Author Topic: Jack contrasted with Locke...  (Read 2001 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Jack contrasted with Locke...
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:26:37 AM »
I thought the exchange between Jack and Hurley was quite poignant, especially as compared to John "Don't tell me what I can't do!" Locke...

Hurley:  Then why'd ya come with me?

Jack: Ever since Juliet died - ever since I got her killed - all I've wanted is to fix it.  But I can't.  I can't ever fix it.  You have no idea how hard it is for me to sit back and let other people tell me what I should do... but, I think maybe that's the point.  Maybe, maybe I'm supposed to let go. 

Hurley:  Unless you letting go gets us killed.  Going to see Locke was my idea, not Jacob's.

Jack:  Hurley, you asked me to trust you.  This is me trusting you.

Jack finally gets it, whereas Locke never did, probably never could.

I can't help thinking of that scene from The Life And Death Of Jeremy Bentham:

KATE: Have you ever been in love, John?
LOCKE: What?
KATE: I think about you sometimes. I think about how desperate you were to stay on that Island. And then I realized... it was all because you didn't love anybody.
LOCKE: That's not true. I loved someone... once. Her name was Helen.
KATE: What happened?
LOCKE: Well... it--it... it just didn't work out.
KATE: Why not, John?
LOCKE: I was angry. I was... ob-obsessed.
KATE: And look how far you've come.

Locke could never let go - and just when he maybe, just maybe might have started to, Ben offed him.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:30:55 AM by MachThree »

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Jack contrasted with Locke...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:28:07 AM »
Locke could never let go - and just when he maybe, just maybe might have started to, Ben offed him.

Well, if you consider committing suicide "letting go", then you're right lol. Because Locke was in the middle of killing himself when Ben stopped him, then killed him anyway.

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »
I thought the exchange between Jack and Hurley was quite poignant, especially as compared to John "Don't tell me what I can't do!" Locke...

Hurley:  Then why'd ya come with me?

Jack: Ever since Juliet died - ever since I got her killed - all I've wanted is to fix it.  But I can't.  I can't ever fix it.  You have no idea how hard it is for me to sit back and let other people tell me what I should do... but, I think maybe that's the point.  Maybe, maybe I'm supposed to let go. 

This is also what Rose told Jack in LA X after the turbulents that didn't bring the plane down this time. "You can let go now."

So yeah, I think you're onto something. Jack has learned something his second time through.

Hurley:  Unless you letting go gets us killed.  Going to see Locke was my idea, not Jacob's.

The thing about choices is that no decision is a decision too. You're still left with a quandary when you don't know whether to follow your heart or your head. And making the right move, despite what we've learned from Leave it to Beaver, does not always mean that things will turn out for the best. I think Lost will be taking a more adult/complex stance on what it means to be good. Sometimes the best intentions don't work out the way you hoped. We really don't know what's best until it unfolds.

Jack:  Hurley, you asked me to trust you.  This is me trusting you.

Jack finally gets it, whereas Locke never did, probably never could.

I can't help thinking of that scene from The Life And Death Of Jeremy Bentham:

KATE: Have you ever been in love, John?
LOCKE: What?
KATE: I think about you sometimes. I think about how desperate you were to stay on that Island. And then I realized... it was all because you didn't love anybody.
LOCKE: That's not true. I loved someone... once. Her name was Helen.
KATE: What happened?
LOCKE: Well... it--it... it just didn't work out.
KATE: Why not, John?
LOCKE: I was angry. I was... ob-obsessed.
KATE: And look how far you've come.

yes. Powerful stuff. The stories of both Jack and Locke are dear to me. I'm hoping it can somehow work out the best for both of them but I doubt it. Yes, even the reincarnated Locke/MiB. I think he has a speech to make yet.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:16:35 AM »
Not quite the same topic, but was this the first time Jack has seen Locke "alive" since they left LA? Jack's reaction to seeing him stuck me as if he were surprised.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:27:20 AM »
Not quite the same topic, but was this the first time Jack has seen Locke "alive" since they left LA? Jack's reaction to seeing him stuck me as if he were surprised.
Oh he definitely was. I mean, he already knew that "Locke" was walking around but when he saw him I think it really struck a chord. And yeah, it was their first face to face since the hospital after Locke gets into the accident. (Right after Ben kills Abbadon).

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »

Well, if you consider committing suicide "letting go", then you're right lol. Because Locke was in the middle of killing himself when Ben stopped him, then killed him anyway.

But would he have been able to kill himself?  Was the island through with him?

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:49:22 AM »

But would he have been able to kill himself?  Was the island through with him?

Perhaps the island wasn't through with Locke...but he had to assist the island in another way. Note how wierdly mystical UnLocke was being while carving the staff. "When it tells me what it is I'll know" Reminded me of the first season with Locke telling how they had to hunt and acting strangely in connection with the island.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
Note how wierdly mystical UnLocke was being while carving the staff. "When it tells me what it is I'll know" Reminded me of the first season with Locke telling how they had to hunt and acting strangely in connection with the island.

That bit actually reminded me of Eko carving posts for the church he was building and Charlie asking him what he was making.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »
Note how wierdly mystical UnLocke was being while carving the staff. "When it tells me what it is I'll know" Reminded me of the first season with Locke telling how they had to hunt and acting strangely in connection with the island.

Not to mention Eko's Jesus Stick. 

That bit actually reminded me of Eko carving posts for the church he was building and Charlie asking him what he was making.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »

It seemed like a John Locke thing to say. More evidence that the real JL is coming through?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »

But Eko knew that he was building a church, he was just being cryptic with Charlie because, um, he's cryptic. But he did tell him what they were building.