Poll

In this episode, will we get the lovely and mindbending 4,8,15,16,23,42 again? And in what way?

For sure, it's a Hurley episode
10 (47.6%)
They're explained and done with
4 (19%)
No idea, but I hope so...
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Will the Numbers Reemerge?  (Read 3963 times)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Numbers Reemerge?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 02:00:41 PM »
I don't think it would be much of a leap for us to guess that there will be a new set of Numbers.  I mean, we all have the "inside knowledge" that they're coefficients to the Valenzetti Equation and that the goal was to change them.

I've been trying to notice whether they've been sending us hints of a new set of Numbers for a while now.

- Seems like "316" from the Ajira flight should have something to do with it, so maybe 3 and 16.
- Kates number is 51, so maybe that one.
- 108 for "Wallace", whoever that turns out to be.  (Most people think Jacob was referring to Desmond when he said, "He'll have to find his own way to the Island.")
- When Desmond went into the MRI machine, I jotted down "E1 A37 215 C46 ***" reading over the top of it.
- Tonight, we had Hurley's serving number was 38, but Desmond's was 42.  [Hurley's original number was 8.]
- I remember on that limited series "The Unusuals", Harold Perrineaux [Michael]'s character had an episode where he said was "connected to the number 42" and then by the end of it, it changed to something else but I can't remember what.  Seems like there was a bus number or something that broke the string.  I want to say "37" or something, but I didn't write it down and nobody believed that series or "Life On Mars" could have had any clues in it about LOST.  [I'd be interested if anyone could track down a transcript of that episode.]

No WAY they are going to give us new numbers with any sort of pertinence to them. We are coming to the end of the show now. The only way new numbers will be significant is as a demonstration of how everything is different.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »
Oh, yeah:

- Richard was reading Luke 14:24 - 29 in jail.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »
No WAY they are going to give us new numbers with any sort of pertinence to them. We are coming to the end of the show now. The only way new numbers will be significant is as a demonstration of how everything is different.

Nicely put.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »

Nicely put.

Thank you. Thank you. I have my moments.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 03:41:50 PM »
Maybe there are different numbers in the Alt timeline that would be the variables in the Valentzi equation for that timeline.

BUT - is the Valentzi equation thing actually considered canon?  I thought it came from a jigsaw puzzle or some such thing.  Is it Canon if its not in the show?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 03:48:40 PM »
Maybe there are different numbers in the Alt timeline that would be the variables in the Valentzi equation for that timeline.

BUT - is the Valentzi equation thing actually considered canon?  I thought it came from a jigsaw puzzle or some such thing.  Is it Canon if its not in the show?

I think that question kind of goes to something I heard Damon and Carlton say in one of their podcasts. They said they will answer the questions "that are important to the characters". So with that in mind, I'm not sure how important the Valenzetti equation is to our characters, which means they likely won't even mention it again.

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 10:01:44 PM »

I think that question kind of goes to something I heard Damon and Carlton say in one of their podcasts. They said they will answer the questions "that are important to the characters". So with that in mind, I'm not sure how important the Valenzetti equation is to our characters, which means they likely won't even mention it again.

The numbers were very important in getting them to the island and revealing things. I do hope the writers wrap that up for us show only followers (I never heard of the Valentzi equation until this thread - I don't watch any other content than the show).

I do miss them and all the easter eggs I used to watch out for. Now it's just more of a "hurry up and tell me how it ends" kind of thing.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 12:12:17 AM »

The numbers were very important in getting them to the island and revealing things. I do hope the writers wrap that up for us show only followers (I never heard of the Valentzi equation until this thread - I don't watch any other content than the show).

I do miss them and all the easter eggs I used to watch out for. Now it's just more of a "hurry up and tell me how it ends" kind of thing.

So the numbers on the Lighthouse don't satisfy you as an explaination to the numbers? I mean the rock wall and the "Jacob has a thing for numbers." left me a bit wanting, but the bearings on the lighthouse seemed to work for me.

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »
I honestly expected Leonard to start reeling off the numbers while Hurley was visiting with Libby, and thought that might set off his memories. I like the kiss better though...

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:05:34 PM »

So the numbers on the Lighthouse don't satisfy you as an explaination to the numbers? I mean the rock wall and the "Jacob has a thing for numbers." left me a bit wanting, but the bearings on the lighthouse seemed to work for me.

I guess I'd like to hear about how they became broadcast from the island (and why) and why they're bad luck for Hurley (aside from winning the lottery).

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 05:08:22 PM »

I guess I'd like to hear about how they became broadcast from the island (and why) and why they're bad luck for Hurley (aside from winning the lottery).
See my earlier post in this thread about this - I suspect Hurley is the winning Candidate, and uses his new Jacob powers to go back in time, create the radio tower and record the broadcast. 

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »
Yeah that could definately be the case. However it could be the case if Hurley gets either the Jacob position or the Richard Position and tells whoever gets the Jacob position to do it.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »

I guess I'd like to hear about how they became broadcast from the island (and why).

You make a really good point. I'd actually like to hear about that too now that you mention it.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »
Desmond's order was #42, doesn't that correspond to Jin and Sun? I kept expecting them to pop up in Des' path.