Author Topic: Was Michael the MIB?  (Read 5048 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Was Michael the MIB?
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »
First, let me say I think the answer is no. However, we know Locke has wanted and needed to get all the candidates together. Then Michael *poof* shows up and tells Hurley to 1) don't blow up the plane, and 2) march everyone over to Locke.

If it wasn't MIB (and I could think of a half dozen reasons why its not) then he sure as hell was doing exactly what MIB would have done.

Any thoughts?

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Was Michael the MIB?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:36 PM »
That was my thought too. However, MIB wants all of them together and what better way to do it than to have Ana Lucia or Libby appear to Hurley. Hurley would trust them and do whatever they said. Using Michael would have been a risk since hurley may or may not decide to trust him.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
I'm not going to go too far in argueing the point, because I don't buy it, but to play devil's advocate...Hurley probably would have had a lot more questions for someone like Libby and may have sensed it wasn't really her. With Michael, the natural dislike and awkwardness probably played into his favor.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
that's true too! I believed when I saw that scene that it was MIB so I will go with my first instinct and beleive it was MIB. He needs them all together. Besides every other person that is seen alive on the island after death (Alex, for example) has been the MIB so why should this be any different?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:11:21 PM »
that's true too! I believed when I saw that scene that it was MIB so I will go with my first instinct and beleive it was MIB. He needs them all together. Besides every other person that is seen alive on the island after death (Alex, for example) has been the MIB so why should this be any different?

Well one of the reasons was that Illana said MIB couldn't change form anymore. Back then she seemed to know what she was talking about, but after she pulled an Artz, maybe she's not that reliable.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
Oh yeah, that's right. So MIB is MIB and Michael was Michael! another mystery solved! (hopefully :D)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
But is it right? IS IT??

Illana may have been wrong. Seems she may have been wrong about Richard knowing what to do, and she definitely was wrong in how to handle old dynomite. I've been argueing myself on this one since last night. I need some help before I have to move to Santa Rosa for schizophrenia.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
I'll be right with you in Santa Rosa! This show ties my brain up in knots! On Wednesdays I am bewildered, confused, and wanting more Lost!! You are right about Illana--she really seemed to do everything wrong! I am at a loss and hopefully either another poster will clear things up or we get the answer in one of the very few upcoming episodes! It would fit that MIB is Michael. Michael was once used (by the others) to bring the Losties into danger. MIB wants all the candidates together. However, following that logic makes Hurley a poor leader as he is doing the wrong thing by leading them all to MIB. I want to believe that Hurley is doing the right thing and Jack is right to finally sit back and let others lead. That actually fits better with the storyline TPTB are writing IMHO. So unless told otherwise it must of been Michael trying to redeem his past wrongs by helping out Hurley! Does that make sense?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:53:11 PM »
MIB cannot take over anyone else's body he is stuck in Locke's.  They made this very clear.

Michael = the island and what the island is all about. 

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:55:13 PM »
We didn't hear the "Smoke Monster" noise before Michael showed up. We heard the whispers instead. So I'll vote "no" on Michael being MIB (or vise versa lol)

Offline Adriana

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:34:33 PM »
We didn't hear the "Smoke Monster" noise before Michael showed up. We heard the whispers instead. So I'll vote "no" on Michael being MIB (or vise versa lol)

Ditto.  I thought one of the major points of the entire scenes was to finally explain what the whispers meant.  The whispers were distinctly different from the clanky mechanics sounds when MIB/smoke monster shows up.  Michael's purpose was to check off one of the LOST mysteries and move it to the "answered" column.

The writers must have thought that fans were really dying for an explanation of the whispers, but one of my thoughts after that scene was that I wouldn't have minded if it had remained unanswered.  Ah well. 

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:19:13 AM »
MIB cannot take over anyone else's body he is stuck in Locke's.  They made this very clear.

Michael = the island and what the island is all about. 

First, it was only "made clear" because Illana said so. She also thought it was a good idea to drop a bag of 150 year old dynomite, so I don't know how reliable she can really be.

Also, I don't see how Michael = the island. Why isn't it Michael = Michael? Now the afterlife may make you privy to some information which is why he was convincing Hurley to listen. But, if (theoretically) Michael was MIB or one of his minions, then he would have told Hurley exactly what he did tell him.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »
Michael visited Hurly because he made a deal with MiB to be able to "pass on" once everyone is off the island, Michael is still a douche looking out for whats best for him

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
Michael visited Hurly because he made a deal with MiB to be able to "pass on" once everyone is off the island, Michael is still a douche looking out for whats best for him

I agree. I thought it too much of a coincidence that Michael "couldn't leave" the island....and MIB "can't leave" the island. Somehow if Michael helps MIB to leave, he can leave too (whatever that means). Might be a deal, might be that MIB being on the island just somehow keeps Michael (and others like him) on the island.

I am taking it at face value that when Ilana said MIB can't take the form of another body, she was accurate. That and the fact that we did not hear the clickety-clack patented Smokey sound points to Michael being just his dead, selfish, highly annoying self.

Offline The Boy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »

I agree. I thought it too much of a coincidence that Michael "couldn't leave" the island....and MIB "can't leave" the island. Somehow if Michael helps MIB to leave, he can leave too (whatever that means). Might be a deal, might be that MIB being on the island just somehow keeps Michael (and others like him) on the island.

I am taking it at face value that when Ilana said MIB can't take the form of another body, she was accurate. That and the fact that we did not hear the clickety-clack patented Smokey sound points to Michael being just his dead, selfish, highly annoying self.

I like this...We didn't hear the "clickety-clack"