Author Topic: Book Hurley came across  (Read 3252 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Book Hurley came across
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »
More bad reception.

What was the red book that Hurley came across just before he saw Miles' bag of stolent-stolen diamonds?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Book Hurley came across
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:13:30 PM »
Yeah I couldn't see the title either. WAS that the bag of diamonds? It looked like it, but I don't know what about diamonds would cause the epiphany feeling Hurley had.

Offline sonofsuns34

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
I thought he found the bag with Jacobs ashes in it...
If I were Miles I wouldn't leave a bag of diamonds laying around...

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:32:33 PM »
I heard rattling.  Ashes don't rattle....  Do they?   No, they don't.  That was the imfamous bag-o-diamonds.

Offline gr3gg3r

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
I thought it was the white and black stones Jack got off the two dead people in the caves way back in season one, but I'm not sure.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
whose stuff was Hurley looking through?  Why would he look through Miles things if Miles is right there?  But why would Ilana have the diamonds?  It had to have been Ilana's things so I'm thinking it must have been the ashes.

Offline spencer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
no, no, Miles has the diamonds; the bag that Hurley found was Jacob's ashes, a weapon he may use against the MIB

Offline spencer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:15:25 PM »
And according to Doc Jensen, the book is Dostoyevsky's NOTES FROM THE UNDERGROUND.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »
And according to Doc Jensen, the book is Dostoyevsky's NOTES FROM THE UNDERGROUND.

Thanks mate. He wrote that while imprisoned i think.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »
Lostpedia says that the bag contained Jacob's ashes, and it was Ilana's bag.  The one she filled from the foot of the statue.  Not sure where they got the information conclusively, but it makes sense since Alana's bag would have been there.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
Just got a positive ID on the book.   Dostoevsky's 'Notes From The Underground'

Also some good evidence that he bag was Alana's bag, since it was with the Russian book.

Interesting thing about this existential book from Wikipedia:

War is described as people's rebellion against the assumption that everything needs to happen for a purpose, because humans do things without purpose, and this is what determines human history.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:04:35 PM by zeekloveslost »

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 10:19:33 PM »
good and interesting book

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:34:29 PM »
no, no, Miles has the diamonds; the bag that Hurley found was Jacob's ashes, a weapon he may use against the MIB

my vote is Jake's ashes...

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 12:27:06 AM »

I would bet any amount of money that it is Jacob's ashes. It was found in Illana's stuff and the bag is exactly the same. Plus, Hurley is already richer than Bill Gates, he probably has a whole room of diamonds back home.

Offline Xentro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 05:27:28 AM »

I would bet any amount of money that it is Jacob's ashes. It was found in Illana's stuff and the bag is exactly the same. Plus, Hurley is already richer than Bill Gates, he probably has a whole room of diamonds back home.

I agree on the ashes.

Just got a positive ID on the book.   Dostoevsky's 'Notes From The Underground'

Also some good evidence that he bag was Alana's bag, since it was with the Russian book.

Interesting thing about this existential book from Wikipedia:

War is described as people's rebellion against the assumption that everything needs to happen for a purpose, because humans do things without purpose, and this is what determines human history.

There are a lot of interesting things to be sad about the names of the characters. A lot of them are philosophers: Locke, Rousseau, Hume, Burke

For instance Hume said:

He argues that the "order of Nature" is the most prominent argument is that believers use to prove the existence of God. Hume draws the existence of God is not in doubt, but he uses the argument to show that it can not be certain that God is absolute good and forgiving.

The only evidence we have of God is the existence of the world, and the world is evil and chaos. And because we are God's existence only as the cause of the world know there must be no God-given qualities that are not needed to create the world. We know the cause only by his retinue, and thus may cause only be seen with the attributes that make it possible to produce the result. Hume does not say that God is not perfect, but he argues that claim is merely speculative and never can be proved. Because the task of a philosopher, according to Hume is harvesting of reason, they should not be given importance to the belief in God or a perfect paradise.

This is close to lost ...