Author Topic: Sayid, Desmond, and Flocke  (Read 1416 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Sayid, Desmond, and Flocke
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:52:28 AM »
Sayid supposedly tied up Desmond because he didn't want him running away before FLocke could talk to him.

Yet we saw last week that Desmond happily and willingly left with Desmond, even said "Of course, lead the way" when Sayid said Dez needed to follow him. It made me wonder why he didn't just take Dez straight to FLocke since Desmond was completely serene and content in adhering to Sayid's wishes. I know that maybe Sayid felt FLocke should be shown Desmond privately...although I'm not exactly sure why. And how did Sayid know that Desmond what who/what Widmore's people had locked away on the sub? Did Des tell him on the way to FLocke's camp? lol

When Dez and FLocke were alone at the well, FLocke wanted to know why Desmond wasn't afraid. I'm assuming here that FLocke was beginning to understand that Desmond's lack of fear was due to some higher understanding of everything, perhaps, and that made him dangerous in some way? Yet Dez claimed that FLocke was really Locke (not that I buy that he really believed he was lol). Did MIB see through that after seeing Dez unnerved at being alone with him in the middle of the jungle?..."He knows I'm not really Locke. He knows how dangerous I am. He's not afraid of being out here with me, at all...something's wrong, here."

Or was FLocke's question about Dez' lack of fear more of a dropping of pretenses? "Look, you know what I'm about to do to you, why I brought you out here, who I really am...why aren't you afraid?"

Did Desmond's running over of Locke somehow weaken or effect FLocke in the original timeline? If Locke dies in the alternate timeline does that somehow connect to FLocke's actions? Or was Des simply getting revenge for FLocke pushing him down the well? lol

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Sayid, Desmond, and Flocke
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »
I think MIB needs them to be afraid to have any power of persuasion over them. Like Hades or something. He is empowered by the fear of men.

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:32:47 AM »
i think the reason that sayid didn't bring desmond straight to flocke is because flocke told him not too. he probably didn't want the whole camp to see desmond, then see that desmond didn't come back from their "walk"

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »
Don't think Flocke wanted the rest of the gang to see Des.

And Flocke was afraid of Des, simply because Des WASN"T afraid.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:53:43 AM »
Sayid supposedly tied up Desmond because he didn't want him running away before FLocke could talk to him.

Yet we saw last week that Desmond happily and willingly left with Desmond, even said "Of course, lead the way" when Sayid said Dez needed to follow him. It made me wonder why he didn't just take Dez straight to FLocke since Desmond was completely serene and content in adhering to Sayid's wishes. I know that maybe Sayid felt FLocke should be shown Desmond privately...although I'm not exactly sure why. And how did Sayid know that Desmond what who/what Widmore's people had locked away on the sub? Did Des tell him on the way to FLocke's camp? lol

You have completely lost me on the second to last sentence.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:25:18 PM by BobBX542 »

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:44:23 PM »
I like the idea that the "Why aren't you afraid" comment was implying that Des may know that he was going to get pushed down the well. Interests me. It also fits with the fact that MiB doesn't think he needs Des at all since he wasn't on the original flight. MiB knew Widmore wanted him very badly, and wanted to take away one of Widmore's pieces.

I think it may be more likely that he was using it in the "Why aren't you afraid of Me" sense though. I agree it has to do with the ability for MiB to manipulate him. With Des not being afraid MiB may lose a BIG part of his power over him.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »
i think the reason that sayid didn't bring desmond straight to flocke is because flocke told him not too. he probably didn't want the whole camp to see desmond, then see that desmond didn't come back from their "walk"

Flocke didn't even know it was Desmond on the boat, so he couldn't have instructed sayid to not bring him to camp.  He told Sayid to find out what was in the locked room Sawyer told him about because he 'doesn't like secrets'.  Sayid found out Widmore had Desmond and brought him back to Locke's camp.  When he got there, the first thing Sayid did was ask to speak to Locke alone.  Locke asked him if he found out what was hidden on the sub.  He didn't know Desmond was there until Sayid brought them together in the woods. 

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:13 PM »
Don't think Flocke wanted the rest of the gang to see Des.

As was mentioned, FLocke didn't know Des was locked away on the sub, or was even ON the sub...so he wouldn't have instructed Sayid to not bring him back to the camp.

He told Sayid to find out what was in the locked room Sawyer told him about because he 'doesn't like secrets'.  Sayid found out Widmore had Desmond and brought him back to Locke's camp.  When he got there, the first thing Sayid did was ask to speak to Locke alone.  Locke asked him if he found out what was hidden on the sub.  He didn't know Desmond was there until Sayid brought them together in the woods. 

Which still begs the question: how did Sayid know Dez was the "thing" locked away on the sub?

I like the idea that the "Why aren't you afraid" comment was implying that Des may know that he was going to get pushed down the well. Interests me. It also fits with the fact that MiB doesn't think he needs Des at all since he wasn't on the original flight. MiB knew Widmore wanted him very badly, and wanted to take away one of Widmore's pieces.

I like that thought a lot :) It would indicate that perhaps MIB doesn't realize how important Desmond is to everything, he only thinks Desmond is important to Widmore.

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 02:45:47 PM »
Well, he did see Zoe and the other guy pulling a groggy Desmond up out of the sub. Was he handcuffed? Regardless, I thought it was fairly reasonable to assume that he was a prisoner, which is what people tend to keep behind locked doors. At least in MY home. ;)

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 06:05:02 PM »
I think MIB needs them to be afraid to have any power of persuasion over them. Like Hades or something. He is empowered by the fear of men.
The first time Smokey confronted Mr. Eko, he flashed at him and then turned back into the jungle.  Charlie asked him why Smokey didn't kill him, and Eko said "I was not afraid" or something like that.  Fear is definitely something Smokey looks for.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 10:03:46 PM »

LOL!  I think he was asking how Sayid knew that Desmond WAS what Widmore's people had locked away.

I guess he knew because he was in the water and saw them bring him out of the sub.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 10:51:11 PM »

LOL!  I think he was asking how Sayid knew that Desmond WAS what Widmore's people had locked away.

I guess he knew because he was in the water and saw them bring him out of the sub.

Whoops lol  :D..."what who/what"...that should have read "was who/what".

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 08:36:02 AM »
The first time Smokey confronted Mr. Eko, he flashed at him and then turned back into the jungle.  Charlie asked him why Smokey didn't kill him, and Eko said "I was not afraid" or something like that.  Fear is definitely something Smokey looks for.
Exactly. I thought of this later last night but looks like we were on the same wavelength.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 11:16:20 AM »

Whoops lol  :D..."what who/what"...that should have read "was who/what".

Now that I see it, it seems so obvious that I should have gotten it, but my brain refused to try and process that. LOL, it made me go crosseyed and what have you.