Author Topic: Does someone need to be left behind?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Does someone need to be left behind?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »
It could certainly stand to reason though that once MiB found his loophole he won't have any problem finding it again. If some third party individual makes a conscious decision to kill a candidate, or Jacob, that could be the secret loophole. Or if all MiB needs is someone to cause the death of a candidate without it being a self sacrificing action. We KNOW they candidates can't kill themselves, but they may be able to be killed as long as MiB doesn't do it, and they are not taking their own lives. Just a thought.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 11:17:10 PM »
It could certainly stand to reason though that once MiB found his loophole he won't have any problem finding it again. If some third party individual makes a conscious decision to kill a candidate, or Jacob, that could be the secret loophole. Or if all MiB needs is someone to cause the death of a candidate without it being a self sacrificing action. We KNOW they candidates can't kill themselves, but they may be able to be killed as long as MiB doesn't do it, and they are not taking their own lives. Just a thought.

The problem, though, is that MiB would have to find SIX different "loopholes" lol...and a new "Jacob" might be in place by the time he finds them all. Would be quicker and easier to get all the candidates off the island asap., while there's a void in island leadership (so to speak). "I gotta get these guys off this damn island before one of them becomes the new leader/protector".

And let's face it, it's not as if returning to the island is an easy thing to do. Once the candidates are off the island, that's probably gonna be it for them...and there will be no new "Jacob" to manipulate things to find and bring new candidates to the island.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 01:30:39 AM »
Yeah but with all the Candidates together at the moment, (With the exception of Jack), a group elimination would be convenient. Maybe one of those mortars

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 01:22:39 PM »
I would say that Ben was unnecessary on Ajira 316 - it would have made it back to the island with or without him.  And, in fact, thinking back to Ajira makes me think that it is Jin, and not Sun, who is a candidate, as all of the candidates (if you consider Jin to be one) were already back in 1977, "flashed" there when Ajira crashed, or were dead (Locke). 

So its not a contradiction to say someone needs to stay behind - if that someone is Ben.  Or, if that someone is anyone other than a candidate. 

The nature of someone staying behind to become the "new Jacob" means they are a candidate.  You cannot separate the two.  If Ben is a candidate he cannot be left behind by MIB.  Any and all candidates - now that seems to be the 815's  - need to be with MIB to leave (or be killed).