Author Topic: Dynamite on the Black Rock  (Read 6530 times)

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamite on the Black Rock
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 01:27:35 PM »
I don't think Ilana thinks it's cool.  She trained for it and was given a mission by Jacob and never really completed it.  You can debate the semantics of it, but there's something extremely cold about devoting yourself to protecting Jacob and the island, and when it doesn't need you anymore then boom.  Jack and Richard can't even try to kill themselves.  I don't see any point for Ilana's character other than to show the danger of putting your faith in the island and Jacob.

Yeah once again this is NOT on Jacob. She said herself she had been training her whole life for that...Yet doesn't even know that you cant treat 150 year old sticks of Dyno like your backpack in 8th grade. She was completely careless with it. All on her. Artz blew while he was being SUPER careful. IIlana actually got a little extra leeway in that regard. She should have gone with the first water bottle slammed on top of the pile.

this might sound like I'm really stretching it to fit my needs, but Illana was closer to the survivors when she was initially banging the stuff around, and then walked away over to the water bottles, and then dropped the bag, so maybe the dynamite didn't go off because it would have killed Jack and them.

Sounds plausible

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 01:28:09 PM »
I don't think Ilana thinks it's cool.  She trained for it and was given a mission by Jacob and never really completed it.  You can debate the semantics of it, but there's something extremely cold about devoting yourself to protecting Jacob and the island, and when it doesn't need you anymore then boom.  Jack and Richard can't even try to kill themselves.  I don't see any point for Ilana's character other than to show the danger of putting your faith in the island and Jacob.

Yeah once again this is NOT on Jacob. She said herself she had been training her whole life for that...Yet doesn't even know that you cant treat 150 year old sticks of Dyno like your backpack in 8th grade. She was completely careless with it. All on her. Artz blew while he was being SUPER careful. IIlana actually got a little extra leeway in that regard. She should have gone with the first water bottle slammed on top of the pile.

this might sound like I'm really stretching it to fit my needs, but Illana was closer to the survivors when she was initially banging the stuff around, and then walked away over to the water bottles, and then dropped the bag, so maybe the dynamite didn't go off because it would have killed Jack and them.

Brilliant. Not much is too far of a stretch for LOST.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 01:36:24 PM »

I see your point.  But how do we know that death was a bad thing?  What if she did do what she was intended to do and the island now let her die and move on to some place better?  Maybe Jacob now needs her to be dead, so she can see something in her afterlife that she needs to share with Hurley.  After all, we know there is some kind of afterlife.  What if Jacob needs to her to experience the afterlife?  I'm not saying this is totally my theory, but letís not jump to conclusions.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »
So it looks as if TPTB realized that Dynamite wasn't around in 1845 (when the 1st mates journal said the Black Rock set sail from England) and had the boat set sail from the Canary islands the same year dynamite was invented by Nobel, 1867... and now it is a moot point cus Hurley blew everything up!

p.s. Who in their right mind would drop a bag full of 150 year old dynamite!

You have to remember Ilana said she was "trained for this". Which begs to ask - where do you train to deal with 150 year old dynamite? Is there a special base somewhere?

"Welcome to the Antiquated Ammunition Retreival and Transport Zone (AARTZ). Here you will spend the next three months studying, transporting and working with very old explosives. I will tell you now - some of you won't make it. Those who do will be highly trained. If you feel your nerves won't allow you to take this training, there is no shame in backing out now."

LOL.  BRILLIANT!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:D :D :D :D :D Very clever!

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 03:11:47 PM »
I love this discussion because this happens in our world/reality all the time. If something good happens it was influenced by a god. If something bad happens to you, it is a result of your own actions.

My aunt got better after her illness because God saved her. (Not because of the body's healing abilities or doctor's actions)
My house got robbed because I didn't lock up correctly. (Not because God wanted it to be robbed)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
I love this discussion because this happens in our world/reality all the time. If something good happens it was influenced by a god. If something bad happens to you, it is a result of your own actions.

My aunt got better after her illness because God saved her. (Not because of the body's healing abilities or doctor's actions)
My house got robbed because I didn't lock up correctly. (Not because God wanted it to be robbed)

Comedian Jeff Stillson(?) had a bit about how athletes in press conferences always thank God for helping them win.  He said, just once he wanted to hear a losing player say, "Yeah.  Everything was going fine until Jesus made me fumble!"

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »
Does this mean that we aren't going to find out where the heck Ilana came from and how she knows Jacob?  I was really curious about that.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »

Comedian Jeff Stillson(?) had a bit about how athletes in press conferences always thank God for helping them win.  He said, just once he wanted to hear a losing player say, "Yeah.  Everything was going fine until Jesus made me fumble!"

YES!! It was Stillson. He's not great, but that always cracks me up.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »

Actually, Artz *was* being careful, but he blew up when he was holding a stick in one hand and started gesturing wildly.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
I see your point.  But how do we know that death was a bad thing?  What if she did do what she was intended to do and the island now let her die and move on to some place better?  Maybe Jacob now needs her to be dead, so she can see something in her afterlife that she needs to share with Hurley.  After all, we know there is some kind of afterlife.  What if Jacob needs to her to experience the afterlife?  I'm not saying this is totally my theory, but letís not jump to conclusions.

The problem is that Michael stated that they are not even free dead. They don't move to a better place,
but still have to stay on that island and weren't free to move on. That are the whispers.
So move on to a better place?

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
Anyone else think Illana's spontanious combustion last night was just a little too convenient for the writers?  Like they ran out of things to do with her, didn't want to explain who she was in relation to Jacob - so, just... BOOM.  ???

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »
Anyone else think Illana's spontanious combustion last night was just a little too convenient for the writers?  Like they ran out of things to do with her, didn't want to explain who she was in relation to Jacob - so, just... BOOM.  ???

Yes and no. I mean it was kind of convenient, but I haven't been watching her for 6 years, so who cares??

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »

The problem is that Michael stated that they are not even free dead. They don't move to a better place,
but still have to stay on that island and weren't free to move on. That are the whispers.
Right.  Michael did not move on because of what he did.  Maybe she did.  

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »
And all the whispers?
A lot of bad people trapped there after dead.
And why do they come with Richard and the others?

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »

Right.  Michael did not move on because of what he did.  Maybe she did.  

Nope.  Illana is stuck there for being stupid with dynamite.