Author Topic: Unanswered Questions  (Read 10864 times)

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Unanswered Questions
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »
Darlton just said that to cover up for all the stuff they didn't address...  "Nothing to see here, move along, move along..."   :D

I'm just playing at this point -- those aren't truly "unanswered questions" but more like just odd little things I noticed.
Yup there were odd things...I will say that...but if it wasn't odd, it wouldnt make for a very good show I guess ;D

Offline feyguy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 03:23:43 PM »
Darlton just said that to cover up for all the stuff they didn't address...  "Nothing to see here, move along, move along..."   :D

I'm just playing at this point -- those aren't truly "unanswered questions" but more like just odd little things I noticed.

Didn't darlton say if you still have unanswered question you missed the point of the show...just sayin...continue...

NO i AGREE Madam P! that's just B*LL S*IT.  Missed the point my A*S.
Cowboy, sorry but if you except that you are more gullible than i ever would have thought. They Cr*ped out and gave us this lame excuse. and everyone is like" ooooh yeah, ok. it's tptb so it must be so wonderful. they are Gods ,so we should just be happy with it like they tell us to, or we "don't get it"."  way to try and make ppl feel stupid if they don't like the finale or if we don't except the fact that they strung us along and acted like they knew what they were doing.  ::)

Finally, someone says it!  Thank you Mrs Hume for the most refreshingly honest post in this forum. 

LOST was all about the mythology of the island!  Any old television series has human drama and character arcs.  LOST would not have been the phenomenon that it was if not for the mythos, and to pretend that an emotional resolution is "the point" is both smug and ridiculous.  I am astonished that more people are not more upset about the monumental letdown that was the final season of LOST (not just the final episode).  The creators strung us along for six seasons promising that there was an explanation for everything and in the end their answer is simply, "...and everyone lived happily ever after (in an ambiguous next phase of existence)."  REALLY?!?!?  Really!?!

Don't defend the series merely to make yourself feel better about investing your time and energy in a story that failed to deliver in the end.  Just like Sawyer, the creators were just really good con artists.  They led us to believe that they were going to tie it all together and then, as always, left us hanging. 

More important than there being so many unanswered questions is the fact that the series was packed with so much irrelevance and inconsistency.

First, a huge amount of time was devoted to establishing that Walt was special and that whole theme was just dropped when he left the island.  It reminded me of "The Shining."  The kid is gifted, but so what?  In neither case did the special abilities advance the story.  Red herring?  How about WASTE OF TIME!!!  I understand that the young actor Malcolm David Kelly hit puberty and that was a problem for continuity, but the writers really should have thought of that before they started down the whole “Walt is special” road!

Second and much more important, the story had two villains who were forced down our throats as heroes (Ben and Jacob) and one hero who we are expected to accept as a villain (“Smokey,” a.k.a. “Man in Black”).  Smokey a hero?!?  Perhaps not, but he really is less a villain than he is a victim.  Let’s recap his back-story.

Man in Black started out as an inquisitive youth (Boy in Black), born on the island and curious about the world “beyond the sea.”  He eventually learns that his “foster” mother killed his real mother and has been holding him against his will to fulfill a purpose he doesn’t understand or appreciate.  He decides to leave “Mother” and live amongst the men (original “Others”) marooned on the island because he thinks they may be able to find a way to get off the island.  He tries to convince his brother Jacob to come with him but Jacob is content to stay with “Mommy.”  Even after learning the truth, Samuel only kills his “foster” mother (kidnapper) after she sabotages his efforts to leave the island.  Then the poor guy is slain by his own brother Jacob, who oddly chooses to do the bidding of that crazy bitch rather than accept the truth that she is some kind of evil sorceress!  He takes her place, continuing to hold his brother (now inexplicably transformed into a smoke monster after Jacob floated his body into that glowing “heart of the island” cave) captive on the island because “Mommy” said so.  Then, he targets unwitting candidates to relieve him of his duty and in the process ruins their already troubled lives and even gets some of them killed.  Yet, Smokey/MiB is the bad guy and Jacob is the good guy?!?

Perhaps this is some kind of subtle socio-political commentary about blind allegiance begetting tragic irony but if so, that is a pretty weak basis for mind-f***ing millions of viewers for six consecutive seasons.  I think the more plausible explanation is that the show creators found themselves with a golden opportunity and blindly led fans through a labyrinth of dead ends, finally concocting an escape plan for themselves after realizing that they would no longer be able to contain dissention in the ranks of their followers. 

I have to credit my wife there.  She predicted this outcome two seasons ago and stopped watching while I, like John Locke, held onto faith that I would someday realize a purpose that did not exist.  Let’s all just admit that we were duped and move on with our lives.

Offline Bradislost09

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010, 09:49:11 AM »
I just wanted to add a little bit to a couple of these

From the end of the note I posted on Facebook:

*Why couldn't women conceive/carry to term babies on the island?
Rule made by Jacob?  He brought who he wanted to the island.  He didnt want people making new people.

Just like it was said here, Jacob brings people to the island because he is searching for a new candidate.  Having people reproduce is counter productive to this since Jacob is searching for someone who is not a parent to be a candidate.  He removed Kate from the list because she was a mother, although she could have still taken it if she wanted.

*How did MIB become Smokey? Yet, Jack and Desmond and Hurley all went into the cavern and didn't become smoke monsters. Why MIB? Why didn't Jack become white smoke?
MIB was sent into the cavern by Jacob.  Jack and Desmond went there on there own regards.  They thought they were doing good. IT was not MIB's time to die so the island turned him into the monster that his soul really was.

I have a different theory on this one.  Desmond and Hurley are easy.  Desmond is immune to the electromagnetism.  Hurley never went all the way down into the cavern, just to the precipice.

Jack is not as simple.  It could be because he went there for good, but I'm not so sure about that.  It could be something with the way an electromagnetic field works, it has magnetic AND direction.  MiB floated towards the source of the field and Jack (was it was replugged) only went away from the field, although there are some holes in this theory and I doubt this is the case.  

I like to think that when he went in, it was unplugged so there was no danger.  As for why he didn't turn into the monster when he plugged it, it could be because by doing so his powers as the new Jacob were restored to him and made him immune.  

THIS!  So Happy someone posted this.
[/quote]

I hate that I am still commenting on this stuff.  But I had to reply to this one.  The reason is that there can only be one smoke monster at a time.  The women who raised Jakob and MIB was a smoke monster.  That is how she buried the well and wiped out that entire village. Once she was killed, it left a void and MIB was able to become the smoke monster.  There can only be on at a time. 

Offline Bradislost09

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »

Didn't darlton say if you still have unanswered question you missed the point of the show...just sayin...continue...

NO i AGREE Madam P! that's just B*LL S*IT.  Missed the point my A*S.
Cowboy, sorry but if you except that you are more gullible than i ever would have thought. They Cr*ped out and gave us this lame excuse. and everyone is like" ooooh yeah, ok. it's tptb so it must be so wonderful. they are Gods ,so we should just be happy with it like they tell us to, or we "don't get it"."  way to try and make ppl feel stupid if they don't like the finale or if we don't except the fact that they strung us along and acted like they knew what they were doing.  ::)

Finally, someone says it!  Thank you Mrs Hume for the most refreshingly honest post in this forum. 

LOST was all about the mythology of the island!  Any old television series has human drama and character arcs.  LOST would not have been the phenomenon that it was if not for the mythos, and to pretend that an emotional resolution is "the point" is both smug and ridiculous.  I am astonished that more people are not more upset about the monumental letdown that was the final season of LOST (not just the final episode).  The creators strung us along for six seasons promising that there was an explanation for everything and in the end their answer is simply, "...and everyone lived happily ever after (in an ambiguous next phase of existence)."  REALLY?!?!?  Really!?!

Don't defend the series merely to make yourself feel better about investing your time and energy in a story that failed to deliver in the end.  Just like Sawyer, the creators were just really good con artists.  They led us to believe that they were going to tie it all together and then, as always, left us hanging. 

More important than there being so many unanswered questions is the fact that the series was packed with so much irrelevance and inconsistency.

First, a huge amount of time was devoted to establishing that Walt was special and that whole theme was just dropped when he left the island.  It reminded me of "The Shining."  The kid is gifted, but so what?  In neither case did the special abilities advance the story.  Red herring?  How about WASTE OF TIME!!!  I understand that the young actor Malcolm David Kelly hit puberty and that was a problem for continuity, but the writers really should have thought of that before they started down the whole “Walt is special” road!

Second and much more important, the story had two villains who were forced down our throats as heroes (Ben and Jacob) and one hero who we are expected to accept as a villain (“Smokey,” a.k.a. “Man in Black”).  Smokey a hero?!?  Perhaps not, but he really is less a villain than he is a victim.  Let’s recap his back-story.

Man in Black started out as an inquisitive youth (Boy in Black), born on the island and curious about the world “beyond the sea.”  He eventually learns that his “foster” mother killed his real mother and has been holding him against his will to fulfill a purpose he doesn’t understand or appreciate.  He decides to leave “Mother” and live amongst the men (original “Others”) marooned on the island because he thinks they may be able to find a way to get off the island.  He tries to convince his brother Jacob to come with him but Jacob is content to stay with “Mommy.”  Even after learning the truth, Samuel only kills his “foster” mother (kidnapper) after she sabotages his efforts to leave the island.  Then the poor guy is slain by his own brother Jacob, who oddly chooses to do the bidding of that crazy bitch rather than accept the truth that she is some kind of evil sorceress!  He takes her place, continuing to hold his brother (now inexplicably transformed into a smoke monster after Jacob floated his body into that glowing “heart of the island” cave) captive on the island because “Mommy” said so.  Then, he targets unwitting candidates to relieve him of his duty and in the process ruins their already troubled lives and even gets some of them killed.  Yet, Smokey/MiB is the bad guy and Jacob is the good guy?!?

Perhaps this is some kind of subtle socio-political commentary about blind allegiance begetting tragic irony but if so, that is a pretty weak basis for mind-f***ing millions of viewers for six consecutive seasons.  I think the more plausible explanation is that the show creators found themselves with a golden opportunity and blindly led fans through a labyrinth of dead ends, finally concocting an escape plan for themselves after realizing that they would no longer be able to contain dissention in the ranks of their followers. 

I have to credit my wife there.  She predicted this outcome two seasons ago and stopped watching while I, like John Locke, held onto faith that I would someday realize a purpose that did not exist.  Let’s all just admit that we were duped and move on with our lives.

I just need say that I AGREE!!  With everthing said in this entire post.  I was as die hard a fan as anyone out there.  I was dissapointed.  I assure you "I got it" "it" was just lame.  I have already spelled out my feelings in an entire post so I will not do it again.  I just know the importance of having true fans agree with your point of view, and I do.  That is all!

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2010, 12:24:49 PM »
Okay here's the thing. The thing is here. As fans we are allowed to like a show for reasons that we ourselves determine. Some people like LOST because of the Mysteries, and some people like it because of the character development. Some people liked the mysteries, but understood the show had its characters at its core, and some people thought the character stuff got in the way. Those are all opinions that you are allowed to form for yourself. What you cannot form for yourself is what the writer's intended the show to be about. To all the people arguing about who's right and who's wrong need only to look at the evidence at hand. I get that some people are upset with the way it ended, and that's just too bad. The writers ended the show the way they wanted to end the show. The characters we grew to love all had closure to their stories (as puberty would allow in the realm of story telling of course). As a writer I understand that they are really the only ones who have concrete answers on anything. If they say this show was all about the characters, which they said as early as season 2, then it is a character driven story around the setting of a mysterious island that is the source of everything good in the world. You can challenge that all you want and say that the intention was otherwise and changed over the course of the show, but that is the nature of writing. It is an organic experience. Just because something about a show intrigued you and then you felt disappointed when the reveal came, does not mean that it was intended to con, it just means you were focusing on the wrong part of the show. Alright well I am done for now. Carry on.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 09:53:19 PM »
Okay here's the thing. The thing is here. As fans we are allowed to like a show for reasons that we ourselves determine. Some people like LOST because of the Mysteries, and some people like it because of the character development. Some people liked the mysteries, but understood the show had its characters at its core, and some people thought the character stuff got in the way. Those are all opinions that you are allowed to form for yourself. What you cannot form for yourself is what the writer's intended the show to be about. To all the people arguing about who's right and who's wrong need only to look at the evidence at hand. I get that some people are upset with the way it ended, and that's just too bad. The writers ended the show the way they wanted to end the show. The characters we grew to love all had closure to their stories (as puberty would allow in the realm of story telling of course). As a writer I understand that they are really the only ones who have concrete answers on anything. If they say this show was all about the characters, which they said as early as season 2, then it is a character driven story around the setting of a mysterious island that is the source of everything good in the world. You can challenge that all you want and say that the intention was otherwise and changed over the course of the show, but that is the nature of writing. It is an organic experience. Just because something about a show intrigued you and then you felt disappointed when the reveal came, does not mean that it was intended to con, it just means you were focusing on the wrong part of the show. Alright well I am done for now. Carry on.

Very well stated.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010, 11:14:22 AM »

IAJ I agree but seriously are people still whining about this?  We all agree to disagree! ;D