Author Topic: Next week's promo  (Read 3049 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Next week's promo
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »
What was that ranting "soundtrack" to next week's promo?

It reminded me of something from the movie "Repo Man" -- the 1980's Emelio Estevez cult movie, not the 2010 organ-harvesting movie.  [There was a guy driving around with a nuclear bomb in the trunk of his car and it made him crazy.]

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Next week's promo
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
What was that ranting "soundtrack" to next week's promo?

It reminded me of something from the movie "Repo Man" -- the 1980's Emelio Estevez cult movie, not the 2010 organ-harvesting movie.  [There was a guy driving around with a nuclear bomb in the trunk of his car and it made him crazy.]

RM!! I am severely disappointed. Willy Wonka Man, come on.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
It was a song from Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory (with Gene Wilder from 1971).  Totally creepy part of the movie.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:56:14 PM »
In fact, I can't just leave it at that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zail7Gdqro

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:12:01 AM »
It was awesome....

Offline lostjava

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
    Willy Wonka

[singsongy]:

There's no earthly way of knowing
    Which direction we are going

[apprehensive, now spoken]

Not a speck of light is showing
    So the danger must be growing
    Are the fires of hell a-glowing?
    Is the grisly reaper mowing?
    Yes! The danger must be growing!

[yelling]

And they're certainly not showing
    Any signs that they are slowing!

[screams]

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »
Just for the sake of the extra-creepy factor, here is Marilyn Manson's "version" of it off of their first album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXPNpEbZVE

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »
The music selection - even the larger allusion - makes perfect sense.  In Willy Wonka, a man brings children to his candy factory and tests each "candidate" to choose his heir.  The point of the fantastic story was to see who would take over for Wonka and run the factory by showing that they were truly good when faced with temptation.  The final candidate, Charlie, had to be "good."  There was even the evil counter to Wonka (Jacob), was his rival Slugworth (MIB).  That music was not a throw-away or simple crazy tone piece, that was very much in the spirit of the whole story.

MIB just has to tempt each candidate and the biggest temptation is the leave the island.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
The music selection - even the larger allusion - makes perfect sense.  In Willy Wonka, a man brings children to his candy factory and tests each "candidate" to choose his heir.  The point of the fantastic story was to see who would take over for Wonka and run the factory by showing that they were truly good when faced with temptation.  The final candidate, Charlie, had to be "good."  There was even the evil counter to Wonka (Jacob), was his rival Slugworth (MIB).  That music was not a throw-away or simple crazy tone piece, that was very much in the spirit of the whole story.

MIB just has to tempt each candidate and the biggest temptation is the leave the island.

Are you considering this a direct comparison (or whatever LOL) because if so, then that would mean that MIB "works" for Jacob, because Slugworth worked for Willy Wonka.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:11:02 PM »

Excellent first post, sobrien.  I dig it.

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »

Are you considering this a direct comparison (or whatever LOL) because if so, then that would mean that MIB "works" for Jacob, because Slugworth worked for Willy Wonka.

Maybe "works for" is a bit too specific, but certainly that would be a twist no stranger than many other twists.  MIB is Jacob's opposition to test the candidates - clearly they have shown they have a long relationship - a level of rule following allowing some to be led astray yet forbids certain actions toward each other or other candidates.  I see it more as committed (because of the game) to play his part in Jacob's machinations.  I have to believe the simple enemy relationship - the good versus evil - is too simple for this narrative.

MIB cannot leave the island, but Jacob has.  It is as if MIB's only real purpose has been in his relationship to the island, Jacob, and the candidates.  Slugworth's purpose was similarly defined in a strict context; as a creation of Wonka for Wonka's purposes in Wonka's world.

I have to believe the Wonka reference is a hint.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 04:56:58 PM »

Maybe "works for" is a bit too specific, but certainly that would be a twist no stranger than many other twists.  MIB is Jacob's opposition to test the candidates - clearly they have shown they have a long relationship - a level of rule following allowing some to be led astray yet forbids certain actions toward each other or other candidates.  I see it more as committed (because of the game) to play his part in Jacob's machinations.  I have to believe the simple enemy relationship - the good versus evil - is too simple for this narrative.

MIB cannot leave the island, but Jacob has.  It is as if MIB's only real purpose has been in his relationship to the island, Jacob, and the candidates.  Slugworth's purpose was similarly defined in a strict context; as a creation of Wonka for Wonka's purposes in Wonka's world.

There are others too. Like, the first thing that jumps out at me is that you can't get to the island unless you're invited.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:33 PM »
I confess its been at least 10 years since I've seen the Gene Wilder version of Willy Wonka, but didn't the kids get the invitation to the factory by buying a candy bar with a winning ticket either inside or printed on the golden label?  I'm just thinking of this in reference to "the golden pass Oceanic gave us" that Jack uses to fly on weekends, hoping for another plane crash. 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »
I confess its been at least 10 years since I've seen the Gene Wilder version of Willy Wonka, but didn't the kids get the invitation to the factory by buying a candy bar with a winning ticket either inside or printed on the golden label?  I'm just thinking of this in reference to "the golden pass Oceanic gave us" that Jack uses to fly on weekends, hoping for another plane crash. 

OH SNAP!! I totally forgot about the golden pass. LOL, you're right.

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »

There are others too. Like, the first thing that jumps out at me is that you can't get to the island unless you're invited.

...and the island has different stations like the chocolate factory had different rooms for different experiments...