Author Topic: Where have all the women gone?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Where have all the women gone?
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:17:18 PM »
After Ilana's demise it came to me that  a larger proportion of women have been killed off compared  to men.  Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that the only women left are
Kate, Sun and Claire.  Penny is still in a bit part as is Eloise.
Killed off  were Shannon, Libby, Ann Lucia, Juliet, Charlotte, Ilana, Danielle, Alex,
and some wives such as Isabella, Nadia and Helen and other superfluous characters. I am not including Rose and Bernard since we have only seen them once fleetingly.

Rather main  MALE  characters still  alive and instrumental to the plot are:
Jack, Jin, Hurley,Sawyer, Sayid, Ben , Richard, Desmond,Miles ,Lapidis and from the standpoint of original characters, Locke.
Killed off males: Boone, Charlie, Michael, Eko, Daniel,  Walt is written out,
Superfluous characters like Karl, Ethan, Goodwin, Mr Friendly and most of the others, Dogen, Lennon ,Artz.

These are island deaths, not sideways.  I do hope that they can hold onto Kate,
Sun and who knows about Feral Claire.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Where have all the women gone?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
I don't think Helen was killed of.  She and Locke just broke up.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
In the main timeline, in the "Jeremy Bentham" episode, Abadon told Locke that Helen had died (of a coronary or some such thing) - of course Abadon may have been lying. 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
Not only are there only a few woman left, they are mainly on the sidelines the last 6 or so episode. Kate and Claire are just shown sitting around camp. Sun is now silenced and just following the boys around.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:40:06 AM »
Not only are there only a few woman left, they are mainly on the sidelines the last 6 or so episode. Kate and Claire are just shown sitting around camp. Sun is now silenced and just following the boys around.
Interesting, I wonder if that is a political statement :)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
they went to the ladies room ::)

Very sexist ending.    But if I am going to guess it does have to do with an issue with a woman and therefore the woman are less "important" or the need for them has been a cause of extinction.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:21:42 PM »
I for one am disappointed. I wish all of the original castaways had a bigger and more constant role. I hate seeing some of them reduced to bystanders, including saywer

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:02:35 AM »
Back when Juliet was tried by Isabel I thought there might be a matriarchy at work on the island. That sure didn't pan out.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »
I like how the season is playing out. I am treating this season as 2 seperate seasons. The first 13 episodes are all leading up to the furious 4 final episodes. I think we will be getting enough of our Losties over those episodes to tie up our story nicely. The first episodes are all just set up for me.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
Interesting, I wonder if that is a political statement :)
I think my very first post here at SW was about how there were no strong female characters. And although I posted that at the beginning of season 5, I think my aggravation over it for the previous 4 seasons tumbled into it, too. And I got a lot of guff for saying that... strangely enough, it was mostly women who didn't like my perspective. But really, when Richard calls the ability to bear children a "novelty"...?? That calls a lot of stuff into question.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
I don't think it is a politcal statement and I don't think it is a story about strong men or women, but people.   Richard's comment well, it would almost be typical of his "generation" when women were not first class.

And all the strong women are on this forum so that helps right?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
Hmmm if I told you a story about something that happened to a group of my guy friends, would I be sexist for not including any women if here were no women in the story? Clearly it's not that extreem in this case, but if the story calls for it, then that's how it will be, and god save us if our writers have to bend their writing to political correctness....but character development was the idea for the earlier episodes...now it's kill'n time....;D

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:31:09 PM »
Hmmm if I told you a story about something that happened to a group of my guy friends, would I be sexist for not including any women if here were no women in the story? Clearly it's not that extreem in this case, but if the story calls for it, then that's how it will be, and god save us if our writers have to bend their writing to political correctness....but character development was the idea for the earlier episodes...now it's kill'n time....;D

Come on Lou, Just try to tell you are not wanting more kate time!! They couldn't fit in another bath in the ocean. They had time for that story line!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »

Come on Lou, Just try to tell you are not wanting more kate time!! They couldn't fit in another bath in the ocean. They had time for that story line!
Adendum:
Except we need more Kate......and a bikini/undies scene...

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 04:53:22 PM »
I'm always a big advocate of more women. Lost has been sliding into a bit of a sausage fest.

I have another question though...what about all the minorities? They are getting killed off to the point where I'm surprised Al Sharpton hasn't chimed in.
Michael - dead
Walt - gone schooling
Ana Lucia - dead
Mr. Eko - dead
Nadia - dead
Caesar - dead my friend
Bea - dead
Bai Ling - gone tattooing
Rose - retired

All we are left with are the Kwons, Hugo, and zombie Sayid...not very diverse.