recruit but for whom Jacob or MIB? that is the big question. As for UnLocke talking to people then having them under his control no not true:DESMOND! UnLocke talked to him and threw him down a hole. Desmond started the turn around of Zombie Sayid. Remember self will is involved in recruitment, have to want to go with MIB willingly,

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
Canidate vs Recruit sounds a lot like Fate vs Free Will.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »

'Sounds' that way, but Claire seems to think MIB really gives you no choice in the matter.  If he speaks, you are claimed.  Doesn't seem to be working well for him, though.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »

That is the big question and answer of the series plus now add in LOVE!

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
I'm on board with those who posted Jack.  It's because of Flocke's last line, and I quote this loosely cuz I have a crap memory, "You're going to be alright, you're with me now."

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 01:22:22 PM »
This constant division into groups is getting really old. Instead of finding out more about characters or mythology, the last hours of the show are wasted by marching through the jungle changing groups. It's been like that since Season 2. Is there no other way to write a plot?

I 100% agree with you!! At first it was .. alright they are all back together and are going to see this through to the end!! Then 5 minutes later Jack and Sawyer are at it again and jack jumps off the boat. Very frustrating last 15 minutes.
I agree with you both. As I was watching I was thinking wow this is turning out to be a really good episode and by the end I thought-it was ALMOST a good episode. Not bad just frustrating

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »
I have been saying it for weeks that MiB is not such a bad guy. Jacob comes across as evil to me, he brings people to the island against their will killing many in the process to try and win a bet against MiB. MiB has been against bringing people to the island since pre-Black Rock. He doesn't want to play Jacob's silly game. If MiB turns out to really be "All things Evil" then Jacob will end up being "All things A** Hole"

I love that I'm not the only one saying this stuff.  I don't feel so alone and outnumbered anymore!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 01:34:27 PM »

I love that I'm not the only one saying this stuff.  I don't feel so alone and outnumbered anymore!

They will end up being both one and the same just have been separated for awhile once merged by probablt Desmond paradise restored to the island