Author Topic: So this Idea came to me this morning. Figured I'd post it here.  (Read 1750 times)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Alright so for a while we have all been wondering how the Sideways is going to tie into the Island. A great many of theories like the idea of it being what happens AFTER our finale this year. I had a sort of epiphany this moring getting ready for work. (I may or may not have been showering) Remember Faraday's mouse? Or maybe a rat, not sure. So Faraday flashed its consciousness forward. When it came back to present, the mouse knew the maze as it was already taught the maze. So how does this apply?

What if the Side flash is what WOULD happen if they go the current course. The Losties have their conciousness flashed ahead and are living in the sideways at the same time as Island events are playing out. Maybe Jughead caused this shot of consciousness. Desmond is showing them all what they are living without in the Sideways. Maybe the endgame of the sideways is to have all the Losties still alive on the island flash their consciousness BACK to the island to alter a course of events.

So this course of thinking would say that maybe in episode 6x16, everyone gets together and makes the decision to have their consciousness flashed back to the island so they alter the course of events. Now I know its flimsy, and it sounded alot better this morning, like my singing did. I could see this being the case. The Sideways being a simple epilogue seems a little too obvious for Lost. Anyway. Have at it guys.

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: So this Idea came to me this morning. Figured I'd post it here.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:01:23 PM »
well the problem with that theory would be all the dead people being alive- charlie, libby, etc

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 03:05:59 PM »
Yeah like I said. Flimsy. However it may be explained by the fact that something they will do if they stay on their current course would cause the sideways. It would cause the sideways by eliminating the island so that none of them ever landed. They could explain it that way, and that could also be a factor in why Dead characters seem to remember first. Again, I know this one is shaky, ut I felt the need to post it because it made sense. It fits in with the "Epilogue" theory of the flash sideways, but gives it more of a purpose. Also makes reference to the Time travel experiment we had in The Constant.

Offline Folly529

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:25:33 PM »
I think there is something here, but it needs tweaking - I like the connection to the mouse's flashing

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:55:34 PM »
I like the rat connection too... maybe we'll find out that Eloise didn't go forward in time to when Daniel was going to teach her but instead went to a sideways world where Daniel had already taught it to her?

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »
I like the rat connection too... maybe we'll find out that Eloise didn't go forward in time to when Daniel was going to teach her but instead went to a sideways world where Daniel had already taught it to her?
Very nice!

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:25:18 PM »
Maybe the people in the O timeline will be able to get a sense of their lives in the X timeline from Desmond, since he's already been there.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 01:05:44 PM »
I think I see where you're going with this thought process, but the issue I have is that the on-island is 2007, and off-island is 2004. So how are the people in the future flashing forward to the past??

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »
Yeah I get hung up there too. The only explanation I have for it is the way I believe the two universes exist in relation to one another. If you don't think about time as a linear progression of numbers, (2004-2007) but instead think about it as two separate existances in two separate planes. The Universe known as Island time may be some sort of Keystone time, or True Time. We flash sideways into the Universe next door where the Island is sunk, and it happens to be 2004. What is the reason for the difference in time, or how the times came to be different, I don't know. Maybe time moves faster on the Island Universe. I know that was a popular theory back in the day. I don't know I kind of struggle with this theory, because every time I start thinking on it I feel like I am close, but it is JUST out of my grasp.

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 01:22:11 PM »
Well a few facts prove your theory...like the whole Des thing:
"I am going to cooperate with you Charles" in the time line where he usually doesn't.
and the whole
"IMMA GONNA RUN tHE HANDICAPPED GUY THAT I HAVE NEVER SEEN OVER WITH MY CAR!!!"
You know....they are sort of leaking...but not noticed that much by the characters themselves i suppose....

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »
Desmond has been and will be the key to straightening out the time lines of island time and sideways time (Even UnLocke knows this, could not kill him Desmond also saw the kid, knew unLocke was not Locke, implied, was not claimed or controlled by Un Locke by talking to him). The way to bring back the memories of island time is through love.  last night was the begining of the Sideways time converging with each of the characters, Desmond has a lot of work to do, to reunite them, then send their minds back to the island set things right for them to live in Sideways time.