Author Topic: Desmond and the well, and...  (Read 4879 times)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond and the well, and...
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 05:26:01 PM »
The Egyptians didn't know compassess, so would not have spinning needles.
The well where Locke went in was closed with earth when the Losties reached 1974.
Sawyer jumped in it.
I never understood why Chang said there was a lot of electromagnetism near the wheel that
would kill people and Locke and Ben just went in that cave.

This is just me splitting hairs, but he didn't say that, he said it was "negatively charged exotic matter". MIB said last episode that this place made compass needles spin, Inferring that it was electormagnetivity.

Daniel said it was electromagnetic energy.
FARADAY: A man is on a stretcher as a consequence of the electromagnetic activity that your drilling unleashed down here.
[Metal thud]
DR. CHANG: Which is now contained.
FARADAY: It's contained down here. But in about six hours, the same thing is gonna happen at the site for the Swan station, only the energy there is about 30,000 times more powerful, sir. And the accident... it's gonna be catastrophic.

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
It's funny you mention this, I just had the same conversation with a friend. I personally believe that Desmond is aware of both timelines in both timelines, and it would be AWESOME if Desmond ran over Locke out of spite for throwing him down the well, but I think that it is actually just to get him to see Jack at the hospital.
I thought he hit Locke to give him a "near death experience" like Charlie did to him to unlock a sideways universe vision.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 12:02:35 PM »
The Egyptians didn't know compassess, so would not have spinning needles.
The well where Locke went in was closed with earth when the Losties reached 1974.
Sawyer jumped in it.
I never understood why Chang said there was a lot of electromagnetism near the wheel that
would kill people and Locke and Ben just went in that cave.

This is just me splitting hairs, but he didn't say that, he said it was "negatively charged exotic matter". MIB said last episode that this place made compass needles spin, Inferring that it was electormagnetivity.

Daniel said it was electromagnetic energy.
FARADAY: A man is on a stretcher as a consequence of the electromagnetic activity that your drilling unleashed down here.
[Metal thud]
DR. CHANG: Which is now contained.
FARADAY: It's contained down here. But in about six hours, the same thing is gonna happen at the site for the Swan station, only the energy there is about 30,000 times more powerful, sir. And the accident... it's gonna be catastrophic.

Hmmmmmm, well, I could be a total baggadouche here and say that Chang didn't actually say it, Farraday did, but I'll submit. LOL I thought you were talking about the video tape that Locke watched in the Orchid station.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 03:58:05 PM »
I think this is a different well. MIB mentioned it last night. He said something to the effect that there were a few wells on the island.

This is kinda nitpicky, but I think what he actually said was that there were a few more "places like this" (what he had just described as pockets of something that makes compasses go wonky) on the island -- I don't think he specifically said "wells."  But that doesn't mean they might not also all be wells, too.

I'm also not sure that we can say Egyptians had no knowledge of compasses, can we?  I dunno -- I'm not Charlotte.  But a compass is a pretty simple thing to make -- all you need is a leaf and a metal needle.  Did they have metal needles?

As an aside, I still wanta see the scene where the Dharma-folks harnessed up a polar bear and made it turn the donkey wheel.  I agree that's what we're supposed to think they did, based on Charlotte's collar-find in Tunisia, but honestly, isn't harnessing a polar bear kinda like belling a cat, only times about a million?  Why didn't they just use a donkey, for cryin' out loud?  It IS a donkey-wheel, after all.  LOL.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 04:15:24 PM »
I think this is a different well. MIB mentioned it last night. He said something to the effect that there were a few wells on the island.

This is kinda nitpicky, but I think what he actually said was that there were a few more "places like this" (what he had just described as pockets of something that makes compasses go wonky) on the island -- I don't think he specifically said "wells."  But that doesn't mean they might not also all be wells, too.

I'm also not sure that we can say Egyptians had no knowledge of compasses, can we?  I dunno -- I'm not Charlotte.  But a compass is a pretty simple thing to make -- all you need is a leaf and a metal needle.  Did they have metal needles?

As an aside, I still wanta see the scene where the Dharma-folks harnessed up a polar bear and made it turn the donkey wheel.  I agree that's what we're supposed to think they did, based on Charlotte's collar-find in Tunisia, but honestly, isn't harnessing a polar bear kinda like belling a cat, only times about a million?  Why didn't they just use a donkey, for cryin' out loud?  It IS a donkey-wheel, after all.  LOL.

The full transcript for this episode isn't up yet, so I went and got the episode going on ABC.com, and this is exactly what he says Madam P...

"The reason I wanted you to see this Desmond is because Charles Widmore is not interested in answers. He's only interested in power; and he brought you back to this island so that you could help him find what he's looking for. After all, this isn't the only well."

As for the compass, well, I found something that said...

The earliest-known compass dates from China, during the Han Dynasty (2nd century BC - 2nd century AD). I have a few things to do at work today, so if you want to see if that corresponds to something in Ancient Egypt, knock yourself out.

As for the harnessing a polar bear thing. Something just occurred to me. Let's assume they did manage to get the thing collared, how did they get it down into the cave?? Unless they didn't use it to turn the wheel, but to test the chamber, and something went wrong (or right depending on the experiment), and the bear vanished.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 04:26:32 PM »
Thanks for the "well" quote, Bob -- good deal!  I mis-remembered. 

***picturing the contraption necessary to lower either a polar bear OR a donkey down into the well...***   :D

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 05:54:24 AM »
I don't think the D.I used the wheel.
They used the energy to test timetravel on animals.
I think that's how the bear ended in Tunesia.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
And this begs the question... WHY DID NOBODY IN THE DHARMA INITIATIVE EVER TURN THE WHEEL?

We don't know that they didn't really. I implied they found the wheel, so they must have figured that it did SOMETHING, but in the episode where we see Chang talking to the guy who was drilling into the wall, there is a radar/x-ray thing that shows the wheel in the rock. Chang tells the guy that he can't dig any further because the release of the energy could destroy them or whatever he implies. So, did Dharma never actually reach the wheel?? Or is this just a continuity problem?? So, is there maybe more than one wheel?? Or did Dharma use the well as access??

Also, in the scenes for next week, we see Desmond just sitting at the bottom of the well, so I don't think the well leads anywhere in particular.

I believe Chang said that had to follow certain rules  and the x-ray shot of that showed the frozen donkey wheel.  Again perhaps I am the only one seeing this, but this all leads to the fact that DI was allowed to be there and had "rules" to abide by.  The stations were strategically placed to run experiments.   

I still hold that Widmore was the primary person who negotiated the islands property wtih the DI and had other folks ouff the island invetested or involved.  Let us face it Richard is the negotiateor for the DI conversations, and when they bring Jughead in they know exactly where to break inot the house.  Additioanlly Ben had the home with the secret door to the chamber which released the Cracken - And that door was pretty well covered with Hieroglyphics.  So anyway we go back to here is Widmore on the island with his new gang of merry scientist and they are looking for the pockets of electromagnetism.  hmmmm needle thread sewing.... or connecting dots and i see a patter.  ;D