Author Topic: The Pearl Hatch  (Read 9429 times)

Offline XT

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
The Pearl Hatch
« on: May 12, 2006, 11:35:47 AM »
I wanted to post and see if others picked up on the same things I saw in the Pearl Hatch.  The camera stayed on the tray with the rocks a little longer than normal as if the producers wanted us to notice something.  On the tray there is what appears to be a used cigarette.  In the orientation video you may have noticed a small plume of smoke rising from the tray on the left of your tv screen or the Dr's right side.  As if he placed a cigarette there while he filmed the orientation video.  What is the signifacance of the used cigarette being left on the tray, if that is what it is.  Did the Dharma group need to make a quick exodus from the hatch?

Also the Dr. uses a different name in the orientation video, different from the name he used in the Swan Hatch orientation video.  I think this means they had different groups of people on the island and they kept some or all of the groups permanently seperated.

I also noticed both the Dr's arm worked properly.  He rolled-up the notebook before putting it in the delivery tube, meaning I'm not convinced he has a prosthetic arm in any of the videos.

Your thought's?

Offline lost_mad

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Pearl Hatch
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 12:41:02 PM »
well maybe that video was shot before the othere orientation video althought the date was 1980!! maybe they're twins?

Offline chicagorob1

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »
The Doc might not be the same person, or a twin. He could be a clone since he uses a totally different name. It's a stretch, but it's also one of the theories that are out there about the work being done on the island.

Offline WpnX

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 08:12:39 PM »
In every new vid the doc looks younger.
Could he be teh product of the life extension project?

Offline chadley420

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 02:29:16 PM »
I think that Candle and Wickmund are one in the same.  I think that the Orientation film in the Swan hatch was filmed after the Orientation film in the Pearl.  The Swan film was on a film reel instead of VHS like the Pearl film.  Also, I could be wrong but there was no mention of the incident in the Pearl film.  This makes me think that they had to re-film the Swan Hatch Orientation film because of the incident.  Earlier, Bernard was looking for oysters to find a PEARL for Rose.  Could this have been foreshadowing the Pearl hatch?

Offline TR87sal

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 12:07:02 AM »
In the orientation film in the Pearl I didn't specifically notice that Wickmund said that the work being
done in the Swan was for nothing.  He said that the people there believe that they are working on something important.  So I guess there is a possibility that they were doing nothing but not likely.  Locke just misunderstood and made the wrong chioce in not pushing the button in the finale.  Ecko was completely right in realizing that the work in the Swan was very important.  Also, as a side note, what's the with Candle and Wick connection?  I think that the Dr.'s are the same person, but it's not a coincidence that he chose Candle and Wickmund as his names.  Just an observation.

scrod

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 12:19:15 AM »
Why does everyone assume that the dates are accurate?  Both films have undergone editing to remove some sections, the same actor/Dharma wonk uses a different name in each, they are on different media. 

It could be reasonable to assume that the dates are lies.  Besides, why would you date and copyright films used for internal training?  Are they concerned these films may leak from the craphole island out to the public domain?  (Admittedly, may be a production thing)

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 12:21:16 AM »
In the orientation film in the Pearl I didn't specifically notice that Wickmund said that the work being
done in the Swan was for nothing.  He said that the people there believe that they are working on something important.  So I guess there is a possibility that they were doing nothing but not likely.  Locke just misunderstood and made the wrong chioce in not pushing the button in the finale.  Ecko was completely right in realizing that the work in the Swan was very important.  Also, as a side note, what's the with Candle and Wick connection?  I think that the Dr.'s are the same person, but it's not a coincidence that he chose Candle and Wickmund as his names.  Just an observation.

Right, there are two parts of the video that elude to this, one says "They do not know that they are being observed, or that they are the subject of an experiment."  And he also says "You need only know that they beleive that there duty is of the utmost importance."  Very vague indeed.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 12:22:23 AM »
Why does everyone assume that the dates are accurate?  Both films have undergone editing to remove some sections, the same actor/Dharma wonk uses a different name in each, they are on different media. 

It could be reasonable to assume that the dates are lies.  Besides, why would you date and copyright films used for internal training?  Are they concerned these films may leak from the craphole island out to the public domain?  (Admittedly, may be a production thing)

Thats too much of a brain buster for me to think about... :)

scrod

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 12:27:36 AM »
Right, there are two parts of the video that elude to this, one says "They do not know that they are being observed, or that they are the subject of an experiment."  And he also says "You need only know that they beleive that there duty is of the utmost importance."  Very vague indeed.
If he told them "they are pressing a button that is the most important freaking thing on this island and if they fail it will suck you, them and every other living thing on this godforsaken island into it" they would be observing them very differently.  By not telling them the important part it keeps the experiment 'pure.'  Also they might seek to interfere and assist them somehow.

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 06:56:44 AM »
I was confused by the fact that they are supposed to be watching for just three weeks. When they found that pile of cannisters, it looked like much more than three weeks worth...!

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 08:47:55 AM »
I was confused by the fact that they are supposed to be watching for just three weeks. When they found that pile of cannisters, it looked like much more than three weeks worth...!

Well the orientation video is from the 80's right. I guess we can assume that this went on for a number of years.

scrod

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 09:41:39 AM »
I took it as 8 hour shifts for a 3 week 'tour of duty.'

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 10:04:02 AM »

Right-Right brotha

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 11:16:02 AM »

Right-Right brotha

Ditto