Author Topic: Dynamite on the Black Rock  (Read 6429 times)

Offline sonofsuns34

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Dynamite on the Black Rock
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »
So it looks as if TPTB realized that Dynamite wasn't around in 1845 (when the 1st mates journal said the Black Rock set sail from England) and had the boat set sail from the Canary islands the same year dynamite was invented by Nobel, 1867... and now it is a moot point cus Hurley blew everything up!

p.s. Who in their right mind would drop a bag full of 150 year old dynamite!

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamite on the Black Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »
Dude you got a little Illana on you.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »
Did you not see this coming up Main Street...I knew she was going to go all Artz on us.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:46:13 AM »
So it looks as if TPTB realized that Dynamite wasn't around in 1845 (when the 1st mates journal said the Black Rock set sail from England) and had the boat set sail from the Canary islands the same year dynamite was invented by Nobel, 1867... and now it is a moot point cus Hurley blew everything up!

You have to remember Ilana said she was "trained for this". Which begs to ask - where do you train to deal with 150 year old dynamite? Is there a special base somewhere?

"Welcome to the Antiquated Ammunition Retreival and Transport Zone (AARTZ). Here you will spend the next three months studying, transporting and working with very old explosives. I will tell you now - some of you won't make it. Those who do will be highly trained. If you feel your nerves won't allow you to take this training, there is no shame in backing out now."

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »

You have to remember Ilana said she was "trained for this". Which begs to ask - where do you train to deal with 150 year old dynamite? Is there a special base somewhere?

"Welcome to the Antiquated Ammunition Retreival and Transport Zone (AARTZ). Here you will spend the next three months studying, transporting and working with very old explosives. I will tell you now - some of you won't make it. Those who do will be highly trained. If you feel your nerves won't allow you to take this training, there is no shame in backing out now."

LOL.  BRILLIANT!

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »

LOL.  BRILLIANT!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:21:31 AM »
You should have seen me watching this scene. I was sitting there, mouth agape because she was just walking around with the dynamite all willy nill-illy (uh, yeah, that works). I was thinking "Isn't that suppossed to be wrapped up in a wet T-shirt?? or something??" then when she put the water bottles down on top of it, I thought, okay, maybe the writers didn't feel like writing the whole "dynamite is dangerous" speech again in a way we haven't heard it, and we were just suppossed to kind of accept it and move on, then she blows up, and I was happy that they answered my unvoiced questions.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:25:22 AM »
You should have seen me watching this scene. I was sitting there, mouth agape because she was just walking around with the dynamite all willy nill-illy (uh, yeah, that works). I was thinking "Isn't that suppossed to be wrapped up in a wet T-shirt?? or something??" then when she put the water bottles down on top of it, I thought, okay, maybe the writers didn't feel like writing the whole "dynamite is dangerous" speech again in a way we haven't heard it, and we were just suppossed to kind of accept it and move on, then she blows up, and I was happy that they answered my unvoiced questions.

That was the same thought process I was going through!!  :D

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »
The question that I think is important from all of this is how can Jacob be good if he causes/lets people die simply because "the island" is done with him, assuming the island isn't a separate entity from Jacob and MIB.  But I interpret "the island is done with you" as "Jacob is done with you."  Another bullet point in why I doubt Jacob is a good guy.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »
The question that I think is important from all of this is how can Jacob be good if he causes/lets people die simply because "the island" is done with him, assuming the island isn't a separate entity from Jacob and MIB.  But I interpret "the island is done with you" as "Jacob is done with you."  Another bullet point in why I doubt Jacob is a good guy.

I think you're confusing the concept of "Letting someone die" and "making someone die". I mean you have to admit, that while the island needs you, it must be pretty cool to be indestructable...and therefore a good thing. And once the island is done with you, you are allowed to die. If you don't take the precautions you're suppossed to, that isn't the island's fault.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »
I don't think Ilana thinks it's cool.  She trained for it and was given a mission by Jacob and never really completed it.  You can debate the semantics of it, but there's something extremely cold about devoting yourself to protecting Jacob and the island, and when it doesn't need you anymore then boom.  Jack and Richard can't even try to kill themselves.  I don't see any point for Ilana's character other than to show the danger of putting your faith in the island and Jacob.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
I don't think Ilana thinks it's cool.  She trained for it and was given a mission by Jacob and never really completed it.  You can debate the semantics of it, but there's something extremely cold about devoting yourself to protecting Jacob and the island, and when it doesn't need you anymore then boom.  Jack and Richard can't even try to kill themselves.  I don't see any point for Ilana's character other than to show the danger of putting your faith in the island and Jacob.

Fair enough, I mean everyone is allowed to think what they want, but I don't think you should blame Jacob for Illana's carelessness with the dynamite.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
Like Jack said, "Maybe she died to show us to stay the hell away from dynomite"

When she placed those bottles in the bag, I was just waiting for it to go off. When it didn't I was like "hmmmm". Then she threw the bag to the ground.....  :o

Yeah, Jacob would have said "Uh you know that stuff is 150 years old...." Granted Richard won't died yet...however I agree - just because you think you are under the island's protection doesn't mean you have a blank check to act stupid....

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 12:50:26 PM »

Yeah once again this is NOT on Jacob. She said herself she had been training her whole life for that...Yet doesn't even know that you cant treat 150 year old sticks of Dyno like your backpack in 8th grade. She was completely careless with it. All on her. Artz blew while he was being SUPER careful. IIlana actually got a little extra leeway in that regard. She should have gone with the first water bottle slammed on top of the pile.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 01:23:15 PM »

Yeah once again this is NOT on Jacob. She said herself she had been training her whole life for that...Yet doesn't even know that you cant treat 150 year old sticks of Dyno like your backpack in 8th grade. She was completely careless with it. All on her. Artz blew while he was being SUPER careful. IIlana actually got a little extra leeway in that regard. She should have gone with the first water bottle slammed on top of the pile.

this might sound like I'm really stretching it to fit my needs, but Illana was closer to the survivors when she was initially banging the stuff around, and then walked away over to the water bottles, and then dropped the bag, so maybe the dynamite didn't go off because it would have killed Jack and them.