Author Topic: Whispers  (Read 6912 times)

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Whispers
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 04:57:21 PM »
Yeah I think the whole, "How Hurley got the power" is going to be left up to us. It may have been a power he always had which is why it was so imperitive for him to be on the original 815. He lands with the losties, the island amplifies his abilities, and he plays an integral role in defeating MiB.

The only problem I have with this is why his abilities didn't manifest until AFTER he was already back home.

He always had the abilities but he didn't need them the first time they were on the island.  The first time they crashed he was just a survivor with everyone else.  When he returned to the island the second time he had a mission, something to accomplish, and his abilities are now helping him.  Prior to this it just wasn't time yet, none of them were ready or knew what their purpose was yet.

Just doesn't work for me. It doesn't make sense that he could talk to dead people the whole time, but just didn't because he didn't have to.

Well, he doesn't talk to dead people at will.  THEY appear to HIM so I don't think he has any control over when they show up.  THEY were choosing to talk to him when he was ready to take on his mission (the second trip).

Okay, I can understand that, but then that raises even more questions. How did they know they could talk to him?? Did they just take the chance and try to talk to someone, and just by chance, the first time they try, it happened to be the guy who can talk to them??

I would just assume that dead people are all knowing.  Their knowledge is no longer limited by the confines of the human brain.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »
You assume that?? Then why wouldn't they want to have Hurley and all them amongst them and be all knowing in the after life?? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick a fight over this, it's just not worth it, I just don't see the logic in this. Not because of your POV, but because they haven't told us about his power enough.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 05:03:04 PM »
You assume that?? Then why wouldn't they want to have Hurley and all them amongst them and be all knowing in the after life?? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick a fight over this, it's just not worth it, I just don't see the logic in this. Not because of your POV, but because they haven't told us about his power enough.

I'm hoping they explain it. There are really only Desmond's and Hurley's powers to be explained. They CAN do it, but I won't be pissed if its left to my imagination.

Offline cookieshoes

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
So, if the whispers are dead people roaming the island...how does that explain Walt's "whisper" appearances on the island? 

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 05:53:03 PM »
It explains the whispers, but not the appearance. I think they are aart from one another. Could be the whispers conjured up when they saw Walt was going to be projected for whatever reason. Could also be a continuity error

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »
So, if the whispers are dead people roaming the island...how does that explain Walt's "whisper" appearances on the island? 

As lame an answer as this is, it could have just been a coincidence. But it might be something the Others were testing. Maybe the others used the whispers to sneak around the island, and Walt had somehow managed to do it as well.

Offline cookieshoes

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 06:31:35 PM »
Thinking about it a little more, could Walt then perhaps be dead?  His appearance to Locke, after Ben shot him in the grave, was actually the MIB appearing as Walt, so that MIB could further his plans. And, so far, the MIB has proven to only be able to appear as dead people.

So, in addition to the whispers, Walt appeared via the MIB. Even though Walt was shown alive off-island, might he already have died on-island as part of some time travel continuity as yet explained??

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 10:04:04 PM »
So, we finally got an answer about the whispers.... but they must have some kind of power... warning others, taking or moving others to where they need to go....could Christian be a whisper or is he MIB?

I can't see that they have power. I think they are warning people or just whining about being stuck on the island.
Christian's form may have been used by MIB before but MIB is now stuck in Locke's form

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 10:09:58 PM »
I don't believe Hurley always had the ability to talk to dead people. i believe it started on the island and the isalnd chose hurley to have this ability. The island seeked out the most sympathetic candidate to use to protect the island

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
Yes Hurley has empathy that is certain and these dead folks are lonely like him.  I hope that at some point the audio is clear enough to hear what they have to say.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 02:12:24 PM »
Yeah.  I had been leaning towards the Whispers being connected to MIB (but I guess he has his own distinct sound).  But we've been told that MIB can no longer appear as anyone other than Locke.  So this Michael is definitely not MIB.  (But he seemed to be giving Hurley advice, which is [A] non-Jacob-like, as Richard pointed out; and seemed to be in sync with what MIB wants, i.e., don't blow up the plane.)

Michael also showed them the way to find MIB.

Yeah and sent them on their way to MiB who is trying to kill every last one of them. Mark my words. You are going to be shocked when MiB carries out his plan of trying to kill all the losties. I Hope you come on here and try to defend MiB whenever that happens too. You are already doing it with the Desmond thing. Why would MiB ask Des why he isn't afraid if there is no reason TO be afraid. Immediately afterwards throws him down a well.

I will be here my love. Will you be here too if MIB turns out to be the good one and David Shepard?

I am still amazed by your poise and grace in the face of the constant snide, baiting remarks of I_Am_Jacob.  Stick to your ideas and keep staying on the high ground above the meanness! :)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 03:21:03 PM »
Thank you Zeek. I am glad there are people like you here too.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »
If MiB turns out to have some wierd reason for trying to kill Des and turns out to be good I will still be here. If he turns out to be David Shepherd however I won't be here. I will be busy impaling myself after watching the writers ruin one of the two best shows ever on TV.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »
The longer they go without giving MIB a name, the more I start to think...opie may be right about David. I don't think the theory is right, but I havn't been able to prove it wrong yet either. As a precaution, I may just lock up all sharp objects on May 23rd.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 04:40:35 PM »
I have a feeling either one or two things are going to happen.

1.) They know the name will be telling of their backstory which they are saving for a later time. (If it is Esau or Jacob)

2.) They just won't tell us his name. I don't think it matters what his name is, as long as it isn't David Shepherd. That would suck. If they give us their backstory I'll be good with that. I can see them giving us a backstory similar to the theory of Jacob and Esau. Then not use Esau's name so as to keep the freedom to play with the story a bit. Just a thought.