Author Topic: Desmond and the well, and...  (Read 4862 times)

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond and the well, and...
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 09:27:12 PM »
I think this is a different well. MIB mentioned it last night. He said something to the effect that there were a few wells on the island.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 09:30:26 PM »
Or that the well has been there on and off a few times?

Offline jgabriel

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 09:43:57 PM »
Maybe that one well hadn't been dug yet by the statue people when they went back in time. Maybe that one was built by Dharma people, who knows?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 01:11:08 AM »
Flocke didn't hang around long enough after pushing Des down the well...Des unique magnetic properties made him bounce back up out of the well...

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 09:14:11 AM »
It couldn't have been Dharma that built this well. MIB said the people who dug it dug it with their hands. Dharma wouldn't do that. And this well couldn't be the one that leads to the wheel chamber because the Orchid station is over that one. Its a completely different well. Deal with it. :D

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »
I think it's the well that leads to the donkey wheel.  I can't picture people randomly digging in electromagnetic spots and deciding to turn them into wells in the middle of nowhere.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »
I think it's the well that leads to the donkey wheel.  I can't picture people randomly digging in electromagnetic spots and deciding to turn them into wells in the middle of nowhere.
What if they all lead to the wheel? If thats the same well that Locke fell down in Follow The Leader, then where is the Orchid? This is post Dharma so it would be there if it was the same one.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 11:05:10 AM »
Wait a minute.  After Locke fell down the well and Sawyer was freaking out trying to pull him back up, they flashed to statue time quickly, right?  Well at that point the well was not dug, it was just a rope going into the ground, the well was not dug by the statue people.  I think it was dug by Dharma because they eventually found the donkey wheel and built the orchid over it.  Am I remembering that wrong?

It makes more sense to think that after they flashed from the time of the statue, and it was just a rope sticking out of the ground, that someone else dug the well and found the wheel. Dharma then finds the well and tracks the energy, and decides to build the Orchid station over it.

Offline stillhaventfound

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »
And this begs the question... WHY DID NOBODY IN THE DHARMA INITIATIVE EVER TURN THE WHEEL?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
And this begs the question... WHY DID NOBODY IN THE DHARMA INITIATIVE EVER TURN THE WHEEL?

We don't know that they didn't really. I implied they found the wheel, so they must have figured that it did SOMETHING, but in the episode where we see Chang talking to the guy who was drilling into the wall, there is a radar/x-ray thing that shows the wheel in the rock. Chang tells the guy that he can't dig any further because the release of the energy could destroy them or whatever he implies. So, did Dharma never actually reach the wheel?? Or is this just a continuity problem?? So, is there maybe more than one wheel?? Or did Dharma use the well as access??

Also, in the scenes for next week, we see Desmond just sitting at the bottom of the well, so I don't think the well leads anywhere in particular.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »
Wasn't it implied that Dharma had a polar bear turn the wheel?  That's why Charlotte found the collar with the dharma logo in the desert.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »
Wasn't it implied that Dharma had a polar bear turn the wheel?  That's why Charlotte found the collar with the dharma logo in the desert.

Indeed. Not that I forgot about the polar bear, I was just more focused on it not being the same well.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
The Egyptians didn't know compassess, so would not have spinning needles.
The well where Locke went in was closed with earth when the Losties reached 1974.
Sawyer jumped in it.
I never understood why Chang said there was a lot of electromagnetism near the wheel that
would kill people and Locke and Ben just went in that cave.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »
The Egyptians didn't know compassess, so would not have spinning needles.
The well where Locke went in was closed with earth when the Losties reached 1974.
Sawyer jumped in it.
I never understood why Chang said there was a lot of electromagnetism near the wheel that
would kill people and Locke and Ben just went in that cave.

This is just me splitting hairs, but he didn't say that, he said it was "negatively charged exotic matter". MIB said last episode that this place made compass needles spin, Inferring that it was electormagnetivity.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 05:06:12 PM »
As someone mentioned - polar bear...  The bigger question is, since Dharma seemingly did turn the wheel, what time was the Island in before that and where did it end up?  And after the turned the wheel, did it end up off axis (the state it was in for the time jumps before Locke fixed it)?